Wiki Posts
Search

Some HK question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by wilp888
+1 Except for changing money, I can't see any other reason to go into Chungking Mansion.
Good authentic South Asian food?
When Jenny run out of cookies and you are leaving HK having promised to deliver a tin or two?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Skipping the big Buddha and cable car while going to Tai O is a big mistake.

Last ferry from Cheung Chau on Saturdays is at 11:45p.

Unlimited MTR day pass for $55 can be bought at MTR stations, with your passport. But with your itinerary, it's a waste of money. You should just get a regular Octopus.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
I was born in Hong Kong and still visit 3-4 times a year. I have been in restaurants in there and I stand by my statement. To each his own.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Personally, for a foreign visitor, I'd suggest Cheung Chau over Lamma. Lamma is little quiet place, but Cheung Chau is more "local", more vibrant, with actual fishing boats still in the harbour.
They're both nice in different ways imo. I hadn't been to either in a few years until returning to Lamma last week and absolutely loved it. Great walk across the island, nice beach, nice lush countryside, frozen pineapples to get you through the hot hilly walk then wrap up with fresh seafood before catching the ferry back. Whichever one you decide to go to, I'd try to go on a weekday.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:20 am

Totally agree. Lamma did have that more natural, free-spirited feel. Always enjoyed walking through Lamma.

Randomly drove up to Ngong Ping today with a few friends...I know some people might appreciate it, but to be honest, it's definitely not worth the time investment.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 2:05 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Skipping the big Buddha and cable car while going to Tai O is a big mistake.

Last ferry from Cheung Chau on Saturdays is at 11:45p.

Unlimited MTR day pass for $55 can be bought at MTR stations, with your passport. But with your itinerary, it's a waste of money. You should just get a regular Octopus.
Why is unlimited MTR a waste of money? Is there something like an unlimited pass for X days instead of 1 day? MTR cards work on busses too right?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by PitaPan
Totally agree. Lamma did have that more natural, free-spirited feel. Always enjoyed walking through Lamma.

Randomly drove up to Ngong Ping today with a few friends...I know some people might appreciate it, but to be honest, it's definitely not worth the time investment.
You need to add the words "for me". I do walk up there regularly and enjoy it every time again. Then a good meal at the vegetarian restaurant. Then head on to Lantau peak.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agp423
Why is unlimited MTR a waste of money? Is there something like an unlimited pass for X days instead of 1 day? MTR cards work on busses too right?
I think the tourist one day unlimited pass for $55 is for MTR only, not AEx nor trains to China border crossing.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I think the reason that was posted was simply that it would take many trips to reach that amount, and Octopus takes care of the convenience angle.

Originally Posted by tentseller
I think the tourist one day unlimited pass for $55 is for MTR only, not AEx nor trains to China border crossing.
If it's not usable on buses, then it would be even poorer value.

Of course my favorite form of transportation is Star Ferry, which takes tokens or Octopus card ^
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MTR passes are only good on MTR trains (excluding the Airport Express and border stations), light rail in northwest Territories and the connecting "K" buses run by MTR. Not good on regular buses, trams, peak trams, cable car, ferries, minibuses and anything else.

Multiday tourist cards that combine Airport Express rides can be of better value, but only if one's taking the Airport Express AND go to plenty of places by MTR, which the OP isn't.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have taken at least a dozen foreigners to Lantau, and I have yet to hear one that says climbing the stairs and seeing the Big Buddha or riding the cable car is a waste of time. [Spending time in "Ngong Ping Village" is, and there's hardly anything worth seeing in Po Lin Monastery these days.]
Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:47 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks all for the input, especially rkkwan. I think I will stick with the latest itinerary for now, and add things depending on how I feel when I'm there and what friends want to do.

Any other last minute tips?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:21 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tentseller
Good authentic South Asian food?
When Jenny run out of cookies and you are leaving HK having promised to deliver a tin or two?
Any recommendations for where exactly in Chungking I can find good SE Asian food?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any recommendations for where exactly in Chungking I can find good SE Asian food?
Just use the same rule for the rest of Hong Kong. Look for the lineup and join them. During the wait would be a good time to chat up with people of that ethnic group to get recommendations.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:14 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Can I take the airport express from HKG to HK station at around 9-10pm, and then taxi to the IC? Will that save me a bit of money and time?

Also, is bus 15 available at the Peak for returning to central pier?

Last edited by TOMFORD; Dec 9, 2014 at 11:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.