Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Also received the upgrade offer from $0 fee to the aka Surpass, 150K points for spending $3,000 in 3 months, accept offer by 3/31/2022. Interesting that I downgraded just a couple months ago. I have had this card open since 2005 when the Surpass was first launched and have been on the upgrade/downgrade merry go around at least 7 times.
levilevi and NowBoarding2020 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:56 am

[[[[[

Last edited by beltway; Yesterday at 5:21 pm Reason: ibjoel
Old Jan 29, 2022, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by beltway
IME you do not need the new Surpass-branded card, but it does take a day or so before charges on the old card are attributed (for bonus purposes) to the new one. My recollection is that an Amex CSR can give you an exact date.
oops I applied today and started to use it while shopping. Will amex app give a dollar countdown for this?
i failed to upgrade it when the offer was 160k - now it’s 150k. At least I now applied for it because I will enjoy getting those hh points to avoid future resort fees :-)
Old Feb 7, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Hilton Honors
Has anyone had some but not all of their points post properly? My most recent statement is correct. My tracker in the app is correct when looking at the "points needed to make diamond" section. But the number of points is off--it looks like my base points posted for my february statement but not my bonus category points--even though they show up in my "points activity." they just didn't get added to the total. I'm not sure how long to give it before I call the diamond desk to investigate.

(I had just below 309K points. I earned just over 34k points, of which about 28.5k were base points. I am now at 336.5K points. The points activity shows 4 sections: base points, gas bonus, restaurants bonus, grocery bonus. But none of the bonus points were added to the total. I'm about 6k off).
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I tried to apply for this online and got:

Based on your history with American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive this welcome offer.We have not yet performed a credit check. Would you still like to proceed?
It seems like a decent number of people are getting rejected for the same reason (see comments): https://onemileatatime.com/amex-denying-bonuses/

I currently have 4 amex cards (3 consumer, one business). Used to have Aspire and downgraded it to the free one. Tried calling CS and got the same message, CS said I can't do anything and nothing will change before the end of the month. I have no amex applications in the past 90 days and am probably like 2/24.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:35 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by gudugan
I tried to apply for this online and got:

It seems like a decent number of people are getting rejected for the same reason (see comments): https://onemileatatime.com/amex-denying-bonuses/

I currently have 4 amex cards (3 consumer, one business). Used to have Aspire and downgraded it to the free one. Tried calling CS and got the same message, CS said I can't do anything and nothing will change before the end of the month. I have no amex applications in the past 90 days and am probably like 2/24.
What are the Amex cards you have with them at the moment? Are they credit cards or charge cards? You may be running into the limit of max 4 or 5 credit cards they allow a customer to have. Or you have downgraded or closed a card within the 12 month period after you have opened a card or accepted a retention/upgrade offer. Or they have profiled you as a customer who is more interested in signup bonus only and do not deem you to be a profitable customer for them. This is more known to be the Amex popup jail, It's not specific to Amex Surpass credit card. This is not new. You will find more info in the Amex forum if you read through the older threads there.
NowBoarding2020 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I believe the max is 5 cards. I only mentioned it in this thread because it looks like people also have issues with the same card (in the link above) but maybe it's a biased sample.

I have 4 credit cards: Bonvoy Brilliant, Bonvoy (fka SPG Amex), Bonvoy Business, and Hilton (free). Only one I've downgraded was Hilton Aspire to Hilton but that was two years ago. Haven't closed a card, though am planning to close the Bonvoy (fka SPG Amex) soon as it's redundant with the Brilliant.

Ah well, onto the next one...
NowBoarding2020 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 6:49 pm

15k Free night cert questions:
Upgraded earlier this year to Surpass
Hit 15k, got credit.
1) I assume I can not get a second night cert within the same year
2) How is year defined? Calendar? Cardmember?
2a) If calendar year, in theory, if you got a new card in December, hit 15k right away, then Jan 1 spent another 15k, you could get 2 within a month?
Old Oct 18, 2022, 1:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by levilevi
1) I assume I can not get a second night cert within the same year
Correct.
Originally Posted by levilevi
2) How is year defined? Calendar? Cardmember?
Correct answer is below.
levilevi likes this.

Last edited by Andriyko; Oct 18, 2022 at 2:28 am
Old Oct 18, 2022, 1:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Correct.

It's a card membership year.
I think it's a calendar year. Our countdown is to 12/31/22, and that's not our renewal date. And it's true you can only get one free night per year.

Hilton Honors Free Night Reward

If, in any calendar year of Card Membership, your total eligible purchases on your Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card account reach $15,000, you will receive a Free Night Reward from Hilton Honors. The Free Night Reward will be issued in the form of a redeemable code and sent to you in an email from Hilton Honors to the email address listed on your Hilton Honors account. You will receive the Reward email within 8-12 weeks after you have met the purchase requirement. This benefit is only available to the Basic Card Member; however, eligible purchases made by Additional Card Members will contribute to the purchase requirement.
levilevi likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I think it's a calendar year.
Yes, you're right. My apologies.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
No problem. We also have an Aspire card and what's confusing about that one is one of the benefits is card year, and another is calendar year. It was just plain dumb luck we got it in December, so we just treat all the benefits on the same timetable.

But I sure wish you'd get a second FNC on the Surpass with 30K spend.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 12:02 pm

Anyone running both Surpass and Aspire? Thinking of using those two cards for about half the year to hit the spend, get a FNC, then switch to Chase setup or Venture X for other half of the year. I know not to spread amongst TOO many ecosystems, but the Hilton setup with those two and a potential P2 Aspire could be awesome for half the year and acquiring the FNC, then going after Hyatt points the rest of the year.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 6:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Surpass Sign-up Free night cert....can I let a relative use it?

I have a free night Hilton Surpass Cert I got when I signed up for the card a year ago. It expires next month.
We don't really travel anymore.
Can I make a reservation in the name of a relative who does need to stay at an airport Hilton to catch an early flight in a few weeks?

Thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:42 am

Programs: BA, AA, United
Originally Posted by david55
I have a free night Hilton Surpass Cert I got when I signed up for the card a year ago. It expires next month.
We don't really travel anymore.
Can I make a reservation in the name of a relative who does need to stay at an airport Hilton to catch an early flight in a few weeks?

Thanks.
Yes you can. Just call hilton honors desk and make the reservation. Ask them to add your relative to the reservation. The reservation will be in your name but your relative will be the second guest on the reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.