Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$50 off Hotel Bookings on Orbitz Using VISA Checkout

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tatterdema
I have found the availability is the same on both Orbitz and Hotelclub. The only difference I have found, is in the way you search for them. Hotelclub site is glitchy, in that it only searches part of the city you are looking at. Even if you put in the hotel name, it will not bring it up on hotelclub.com unless the part of the city is correct. Took me forever to find the hotel I wanted in PVR on hotelclub. I finally found it by just typing in Vallarta, Mexico. It would not bring it up any other way.

Orbitz also throws in hotels that are not available, but Hotelclub does not.
There is definitely some truth to this. I don't know if it's the whole problem, but I know it happens. Indeed, several years ago, HotelClub was giving away $50/booking, no strings attached. It was sometimes difficult to use that deal -- until I realized the problem you're talking about ("hidden" hotels). I guess all these years later, they still haven't fixed the problem! I suppose the best strategy might be to first search on Orbitz, and then try to replicate that deal on HotelClub. I'll probably revisit a couple of searches that previously turned up nothing useful. I did already notice that "New Orleans" turns up different results than "MSY" that turns up difference results than "Kenner" that turns up different results than "Metarie"!

Originally Posted by jackal
Some FlyerTalkers sure are picky about their hotels.

What you describe is very much the typical place I stay on my travels--except to take advantage of this promo, I actually had to up the price of hotels I was looking at to meet the threshold of the promo.
Ha! I think I'm much less picky than MOST flyertalkers. But with a deal like this -- where I'm basically going to have to pay 50 bucks for the room -- it can't be awful. Like I won't really consider anything that gets lousy reviews. If the total cost was only going to be something like 10 bucks (ie, they weren't imposing a minimum spend), I might be somewhat less picky (as long as the place was clean and safe).
Old Dec 13, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Made two bookings for my Turkey trip with my Amex and it worked fine.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:35 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I got a hotel in roppongi for 50 dollars a night and additional cash back with big crumbs for 4 bucks and some more via this hotel thing
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the 14% topcashback for HotelClub is going to end today or tomorrow, so it's a good time to hunt for any remaining trips. Found a decent motel in Hotel Circle in SAN for about US$40 after the code and cashback; good alternative to using my Choice Privileges points.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:40 pm

Used it tonight for a hotel near AKL -- worked fine, thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by iahphx
I think the 14% topcashback for HotelClub is going to end today or tomorrow, so it's a good time to hunt for any remaining trips. Found a decent motel in Hotel Circle in SAN for about US$40 after the code and cashback; good alternative to using my Choice Privileges points.
About half the time I use TCB for HotelClub, I see that it's "going to end soon." But then every time I go back to TCB to book something through HotelClub, it's still 14%.

So either they constantly re-up it or I'm very lucky.

We'll see tomorrow, though, as according to TCB right now, the "Exclusive Offer" "Ends Today!"
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
About half the time I use TCB for HotelClub, I see that it's "going to end soon." But then every time I go back to TCB to book something through HotelClub, it's still 14%.

So either they constantly re-up it or I'm very lucky.

We'll see tomorrow, though, as according to TCB right now, the "Exclusive Offer" "Ends Today!"
Ah, one of those "expirations." I guess we'll see.

That said, you'd figure this deal will end soon -- the $50 offs don't usually linger so long.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:58 am

Looks like www.topcashback.com is down...
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by medium_alpaca
Looks like www.topcashback.com is down...
Yeah, it's been dodgy all day today. Mid-December has got to be the worst time for a cashback website to be down. Heads will roll!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: UNITED 1P
I just tried to make a booking in japan for April 6th. Was givne the error msg that it is valid for bookings till April 1st only. So maybe they fixed the bug on the date.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by nanirina
I just tried to make a booking in japan for April 6th. Was givne the error msg that it is valid for bookings till April 1st only. So maybe they fixed the bug on the date.
Yes, if you read the previous pages, they already fixed the date days ago
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Dead.

We're sorry but limited numbers of this promotion code were available for redemption and the limit has been reached.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (Silver), PriorityClub (Platinum), BA, AA, CO, Hilton Honor, SPG
Yeah.. Finally
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Anyone else that used hotel club and top cash back get their transaction declined?

It was around $14 and topcashback says "Merchant declined the transaction" yet the hotels are still booked and paid for...
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by coleworld
Anyone else that used hotel club and top cash back get their transaction declined?

It was around $14 and topcashback says "Merchant declined the transaction" yet the hotels are still booked and paid for...
I prepaid for a room on HotelClub.com via TopCashBack half a year in advance. The transaction did not post (it may very well have said declined; this was this past summer, so it's been awhile), and the "click" to HotelClub was too old to use their automated system to report (I think the system only goes back 100 days). However, I contacted TopCashBack manually and they manually reopened the old "click" to HotelClub, allowing me to submit a claim which was approved, and I got my $30 or whatever it was.

I asked if I would have problems in the future with significantly advanced bookings (because obviously the cashback won't post until the stay is actually completed, but that can be >100 days after booking). I don't normally book hotels that far out, so it's not a major concern, but they said anytime it does happen, they are always able to go in and manually reopen the old "click" and process the claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.