Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Restaurant Recommendations

Restaurant Recommendations

Old Jun 8, 16, 2:38 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: TPA
Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Posts: 1,185
Restaurant Recommendations

I'll be in Hong Kong for two nights in late July. I'm a bit of a foodie and usually like to splurge a little on a few nights for dinner. Since this is a 2.5 week trip I've had to cut some of that out.

Anyways, I have two options. I can budget $20-$30 for dinner each night or maybe get some street food/cheap eats one night and splurge the next. Any specific places you all recommend? My hotel's in Mongkok but obviously I have no issue going out of my way (within reason of course). I'd like to keep it fairly authentic so no Italian or French restaurants if at all possible.
ChiefNWA is offline  
Old Jun 8, 16, 4:53 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boulder
Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Posts: 2,319
I'm a fan of Joy Hing (roasted duck/goose on rice) and Wing Wah (wontons), both in Wanchai. Also Yat Lok (more roasted meat) over in Central. Both are pretty inexpensive local places. Bring tissues.
txflyer77 is offline  
Old Jun 8, 16, 6:16 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 10,400
If you are a foodie, then I have a better suggestion.

Go to Dundas Street @ Nathan Road (still in Mongkok). When you walk towards Kwong Wah Hospital, you will see a lot of street food/cheap eats that you can try.

Even those you may not like it, but as a foodie, you should enjoy the view.
garykung is online now  
Old Jun 10, 16, 5:33 am
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 11,015
If I understand you correctly, you have (US)$60 for two dinners, and you want to suggest that splitting $55 / $5 would enable you to "splurge" on the $55 night?

I feel you may have a surprise coming - "splurge" dinners cost US$150-$200 (and up) here much as they do in any other major city!
christep is offline  
Old Jun 10, 16, 11:40 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 366
Yeah, splurging in Hong Kong certainly isn't cheap. $30 per night isn't going to do it
It's around 250 HKD - which is the right amount for a mid-range restaurant with soft drinks.

One place I like a lot is Lao Shang Hai in Wan Chai. Usually costs us about 300HKD each. I'm always a big Ding Tai Fung fan. But they have those in the US.

I don't know if anyone likes the street food (?), but personally I haven't found any that appeals to me.
HK certainly isn't a food lovers paradise like Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, Malaysia or Singapore (or even the Mainland!) IMO. Though I'm sure others will disagree.
That's not to say there isn't absolutely amazing food here! What I mean is what the locals usually eat.

A better choice than street food may be a cha chann teng. They have food that the vast majority of locals eat. You're looking at 30-60 dollars depending on what you have. Some have fairly decent food, but I don't know any well enough to give recommendations.

Have a look on a website called OpenRice. It's a big HK restaurant review site. You can search by type of food and area. But I think the price ranges they have tend to be too low. Plus, there's always the old trick of looking for somewhere that's really busy.
TravelDream is offline  
Old Jun 10, 16, 1:59 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: TPA
Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Posts: 1,185
Originally Posted by TravelDream View Post
Yeah, splurging in Hong Kong certainly isn't cheap. $30 per night isn't going to do it
It's around 250 HKD - which is the right amount for a mid-range restaurant with soft drinks.

One place I like a lot is Lao Shang Hai in Wan Chai. Usually costs us about 300HKD each. I'm always a big Ding Tai Fung fan. But they have those in the US.

I don't know if anyone likes the street food (?), but personally I haven't found any that appeals to me.
HK certainly isn't a food lovers paradise like Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, Malaysia or Singapore (or even the Mainland!) IMO. Though I'm sure others will disagree.
That's not to say there isn't absolutely amazing food here! What I mean is what the locals usually eat.

A better choice than street food may be a cha chann teng. They have food that the vast majority of locals eat. You're looking at 30-60 dollars depending on what you have. Some have fairly decent food, but I don't know any well enough to give recommendations.

Have a look on a website called OpenRice. It's a big HK restaurant review site. You can search by type of food and area. But I think the price ranges they have tend to be too low. Plus, there's always the old trick of looking for somewhere that's really busy.
Thanks! I've been to the Din Tai Fung in Taipei and more recently, Los Angeles. I keep seeing Openrice coming up so I guess I'll give that a shot, or like you said, just wing it and look for what's busy!

Any experience with The Chairman or Ming Court? Probably a little above my desired price range but reviews are generally positive.

Originally Posted by christep View Post
If I understand you correctly, you have (US)$60 for two dinners, and you want to suggest that splitting $55 / $5 would enable you to "splurge" on the $55 night?

I feel you may have a surprise coming - "splurge" dinners cost US$150-$200 (and up) here much as they do in any other major city!
I really meant splurge more along the lines of allocating a two night budget into one, but yes, I'm aware that truly splurging would cost significantly more. However, to be fair, I've had several Michelin star meals around the world for under $100USD. Not drinking alcohol is also a significant savings in my case as well. I'm not looking for the best, I'm just looking for the best for that price. "Splurge" is subjective as well, some people would never spend $200 for a meal while others would be more than happy to.
ChiefNWA is offline  
Old Jun 11, 16, 11:04 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 19
Near most MTR stations, there will be any number of noodle houses that will get you a satisfying and tasty dinner of noodles or rice plus roasted meats or fish/meat balls for 35-45 HKD, a bit less if you go farther afield (e.g. Sham Shui Po and Tsuen Wan). I was in Wan Chai and places like that abounded for 35 HKD. That can be your "cheap" night.

For splurging, maybe try an interesting place instead of glamourous high-end?

One memorable place that didn't turn out super expensive because we were light eaters was Jumbo Floating restaurant. Literally on its own mini island such that everyone, including employees, needs to sail in on a small ferry (a very short ride). Very colourful picture-taking at night. 4 of us cost less than 700 HKD.

If you want cheap Michelin star, then, again, in Wan Chai, there's Congee King at 7 Heard St. A bowl of congee set me back like 45 HKD and it was superior to others I've had. But because it has its Michelin star, the waiters are in uniform and they feel they can tack on the 15% gratuity that higher-end places in HK charge but which I've never seen at any regular noodle/congee house.
PotentialFlightRisk is offline  
Old Jun 12, 16, 3:58 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 257
Agreed on Openrice. I think in terms of good budget places, it's probably easier to just find something on Openrice depending on where you are staying/where you will be that day. Generally, there's at least a few decent places in each neighborhood. And I don't think its worth travelling a long ways for a bowl of noodles.

Din Tai Fung, in my opinion, is not as good here as it is in Taiwan.

I don't have any particular suggests for high end places, but if you find yourself in the areas more well-known for food, exploring (and searching on Openrice) and trying a few places might be an alternative to splurging on just one meal. You'll get to see more of the neighborhood and what locals here eat.

On the Island, Tai Hang, Wanchai (on the streets between Johnston Road and Queens Road E), Shau Kei Wan (for cheap local food), North Point/Fortress Hill (Shanghainese/other Guangdong foods), Tin Hau (on Electric Road, desserts). In Kowloon, Kowloon City (for Southeast Asian foods), Jordan (local food), MK (street food, I guess, thought I don't like it), Hung Hom (lots of small cheap eats).
jamescho is offline  
Old Jun 12, 16, 8:22 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 17,261
Your money for a "splurge" will stretch better if you use it for lunch. So have two cheap dinners and a more expensive lunch.
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Jun 13, 16, 1:00 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 11,015
Yes, that is certainly true - being retired I do many of my major meals as long lunches rather than dinner; set lunches are often excellent value compared to dinner time prices.
christep is offline  
Old Jun 13, 16, 2:56 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA, Hilton
Programs: United, Hilton
Posts: 3,750
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Your money for a "splurge" will stretch better if you use it for lunch. So have two cheap dinners and a more expensive lunch.
+1.

If you go to a top-notch Cantonese place like Spring Moon or Ming Court for dinner, a single plate may cost you $25-50USD depending on what you get. At those same places, you can have a nice lunch for $30-40 per person trying a variety of things in the form of dim sum.

Buffets at 5-star hotels would definitely be a great splurge. Lunch buffet could be had for ~$50 per person. Dinner is usually pricier by 50% or more. Grand Stanford's Cafe on M is a very solid place and they're often offering discount promotions for lunch.
evergrn is offline  
Old Jun 13, 16, 3:55 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SYD, Australia
Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Posts: 671
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA View Post

Any experience with The Chairman or Ming Court? Probably a little above my desired price range but reviews are generally positive.
Ming Court is a real favourite of mine. It is not cheap but I think it takes Cantonese cuisine to a level of refinement rarely found in many cities around the world and dare I say it, in Hong Kong itself.

Probably not the best for a solo diner though as you won't get to try out as much as you otherwise would.
JClasstraveller is offline  
Old Jun 18, 16, 4:50 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 388
For $30-60 USD, maybe you can head to Kowloon City city for a Thai dinner. I don't have any specific recommendations, maybe someone on here or Openrice can charm in.
JordanWalker is offline  
Old Jun 22, 16, 4:51 pm
  #14  
Moderator, Trip Reports
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 6km East of EPAYE
Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,379
I'd park my self at a Tasty Congee Noodle and leave with money to spare. I know there are some more popular noodle shops, but sometimes simple is best and more of a foodie experience than a splurge.
Madone59 is offline  
Old Jun 23, 16, 8:26 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Left
Programs: FT
Posts: 7,285
Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
I'd park my self at a Tasty Congee Noodle and leave with money to spare. I know there are some more popular noodle shops, but sometimes simple is best and more of a foodie experience than a splurge.
if that is the case, go to Ho Hung Kee...used to be on sharp street in a "more" authentic environment/building but it's relocated location is great for the won ton min...albiet a little more swanky interior....and yes, now it's all the rage but my FIL loved it back in 2008 when we first went to this place before all the press.
mkjr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread