Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some HK question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by agp423
<snip>
4. The Tim Ho Wan at IFC mall opens at 9am - is it better to wait in line for it to open or go at odd hours?
<snip>
Just add some empirical data... we went about 45mins before opening on a Sunday and were second in line. The line obviously progressively grew. Anyone that got there about 10mins before opening had to wait for second seating. Food came out relatively quick and we were out there fairly quick.
Food was good but didn't blow us away.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:04 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Thanks for the input. I originally had that planned for a Sunday (along with The Peak) but I thought there would be a lot of people so moved that to Monday. Hopefully it won't be too bad on a Monday morning!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:32 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I have modified my itinerary to include Tai O and big buddha on my empty day. I still have a half day left to fill, and some questions scattered in the details below.

I also filled Yat Lok in as a place to eat for when I have time to go somewhere to eat. Are there usually lines at Yat Lok? Can I do takeout if I don't want to wait?

Day 1, Friday
Arrive at HKG at 8PM, cab to IC
Where to find dinner around 10pm?
Can I eat at CX first lounge if I just arrived in CX F?
Wander around Ave of Stars/photography time
Day 2, Saturday
Chungking mansion for breakfast
Wander around Nathan road aimlessly
Wander around Ave of Stars/photography time
Lunch at Yan Toh Heen (at IC)
Afternoon shopping at Harbor City (I have quite a bit to buy!)
Dinner somewhere at Harbor City
Wander around North Statue Square for Christmas display/photography time
Day 3, Sunday
Breakfast at Yat Lok?
MTR to Tung Chung, Bus 11 to Tai O
Wander around Tai O
Lunch at Tai O
Bus 11 to Ngong Ping / Big Buddha
Bus 11 to Tung Chung
MTR to recoop at IC
Dinner at Temple street night markets
Wander around Temple street night markets
Day 4, Monday
Ferry to Central
Brunch at Tim Ho Wan
Wander aimlessly at IFC mall/photography time
Bus/tram to Victoria Peak
Exploring Victoria Peak
Sky Terrace 428 at sunset +/- 20 mins
Dinner at Yat Lok or SML?
Recoup at IC
Symphony of Lights
Day 5, Tuesday
No idea what to do on this day, taking recommendations
Food recommendations welcome too
Flight departs HK at 6PM (CX J, int'l) when should I leave for the airport if I want to explore the lounges/shops?

Comments and critiques much appreciated!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by agp423
I will check out Big Buddha and fishing villages. Any specific village you'd recommend that I can make a full day trip out of?
I personally find the Big Buddha to be meh but YMMV.

As for more of a rural feel, Tai O is pretty great and the ride from Tung Chung will take you past a very different side of HK. You should also consider the outlying islands with Lamma being the most popular one and Cheung Chau being my favourite.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:06 pm

Totally agree with kevincrumbs, Ngong Ping and Big Buddha are pretty 'tourist trap'-ish, but Tai O is definitely worth it. If you take a walk across the long bridge to the left of Tai O, there's a little village with free-roaming, 'wild' water buffalo. You can go and touch them and they won't even acknowledge your presence.

If you want to try some excellent local style food, there's a great Claypot Rice place in Sheung Wan / Sai Ying Pun. It's called Kwan Kee (坤記煲仔小菜). Other places are available in Kowloon if you're looking for a similar style
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
How about Snake soup and liver sausage rice in clay pot. My last supper before heading 2ast for US thanksgiving and Christmas Sunday night.

The new king of Roast Goose on the Island is Kam Kee 226 Hennesey Rd open by the Yung Kee branch who managed the kitchen after the public breakup. Try the duck dripping lo mein.
Yat Lock is a BBQ restaurant so it is not a breakfast/brunch place.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
First, horrible idea to visit Lantau on a Sunday. Go there on a weekday; if not Sat. Definitely not Sunday. Anyways, from the IC, a better way to do Lantau is by taking Star Ferry across harbor, then the ferry to Mui Wo and then #1 bus to Tai O. More interesting than doing the MTR both ways.

Bus from Tai O to Ngong Ping (Big Buddha) is #21. Infrequent on weekdays, so a taxi may be fine. From Big Buddha down to Tung Chung, it's worth taking the cable car. Pricey, but at least the regular cabins are worth it. (Crystal cabins cost more, and have longer lines. I'd pass on it). [Anyways, bus from Ngong Ping to Tung Chung is #23].

Other things. You can only use the CX arrival lounge, not the regular F lounges in the departure area, when you arrive.

I have never heard of Yat Lok before, but apparently, it's a little hole in the wall place in Central. And local reviews are just so-so. There are tonnes of similar places in HK like this, and I am not sure why you're so interested in visiting. Anyhow, eateries in Central are extremely crowded for lunch, and you'll be sharing a tiny tables with other customers for sure. [If not, then there's something SERIOUSLY wrong about that place]. Then they close early for dinner (9p weekdays, 5:30p weekends).

For food near the IC on the night after arrival, maybe take a short cab ride over to Knutsford Terrace (about 15min walk) - tonnes of restaurants and bars that open late. Or if you have a harborview room, just order room service. You're paying good money/points for your room, why not just enjoy the view from the comfort of it?

Anyhow, you're actually planning very little for your trip. Most people do much more sightseeing with the time you have. You are not going to the New Territories, not going to south side of island, not going to many of the markets or Wong Tai Sin Temple or Chi Lin Nunnery in Kowloon, etc. But whatever floats your boat.

---

Want to add that the Ngong Ping Marketplace is a tourist trap (walk straight through to/from the cable car; no need to visit any store there or restaurant there), and really little to see in the main Po Lin Monastery. But the big buddha itself is worth seeing and visiting. And the cable car ride is magnificent, which is why I suggest taking it, for one-way.

Last edited by rkkwan; Nov 18, 2014 at 8:06 pm
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
go to the hk monetary authority museum for a good view of kowloon it is free
"The HKMA Information Centre will be closed to the public until further notice."

http://www.hkma.gov.hk/eng/about-the...n-centre.shtml
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:26 pm

rkkwan is right about Sundays in Tung Chung. Try to do Tai O early if you are doing it Sunday. I live in Tung Chung, and lately the lines for the buses haven't been as bad as in mid-Summer (insane hour long waits). Should be okay for December, but again, try to be at the bus early
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by PitaPan
rkkwan is right about Sundays in Tung Chung. Try to do Tai O early if you are doing it Sunday. I live in Tung Chung, and lately the lines for the buses haven't been as bad as in mid-Summer (insane hour long waits). Should be okay for December, but again, try to be at the bus early
Buses and ferries cost more on Sundays on Lantau; lines for buses, ferries and cable car are all much longer; and blue taxis hard to find. There's absolutely no reason to go on a Sunday for the OP since he can easily switch around his itinerary.

It's worse going to Lantau on a Sunday than going to the Peak.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:21 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Thank you all for your input. I will modify the itinerary accordingly and will post back with what will be hopefully the final version. Thank you!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:23 am

You could spend a day at Big Wave bay and do the Diamond back hiking trail or some small surfing. Really laid back vibe at the beach, nice people, cheap beer and food. Its a great place to recharge and relax for a day..
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat4Life, Hertz Pres Circle, reformed WN AP & CP
Originally Posted by HKtraveller
Hong Kong and only Hong Kong is the place if you are looking for the rural scene close to a city. But you better be fit for some hills. 70% of HK is country parks. 300+ km of hiking trails. Want to experience wild boars at 2 feet distance, I can show you.
Agreed 100%. Most people just think all of HK is super dense skyscrapers because all people usually see of HK on TV is shots of Central and the Harbour. But there are beautiful mountains, great places to hike, coastal areas and islands.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:42 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HKtraveller
Hong Kong and only Hong Kong is the place if you are looking for the rural scene close to a city. But you better be fit for some hills. 70% of HK is country parks. 300+ km of hiking trails. Want to experience wild boars at 2 feet distance, I can show you.

Ok if you want rural disneyland without walking, sorry that is not available.
What rural or cultural stuff would you recommend outside of the big city?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:07 am

For your time frame:

1. Tai O Fishing Village
2. Lamma Island
3. Lantau Peak / Sunset Peak (if you're down for hiking)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.