FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Restaurant Recommendations
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:59 pm
ChiefNWA

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TravelDream
Yeah, splurging in Hong Kong certainly isn't cheap. $30 per night isn't going to do it
It's around 250 HKD - which is the right amount for a mid-range restaurant with soft drinks.

One place I like a lot is Lao Shang Hai in Wan Chai. Usually costs us about 300HKD each. I'm always a big Ding Tai Fung fan. But they have those in the US.

I don't know if anyone likes the street food (?), but personally I haven't found any that appeals to me.
HK certainly isn't a food lovers paradise like Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, Malaysia or Singapore (or even the Mainland!) IMO. Though I'm sure others will disagree.
That's not to say there isn't absolutely amazing food here! What I mean is what the locals usually eat.

A better choice than street food may be a cha chann teng. They have food that the vast majority of locals eat. You're looking at 30-60 dollars depending on what you have. Some have fairly decent food, but I don't know any well enough to give recommendations.

Have a look on a website called OpenRice. It's a big HK restaurant review site. You can search by type of food and area. But I think the price ranges they have tend to be too low. Plus, there's always the old trick of looking for somewhere that's really busy.
Thanks! I've been to the Din Tai Fung in Taipei and more recently, Los Angeles. I keep seeing Openrice coming up so I guess I'll give that a shot, or like you said, just wing it and look for what's busy!

Any experience with The Chairman or Ming Court? Probably a little above my desired price range but reviews are generally positive.

Originally Posted by christep
If I understand you correctly, you have (US)$60 for two dinners, and you want to suggest that splitting $55 / $5 would enable you to "splurge" on the $55 night?

I feel you may have a surprise coming - "splurge" dinners cost US$150-$200 (and up) here much as they do in any other major city!
I really meant splurge more along the lines of allocating a two night budget into one, but yes, I'm aware that truly splurging would cost significantly more. However, to be fair, I've had several Michelin star meals around the world for under $100USD. Not drinking alcohol is also a significant savings in my case as well. I'm not looking for the best, I'm just looking for the best for that price. "Splurge" is subjective as well, some people would never spend $200 for a meal while others would be more than happy to.