Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

Is Hotels.com "free night" better than rewards program?

Is Hotels.com "free night" better than rewards program?

Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:13 pm
  #226  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PDX|AKL|AMS|GVA|AGP|CPT - or somewhere in between
Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Posts: 2,417
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Trying to merge gift cards has become super annoying now. Have to call in, verify name, initial load amount, and where you got the card.

Just finished loading ten to my primary in less than 5 minutes.
After almost a year now I'm getting used to this task and chat with my "new friends" in Manila.

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Best guess is its their attempt to crack down on GC fraud.
My guess too.
Travelomania is offline  
Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:46 pm
  #227  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 5,847
Originally Posted by Travelomania
Just finished loading ten to my primary in less than 5 minutes.
After almost a year now I'm getting used to this task and chat with my "new friends" in Manila.



My guess too.
The issue is lets say you buy someone's card on Ebay or Raise.com. Then you get asked to verify 1) initial load amount and 2) where the card initially came from. You might not know the answer to either of those questions which means they won't let you merge them. That sucks.
Sandeep1 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:49 pm
  #228  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 2
Looks like the online merge tool is back
sonofzeus likes this.
TravelChampion is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:10 am
  #229  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PDX|AKL|AMS|GVA|AGP|CPT - or somewhere in between
Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Posts: 2,417
Originally Posted by TravelChampion
Looks like the online merge tool is back
Fantastic news - thanks for alerting ^
The tool is now better than before - I was able to merge multiples in one go !
Travelomania is offline  
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:23 pm
  #230  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PDX|AKL|AMS|GVA|AGP|CPT - or somewhere in between
Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Posts: 2,417
Originally Posted by Travelomania
The tool is now better than before - I was able to merge multiples in one go !
Uh Oh ! .... my first hiccups are here:

Sorry, that card has previously been merged, and cannot be merged again on this site. Please contact Hotels.com gift card customer service at 888-999-4468 for further help
I'm trying to hold onto my Primary gift card that I've been using and adding onto for many years now.
Apparently the merge tool allows only new gift cards to be added/topped off online.

And the limit of cards to merge now seems to be 4
Sorry, you have exceeded the number of balance checks you can perform, please try again later.

Last edited by Travelomania; Jan 22, 2020 at 5:57 pm
Travelomania is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:12 pm
  #231  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 5,847
Originally Posted by Travelomania
Uh Oh ! .... my first hiccups are here:



I'm trying to hold onto my Primary gift card that I've been using and adding onto for many years now.
Apparently the merge tool allows only new gift cards to be added/topped off online.

And the limit of cards to merge now seems to be 4
Sometimes when that happens, I'll book a hotel where the total cost comes in just under my current balance. Then I'll cancel and generate a new gift card number. Easy to merge at that point.
Sandeep1 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:27 pm
  #232  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PDX|AKL|AMS|GVA|AGP|CPT - or somewhere in between
Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Posts: 2,417
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Sometimes when that happens, I'll book a hotel where the total cost comes in just under my current balance. Then I'll cancel and generate a new gift card number. Easy to merge at that point.
I called in and as usual the merging went very smooth.
My Primary card has usually a balance of around $2.5k and I add 10 gift cards at once.
I was surprised to learn this time that the agent knew exactly where and when the new gift cards were purchased and how the Primary card was generated many years ago.
Travelomania is offline  
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:19 am
  #233  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 60137
Posts: 10,498
Merge tool just worked for me!!
sonofzeus is offline  
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:39 am
  #234  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 227
does anyone else have issues with coupon codes not working online - being going on for 3 days now - the gold team even gave me another coupon that could not be redeemed online and had to call to use it
jonathanev is offline  
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:12 am
  #235  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 5,847
Originally Posted by jonathanev
does anyone else have issues with coupon codes not working online - being going on for 3 days now - the gold team even gave me another coupon that could not be redeemed online and had to call to use it
The only issue I ever had with coupon codes not working is with the bonus night coupons (i.e. stay 1 night and get 2 nights credit). Had a few instances where the extra night wasn't credited but the gold team quickly fixed.
Sandeep1 is offline  
Old May 17, 2020, 6:40 pm
  #236  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Posts: 5,153
2x credits book by May 24th

Just checked the app, as we're going to be free to travel within Thailand starting June 1st and Hotels.com is offering double credits on all stays booked by May 24th for June 1 to Aug 31. Use the coupon code one time only and of course, the value of the reward night is only based upon actual spend. Still may be worth it.
rbAA is offline  
Old May 18, 2020, 4:53 am
  #237  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 11,595
Remember, there's a limited number of uses of the promo code allowed. The first 12,444 codes used will get the double stamps deal, after that, nothing. Not sure how you can know once all the code uses have been consumed, apart from the fact that the system will probably just reject it.

https://uk.hotels.com/hotel-deals/do...id=aff.hcom.uk
Concerto is offline  
Old May 18, 2020, 2:47 pm
  #238  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Argentina
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Accor Plus Silver
Posts: 182
I read in a few blogs about Hotels.com offering 15% bonus if you accept a gift card instead of cc refund after cancellation.

Did anyone where get this offer?
lautaro is offline  
Old Aug 15, 2020, 5:55 pm
  #239  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 2
I absolutely despise the Hotels.com rewards system. The "buy 10 get one free" scheme has never worked for me.
For whatever reason, it gives me some bs about how my rewards can't be used for the free room.

It costs too much.
It's a weekend or a special event.
No Stamp given because I used a coupon.
Your rewards are expired.

I'm sure Hotels.com thinks they can manipulate people into booking more rooms by putting a 1-year expiration date on rewards, but it's a major turn off for me.
9/10 you can find a significantly lower rate on Priceline, so I might not book with Hotels.com for a while until they can offer competitive rates.
Does it make economic sense to BUY 10 ROOMS AT FULL PRICE just to get 1-free room "of equal or lessor value"? No! Especially when you know it will always be lessor. Say your free room is up to $500 and the room you book is $450, you can kiss that $50 goodbye because it doesn't roll over.

Since I joined MGM's MLife, I haven't paid for a hotel room in 2 years. MGM will put me up for free at a dozen or so Hotels in Vegas. (real nice rooms too). I gamble a lot so they've even paid for my airfare to go to Detroit, Cleveland and Mississippi and given me a free Cruise on Celebrity.
Vam Giovingo Monaco is offline  
Old Aug 16, 2020, 11:58 am
  #240  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,458
Originally Posted by Vam Giovingo Monaco
I absolutely despise the Hotels.com rewards system. The "buy 10 get one free" scheme has never worked for me.
For whatever reason, it gives me some bs about how my rewards can't be used for the free room.

It costs too much.
It's a weekend or a special event.
No Stamp given because I used a coupon.
Your rewards are expired.

I'm sure Hotels.com thinks they can manipulate people into booking more rooms by putting a 1-year expiration date on rewards, but it's a major turn off for me.
9/10 you can find a significantly lower rate on Priceline, so I might not book with Hotels.com for a while until they can offer competitive rates.
Does it make economic sense to BUY 10 ROOMS AT FULL PRICE just to get 1-free room "of equal or lessor value"? No! Especially when you know it will always be lessor. Say your free room is up to $500 and the room you book is $450, you can kiss that $50 goodbye because it doesn't roll over.

Since I joined MGM's MLife, I haven't paid for a hotel room in 2 years. MGM will put me up for free at a dozen or so Hotels in Vegas. (real nice rooms too). I gamble a lot so they've even paid for my airfare to go to Detroit, Cleveland and Mississippi and given me a free Cruise on Celebrity.
Booking 9 rooms at the cheapest price on Hotels.com (after research and only booking if their rooms are equal to or less than other sites) and getting that free room is stupid. I prefer to get my free rooms by losing (or at least risking) tens of thousands of dollars gambling as well. But hey, the room is 'free'.

Sarcasm aside there is no points or free night scheme that works for ever single person and their needs. Hotels.com works when it works and I have received quite a few free nights using them without paying any more for the room than on another site. Most of my booked rooms are in SE Asia which may be an area it works better that where you stay. MLife is useless for me because I do not stay at casino hotels when I go to Vegas as I stay free with family. Does that make MLife a lousy program compared to my cost? I get a free room and don't have to possibly lose any of my money. No, it doesn't. What I am saying is everyone should use what works for them and if you have helpful advice pass it on, if not, don't.
estnet and eponymous_coward like this.

Last edited by rc408; Aug 16, 2020 at 12:18 pm
rc408 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.