Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Normally, you have to spend 15K annually (each calendar year) in order to receive a free night certificate with the Surpass Card. Does anyone think Amex or Hilton will reduce this amount for 2020? I have not been able to spend as much due to the virus. I could achieve 10K, for example.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:56 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
There would be zero incentive to lower the $15,000 requirement. A total loser for Hilton.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hedoman
There would be zero incentive to lower the $15,000 requirement. A total loser for Hilton.
If tons of people decide to cancel their Surpass card because the annual fee (this year) is greater than the benefits, I think Amex will be worried.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Surpass card probably equals a fart to AMEX. I'll cancel Aspire next month before second year begins and keep Surpass. That is the card worth keeping, for me.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: Any and All
12X Surpass Hilton Points Delayed?

Has anyone seen their points from Surpass 12X grocery spend to their Hilton HHonors account? I haven't seen any points post since March.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by MilesDavis11
Has anyone seen their points from Surpass 12X grocery spend to their Hilton HHonors account? I haven't seen any points post since March.
Got some today. Bill came out overnight and the points already posted to my HH account.
edit: Just looked up the activity on the account. Shows the points posted today and says "Surpass 12x Grocery Bonus Points."
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:57 am

My May grocery points posted in three days, but my June points still have not posted. It’s been seven days since the statement closing date.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 11:29 am

My May points posted within two days. My June points have yet to post. Also, my pending charges made on first day of current cycle, are still showing pending. Usually this takes only 2-3 business days. My relative is having the same issue with points not posted yet. Both of us did in excess of one mil points this last cycle.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 12th Man
Both of us did in excess of one mil points this last cycle.
Wow, that's some serious point earning. Now we really know what AMEX got for its money...

David
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:51 pm

My May points posted within two days. My June points have yet to post. Also, my pending charges made on first day of current cycle, are still showing pending. Usually this takes only 2-3 business days. My relative is having the same issue with points not posted yet. Both of us did in excess of one mil points this last cycle.
Lots of DPs of delayed points posting from Amex on Hilton. A couple of bloggers have addressed this:

Amex Shutdowns Looming? - Million Mile Guy

https://milestomemories.com/is-amex-...comment-792395

Also appears to be impacting Delta and possibly Bonvoy.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Lots of DPs of delayed points posting from Amex on Hilton. A couple of bloggers have addressed this:

Amex Shutdowns Looming? - Million Mile Guy

https://milestomemories.com/is-amex-...comment-792395

Also appears to be impacting Delta and possibly Bonvoy.
Well, that backs up what 12th Man reported above.

David
Old Jun 19, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Both of us did in excess of one mil points this last cycle.
Wow! So you and your relative both spent somewhere around $100,000 in one month on 12x categories? I can't even imagine how you might have done that. I assume some kind of MS? Any hints?

Edited to add: I see from one of the blog posts linked immediately above that the likely MS was via "buying Visa or Mastercard gift cards at supermarkets." That's still some serious MS. Is there some limit per card or per checkout? So this might be, say 200 gift cards at $500 each, purchased one at a time?

Last edited by anabolism; Jun 19, 2020 at 10:23 am
Old Jun 29, 2020, 2:12 pm

I just wanted to check to see if anyone has any updates on our precarious situation. I did not receive any points on my May statement, and my June statement closed last Wednesday, and no points were transferred to Hilton, either. The account is open and I am still able to make charges, albeit I have backed off the grocery spend.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
So, I got an offer in the mail for 175,000 bonus points for this card. I just got an Amex Plat, does that matter? Also, there is an offer code on the letter but not date that I need to apply by. Any thoughts on how long that is good for?
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by anabolism
Wow! So you and your relative both spent somewhere around $100,000 in one month on 12x categories? I can't even imagine how you might have done that. I assume some kind of MS? Any hints?

Edited to add: I see from one of the blog posts linked immediately above that the likely MS was via "buying Visa or Mastercard gift cards at supermarkets." That's still some serious MS. Is there some limit per card or per checkout? So this might be, say 200 gift cards at $500 each, purchased one at a time?
Most grocery stores are limiting to 1 or 2 $500 VGC per transaction. Used to be you could by 4 of them without issue @ $afeway, but that had been trimmed in the last 24 months. They have varying policies store to store on VGC purchases with a credit card.

So optimistically, 100 or so visits to a grocery store to buy VGC for MS. Do-able in a month if you had a 2nd card holder and enough stores in your area to create a rotational buying pattern, as to not "fish in one pond" so to say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.