Wiki Posts
Search

Some HK question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by agp423
Can I take the airport express from HKG to HK station at around 9-10pm, and then taxi to the IC? Will that save me a bit of money and time?

Also, is bus 15 available at the Peak for returning to central pier?
For your IC take AEx to Kowloon station and taxi or shuttle bus from there.

You can get onto bus 15 at the peak for the "downward" journey which IMHO better than the ride up.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:12 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Thanks, is it safe to assume cabs will be easy to find at the Kowloon station?

I am also contemplating about scrapping Victoria Peak and replacing it with Sky 100 at the ICC... I think the view is much better from there, and it's much less time-consuming. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by TOMFORD; Dec 9, 2014 at 4:22 pm
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:42 pm

The view from the Peak is unbeatable and really worth the extra time. ICC has a decent view as well but, IMO, isn't as breathtaking. Could be seeing it open-air, or the angle of view.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:45 pm

Oh and definitely keep an eye on weather. If it's rainy/heavily fogged (as it has been lately), then you won't be able to see much from the Peak.

Last edited by PitaPan; Dec 9, 2014 at 6:04 pm
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
The Peak is also about history and history. Not just the view. And the Peak Tram is an unique funicular system if you're into the technical side of thing. Varying slope and a it doesn't travel in a straight line or constant curve; instead there's a significant turn 2/3 the way. [Granted, 99% of those who ride it couldn't care less.]
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:59 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Duly noted. I will keep the Peak in the itinerary. If I have time, I'll swing by the Sky 100 in addition to take a look from there.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
They are different. If you have the time and weather cooperates do both.

The Peak Tram, considering the time the first track was laid, is an engineering masterpiece.
Bus 15 down is "fun" or as my son calls it "cheap thrills".

Both HK and Kowloon AEx stations have a very organized well signed taxi stand with staff organizing the passengers and inflow of taxis. There might be timing issue depending on time of day which would not apply to your arrival time.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:35 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

edit: never mind

Last edited by TOMFORD; Dec 10, 2014 at 6:45 am
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:30 am
tsz

Duly noted. I will keep the Peak in the itinerary. If I have time, I'll swing by the Sky 100 in addition to take a look from there.
Another option I would recommend is just heading up to the Ozone Bar at the Ritz-Carlton just a few floors above Sky100. The entrance fee to Sky100 is ~HKD170 but for that you can easily get a drink and a view (there's an outdoor terrace) at the Ozone Bar.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:29 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Is the airport express card the same card as an Octopus card? Or are they two separate things?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Is the airport express card the same card as an Octopus card? Or are they two separate things?
Octopus is a stored value card that can be used on all public transportation, (sans taxi), convenient store, vending machines, etc. It is NOT a pass. You put money in it and use it, and get your money back when you're done. $150 minimum to start a card. You get $100 to spend. When you're done, you get the unspent amount and $41 in deposit (unless you return it after 3 months then you get $50). So, your cost is $9.

Airport Express Travel Pass is a special type of Octopus that combines one or two Airport Express rides with a 3-day MTR (subway trains only, not other buses or ferries) pass. And you also get a $50 deposit refund when you return the card. It is also an Octopus which you can add value into it, which again, you can get back along with the $50 deposit.

[You can also use a regular Octopus to ride the Airport Express, but with 2 or more people, it's generally not a good deal.]
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least
Off topic, but there's two Kwan Kee in Sai Ying Pun. Do you know if they are affiliated or competitors?

Originally Posted by PitaPan
If you want to try some excellent local style food, there's a great Claypot Rice place in Sheung Wan / Sai Ying Pun. It's called Kwan Kee (坤記煲仔小菜). Other places are available in Kowloon if you're looking for a similar style
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by tsz
Another option I would recommend is just heading up to the Ozone Bar at the Ritz-Carlton just a few floors above Sky100. The entrance fee to Sky100 is ~HKD170 but for that you can easily get a drink and a view (there's an outdoor terrace) at the Ozone Bar.
I second this, the Ozone has a much better value.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by vkykam
Off topic, but there's two Kwan Kee in Sai Ying Pun. Do you know if they are affiliated or competitors?
Not 100% sure, but I believe they are affiliated (expansion perhaps?).

The one I usually go to is the original shop at 263 Queen's Road West
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:30 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hi all, I will be visiting HK solo for almost a week before Christmas, and I have some questions I was hoping to get some help here.
Thank you all in advance for your help!
Lots of help offered by FTers here, did you write up a trip report or could you provide feedback here as to what you enjoyed & didn't?

Originally Posted by tentseller
The new king of Roast Goose on the Island is Kam Kee 226 Hennesey Rd open by the Yung Kee branch who managed the kitchen after the public breakup. Try the duck dripping lo mein.
Yat Lock is a BBQ restaurant so it is not a breakfast/brunch place.
thanks for this, I was going to try and go to Yung Kee this weekend.

Originally Posted by PitaPan
Highly recommend Tai O fishing village. It's also accessible by bus from Tung Chung station, so you could do that and Big Buddha in a day.
Is Tai O the same as Lei Yue Mun ?
-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.