Hong Kong Won’t Open to World Until Mid-2022, Lam Aide Says

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Won’t Open to World Until Mid-2022, Lam Aide Says

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2022, 1:00 am

In today's (Thursday) Standard:

"Outgoing Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam ruled out the possibility of opening the border with mainland China in the foreseeable future."

EDIT:

In today's (Friday) Standard:

"Outgoing Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam said the city can’t function as a global financial hub if quarantine controls remain, adding pressure on the next administration to relax border curbs."

Last edited by 889; Jun 10, 2022 at 12:48 am
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:23 pm

Qatar going from five flights/wk to an every-day flight next month. Still half the pre-pandemic two flights/day.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:53 pm

Today Tuesday Carrie Lam says:

“Even though there are many voices and substantive demands, including those from business groups, especially the international ones and financial institutions, asking the SAR government to relax our measures guarding against imported cases, so that people coming from overseas would not need to be quarantined in hotels or undergo more tests, we refused to give in a single inch.”
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by 889

“Even though there are many voices and substantive demands, including those from business groups, especially the international ones and financial institutions, asking the SAR government to relax our measures guarding against imported cases, so that people coming from overseas would not need to be quarantined in hotels or undergo more tests, we refused to give in a single inch.”
To paraphase:
People from overseas: "We want to give you our money"
HK Gov: "No"
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by 889

Not to get into Kremlinology (although nowadays in HK it's quite relevant), she said "refused", not "refuse." Her English is very good, and I don't think she's confusing tenses. I think she's paving the way for something better, or maybe I'm just hallucinating.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Sad news about the floating Jumbo restaurant: https://www.shine.cn/news/world/2206146799/
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Pickles
Not to get into Kremlinology (although nowadays in HK it's quite relevant), she said "refused", not "refuse." Her English is very good, and I don't think she's confusing tenses. I think she's paving the way for something better, or maybe I'm just hallucinating.
good catch. Of course, Chinese language doesn’t have past / future / present tense, if I recall my mandarin classes (I assume Cantonese is the same despite 10 tones).
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:21 pm

She also alluded to yesterday that they're not tightening restrictions so people can celebrate the handover on July 1st. I wonder if that means things will go down the drain again after the political spectacle ends.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:55 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by gaobest
good catch. Of course, Chinese language doesn’t have past / future / present tense, if I recall my mandarin classes (I assume Cantonese is the same despite 10 tones).
??? Chinese languages have tenses, words just don't inflect.

Non-native English speakers from HK often add superfluous past tense inflectors to their verbs. Some of my friends who have been entirely educated in English (in proper international schools and/or outside HK) for 15+ years still do it. I don't think you can read any future intentions into that sentence.
uanj, tauphi and gudugan like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hkskyline
She also alluded to yesterday that they're not tightening restrictions so people can celebrate the handover on July 1st. I wonder if that means things will go down the drain again after the political spectacle ends.
I’m sure there are tons of people itching to celebrate that one!
HkCaGu and gudugan like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
So is this thread dead when 777 retires to her new rental? Need a new thread when Likachu says something about re-opening?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:25 pm

From Friday's SCMP:

"On Thursday, incoming health minister Dr Lo Chung-mau told a radio programme he would pursue the possibility of reducing the hotel quarantine period to no less than five days. He added that any reduction would be coupled with other health requirements, such as self-isolation at home or point-to-point travel for visitors."
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:26 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by 889
From Friday's SCMP:

"On Thursday, incoming health minister Dr Lo Chung-mau told a radio programme he would pursue the possibility of reducing the hotel quarantine period to no less than five days. He added that any reduction would be coupled with other health requirements, such as self-isolation at home or point-to-point travel for visitors."
Wow a point to point travel requirement. With CX barely flying, who else actually flies to HK?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by angetenar
Wow a point to point travel requirement. With CX barely flying, who else actually flies to HK?
I think they were referring to travellers having point-to-point travel planned when they are released into the community prior to the end of mandatory quarantine. For example, it could be the CEO of HSBC travelling only between his Q hotel and his office for the 7-day period. No eating in at restaurants.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 10:00 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
It doesn't help tourists but I'd accept home quarantine.

What's the current situation if you test positive but have no/minimal symptoms?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.