FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   HKIA Frequent Visitor Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/718768-hkia-frequent-visitor-card.html)

HGHUA Jul 26, 2007 1:18 pm

HKIA Frequent Visitor Card

I recently just received my Hong Kong International Airport Frequent Visitor Card.
Not sure what to expect when I first use it.
It is spost to be faster when going through immigrations.
Anyone else have one?
Is it worth it?

obscure2k Jul 26, 2007 4:05 pm

Moving thread to FT Hong Kong Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

christep Jul 26, 2007 7:13 pm

I'm confused? Is it worth what? It's free and it lets you bypass the visitor queue! What could be more simple?

When you arrive you look for the designated immigration counter which has a sign for HKIA Frequent Visitor Card above it. There willl normally be a person who will check your card and then you proceed to the counter (or occasionally a queue of 1 or 2 people). This must be better than waiting in line for 10-15 minutes with other visitors. The procedure is the same outbound.

But surely your card came with instructions?

HKtraveller Jul 27, 2007 12:00 am

Originally Posted by sneezyalex (Post 8124687)
I recently just received my Hong Kong International Airport Frequent Visitor Card.
Not sure what to expect when I first use it.
It is spost to be faster when going through immigrations.
Anyone else have one?
Is it worth it?

Well, Christep said it all. I am just curious: How long did it take you to get it after you applied?

HKtraveller Jul 27, 2007 12:03 am

Originally Posted by christep (Post 8126643)
...It's free and it lets you bypass the visitor queue!...

Is there a similar thing available for the overland borders ?

jwillett13 Jul 27, 2007 12:05 am

I applied approx 6-8 weeks ago via the internet and I haven't heard a peep

christep Jul 27, 2007 3:03 am

When my g/f applied it came in about 6 weeks I think. But that was a while ago when they were less popular / well-known.

HGHUA Jul 27, 2007 7:47 am

Originally Posted by jwillett13 (Post 8127684)
I applied approx 6-8 weeks ago via the internet and I haven't heard a peep

hmm...
well when I went to sign up I went straight to the airport to submit the proof.
It turns it's a one man operation. One guy processes all the forms so it can be slow.
Took about 6 weeks to get the card.

Irish lad Jul 31, 2007 2:19 am

Yeah, took mine about 6 weeks or so as well. I find it fantastic (used it for the first time recently). The queues at HKIA can be a pain when you arrive from a longhaul flight (especially if you have, ahem, overindulged) and it is great to skip past them. Even so, my bags have still beat me...

MW147 Jul 31, 2007 11:19 am

How frequently do you have to travel to HK to apply? I generally travel there 2-3 times per year. Is this enough?

Where do you find the application?

Thanks for the help.

jerry a. laska Jul 31, 2007 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by MW147 (Post 8150251)
How frequently do you have to travel to HK to apply? I generally travel there 2-3 times per year. Is this enough?

Where do you find the application?

Thanks for the help.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/t...minal1_fvc.htm

stimpy Aug 1, 2007 4:44 am

Is the airport office open on Saturday?

jolou Aug 1, 2007 8:22 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 8154557)
Is the airport office open on Saturday?

I applied for my card by faxing them the forms and received the card x weeks later (Have been using the card since just after they launched it, so I don't remember how long it took to get the card in the mail). Didn't need to go to any office.

By the way, since early 2007, you can use the card for outbound travel from HK as well. Before it was strictly for arrivals only.

jwillett13 Aug 4, 2007 10:43 pm

Eight weeks was the magic number....just came home it was waiting in the mail box

jbfield Aug 5, 2007 4:32 am

Can anyone confirm how long the card is valid for?
Is it indefinate?

I couldn't see it mentioned in the T&C.