Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Won’t Open to World Until Mid-2022, Lam Aide Says

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:14 am

Ban ban ban ...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ns-in-3-months

Hong Kong’s reopening to the rest of the world is being slowed by the government’s bans on airlines for carrying infected passengers, with 11 routes in total suspended as of Monday, the most since a peak in January.

No passenger flights from outside Asia arrived in Hong Kong yesterday, and only one is due Tuesday, operated by Emirates after the Dubai-based airline completes a seventh ban. That will lower the number of simultaneously suspended routes to 10.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Singapore Airlines' SIN-HKG flights got suspended again after just three days back in service from earlier suspension earlier in April.

This is so frustrating....but I respect HK government's policy. Frustrating for me because I need to travel in and out of HK for work, and this creates uncertainty for me to return to HK and may get stuck oveseas.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Singapore Airlines' SIN-HKG flights got suspended again after just three days back in service from earlier suspension earlier in April.

This is so frustrating....but I respect HK government's policy. Frustrating for me because I need to travel in and out of HK for work, and this creates uncertainty for me to return to HK and may get stuck oveseas.
This is crazy stuff. How much longer will HKers have to suffer?
JNelson113 and gudugan like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:59 am

Better prep your bosses that you may need to work from hotel or from an overseas office in the very likely event you are trapped. Hope it doesn't trigger tax issues for yourself or your employer.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 2:34 am

New rules:

-- A new mandatory PCR test on Day 9 after quarantine release, in addition to tests on Days 5 and 12. (Effective for those arriving May 24 and later.)

-- From June 1, no longer any need for that second piece of paper certifying the status of the lab that did your overseas PCR test.

-- From June 1, transit passengers don't need a PCR test.

-- From June 1 a procedure by which recovered persons may be able enter without a neg PCR test but with other documentation.

-- From June 1, some fiddling with the flight suspension mechanism.

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/202205/29/P2022052900331.htm?fontSize=1

Last edited by 889; May 29, 2022 at 2:40 am
Old May 29, 2022, 7:39 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 889
New rules:

-- A new mandatory PCR test on Day 9 after quarantine release, in addition to tests on Days 5 and 12. (Effective for those arriving May 24 and later.)

-- From June 1, no longer any need for that second piece of paper certifying the status of the lab that did your overseas PCR test.

-- From June 1 a procedure by which recovered persons may be able enter without a neg PCR test but with other documentation.

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...htm?fontSize=1
"persons boarding for Hong Kong from overseas places and Taiwan" -- it burns.

As for their obsession with PCR tests, does the government for them, or are they included in the quarantine hotel rate?
Old May 29, 2022, 8:49 am

The Government certainly pays for the airport and Day 9 and 12 PCR tests at a community centre. Perhaps the Q hotel pays the contractor for the Day 5 test, I don't know. In any event, the incoming passenger pays nothing for the tests as such.
BuildingMyBento likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Two steps forward, one step back. It could be worse (but it could be better).
Old May 29, 2022, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I would prefer HK accepts overseas administered Antigent tests instead of PCR tests for overseas arriving passengers.
Countries such as Australia and Singapore don't even require tests for arriving passengers who are fully vaccinated.
Old May 29, 2022, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I would prefer HK accepts overseas administered Antigent tests instead of PCR tests for overseas arriving passengers.
Countries such as Australia and Singapore don't even require tests for arriving passengers who are fully vaccinated.
What you (or I) would prefer has no bearing on what the actual procedures are. Three years into the pandemic, it's pretty clear that at the bottom of the HKSARG constituents that must to be listened to are people needing to travel in and out of Hong Kong. From Asia's World City to Asia's Walled City.
Old May 29, 2022, 9:54 pm

Both countries accept the Chinese vaccines, right?
Old May 29, 2022, 10:00 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Walled City, You Say?

Originally Posted by Pickles
What you (or I) would prefer has no bearing on what the actual procedures are. Three years into the pandemic, it's pretty clear that at the bottom of the HKSARG constituents that must to be listened to are people needing to travel in and out of Hong Kong. From Asia's World City to Asia's Walled City.

And this was from November 2019, when there were protesters but no shifty pandemic (in the SAR).
Old May 30, 2022, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
New rules:

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...htm?fontSize=1
Left the mainland at the end of April and I've visited the USA, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Korea, Philippines and will soon visit the EU. Each of these places has been easy to enter with a few vaccine checks and in the case of Korea and the Philippines a covid test before arrival but none of this crap mentioned above. I know it is not their fault, but HK is falling further and further behind their competition in Asia because of these stupid policies. Of course it's not as ridiculous as their masters to the north and it seems they are trying to liberalize a bit, but in comparison to other places in Asia, HK isn't attractive now as either a holiday or business destination. A real shame.
moondog, fakecd, Topcare and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Left the mainland at the end of April and I've visited the USA, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Korea, Philippines and will soon visit the EU. Each of these places has been easy to enter with a few vaccine checks and in the case of Korea and the Philippines a covid test before arrival but none of this crap mentioned above. I know it is not their fault, but HK is falling further and further behind their competition in Asia because of these stupid policies. Of course it's not as ridiculous as their masters to the north and it seems they are trying to liberalize a bit, but in comparison to other places in Asia, HK isn't attractive now as either a holiday or business destination. A real shame.
Didn't you need at least an antigen test to fly to the USA?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Didn't you need at least an antigen test to fly to the USA?
No, they waved it for people leaving Shanghai during lockdown. Nonetheless, you’re right. That is a requirement I’ll have to fulfill when I travel from the EU to US next month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.