Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKIA Frequent Visitor Card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: LY GL
Originally Posted by christep
You don't actually "have to register" for the e-channel - it's an option if you are happy handing over your fingerprint data.

The alternative is to use the manned desk which is dedicated to "Frequent Visitor Card holders" (and maybe one or two other categories). This means that you still get processed by an Immigration Officer, but you bypass the sometimes long queue for the normal "Visitors" desks.

First time you have to use the manned desk for "Frequent Visitors". Whether you then register for the e-channel is up to you. Since I have never seen any queue at all at the frequent visitor manned desk then you would be saving very little time if any using the e-channel, so in principle I don't see why you might want to hand over your fingerprint information.
Thanks ! now i fully understand.
i think i'll opt for the e-channel after i pass immigration.

thanks
Old May 13, 2012, 1:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, A3 GLD, AC ELT; AA EXP | SPG PLT, PC PLT, Hilton GLD, Hyatt PLT | National EXEC, Hertz 5*
Valid for 5 years now?

Has any people got a card recently? How long is the validity?

I applied this March and just got my card, showing the expiration date in March 2017 I thought it is only valid for 2 years so supposedly only till March 2014. I don't know whether it is b/c somebody fat-fingered on numeric keyboard or the policy changed.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by teddybw
Has any people got a card recently? How long is the validity?

I applied this March and just got my card, showing the expiration date in March 2017 I thought it is only valid for 2 years so supposedly only till March 2014. I don't know whether it is b/c somebody fat-fingered on numeric keyboard or the policy changed.
Hi teddybw,

I have just received my card, too. It is valid through Apr 2017. I guess it should be a policy change.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

I guess when now there's the increased usage of the passport channel they figure out less people really need the FVP channel? When most people have a recognizable FFP can sign up the eChannel (after the one time pain) I just see increased adoption and decrease use in FVP.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Old topic

Just have a friend who wants to sign up to this. But when he went to the airport after immigration on arrival the last time with proof of 3 entrys and exits through HKIA they said no.

Has there been a policy change now so that only frequent flyer members and other VIP's those not included from select countries?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by tris06
Just have a friend who wants to sign up to this. But when he went to the airport after immigration on arrival the last time with proof of 3 entrys and exits through HKIA they said no.

Has there been a policy change now so that only frequent flyer members and other VIP's those not included from select countries?
I thought it was 4 entries in the last 12 months? That's what they told me anyways. And they don't give out the card anymore, but instead they will register you in the e-channel where you just scan your passport and fingerprint and pass through the gates.

I'm not sure if I got away with something, but I showed them my United Gold card which has the Star Alliance gold logo and that was close enough to the SQ Solitaire card and they accepted it!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
HKIS web site is very clear about qualifications for eChannel, it is no longer a card but a barcode sticker on the back cover of your passport that you scan and thumbprint at the auto entry gates.

Perhaps your friend should check about their qualification? Just three visits does not automatically qualify you.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:09 am

Unless you qualify with the right Frequent Flyer card or such, the requirement is "visits to the HKSAR via the Hong Kong International Airport for no fewer than 3 times in the past 12 months immediately before enrolment for the e-Channel service." In this case, it's also available only if, given your nationality, you can visit HK without a visa.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/..._visitors.html
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm not sure if I got away with something, but I showed them my United Gold card which has the Star Alliance gold logo and that was close enough to the SQ Solitaire card and they accepted it!
I don't think you got away with anything. Any level of United premier qualifies.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Steve M
I don't think you got away with anything. Any level of United premier qualifies.
OK, I wasn't sure. On the wall there they showed the VIP cards that qualify and only the SQ card was displayed. Not United.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
OK, I wasn't sure. On the wall there they showed the VIP cards that qualify and only the SQ card was displayed. Not United.
Qualified FFP are from following carriers:
Air Canada, Air China, Air France, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Dragonair, China Airlines, China Southern, Delta, Ethiopian, Eva Airways, Finnair, Hainan Airlines, Hong Kong Airlines, Hong Kong Express, Japan Airlines, Jet Airways, Kingfisher, KLM, Korean Air, Lufthansa, Malaysia Airlines, Philippine Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Brunei, Singapore Airlines, Swiss, Thai Airways, United, and Virgin Atlantic.

Bear in mind, as 889 mentioned, it also depends upon your passport if no visa required to visit HK.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Also, depending on the FF program, only certain levels are qualified. They have a big book with pictures of all the cards which qualify, although if your program changed the look of its cards (the way Aeroplan seems to do almost every year) you might have to point that out. I got mine this month, and had to show them that although the design changed, the words were the same.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by islandcub1
Also, depending on the FF program, only certain levels are qualified. They have a big book with pictures of all the cards which qualify, although if your program changed the look of its cards (the way Aeroplan seems to do almost every year) you might have to point that out. I got mine this month, and had to show them that although the design changed, the words were the same.
So they waive the 3/4 entries in the last 12-month requirement if you have the right FFP card?

And the e-channel sticker is good for 5-year?

BTW, is there a way to verify the expiration date for the e-channel sticker online?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Yeah, it's an and/or situation. As long as your citizenship qualifies, it's either 3 entries in the last year and/or FF membership at the minimum status level.

Caveats:

1. citizens of South Korea, Germany, and Singapore don't even need the minimum entries or FF membership;
2. they can of course deny you for other reasons (generally, inadmissibility to HK).

See http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/..._visitors.html

I couldn't find a way to get your expiry date on-line; however, along with the sticker you get copies of your enrolment documents, which should have the date of enrolment on them (I don't have my passport with me right now so I can't look on the sticker, but from viewing the video I don't think it's there in plain text-it's probably encoded in the bar code). I believe it is good for 5 years, yes.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by islandcub1
Yeah, it's an and/or situation. As long as your citizenship qualifies, it's either 3 entries in the last year and/or FF membership at the minimum status level.

Caveats:

1. citizens of South Korea, Germany, and Singapore don't even need the minimum entries or FF membership;
2. they can of course deny you for other reasons (generally, inadmissibility to HK).

See http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/..._visitors.html

I couldn't find a way to get your expiry date on-line; however, along with the sticker you get copies of your enrolment documents, which should have the date of enrolment on them (I don't have my passport with me right now so I can't look on the sticker, but from viewing the video I don't think it's there in plain text-it's probably encoded in the bar code). I believe it is good for 5 years, yes.
Wish I kept my enrollment form to track the expiration date. LOL! I just replaceD my old passport recently. Will they let me re-apply even if my old e-channel sticker on my old passport has not expired? If they do then I can restart my 5-year cycle again :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.