FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/931581-hilton-honors-surpass-card-american-express-formerly-called-ascend.html)

ChinaShrek Apr 12, 2020 4:33 pm

Normally, you have to spend 15K annually (each calendar year) in order to receive a free night certificate with the Surpass Card. Does anyone think Amex or Hilton will reduce this amount for 2020? I have not been able to spend as much due to the virus. I could achieve 10K, for example.

hedoman Apr 12, 2020 11:56 pm

There would be zero incentive to lower the $15,000 requirement. A total loser for Hilton.

ChinaShrek Apr 13, 2020 10:14 am

Originally Posted by hedoman (Post 32288386)
There would be zero incentive to lower the $15,000 requirement. A total loser for Hilton.

If tons of people decide to cancel their Surpass card because the annual fee (this year) is greater than the benefits, I think Amex will be worried.

hedoman Apr 14, 2020 12:56 pm

Surpass card probably equals a fart to AMEX. I'll cancel Aspire next month before second year begins and keep Surpass. That is the card worth keeping, for me.

MilesDavis11 Jun 17, 2020 8:46 am

12X Surpass Hilton Points Delayed?

Has anyone seen their points from Surpass 12X grocery spend to their Hilton HHonors account? I haven't seen any points post since March.

fredc84 Jun 17, 2020 9:17 am

Originally Posted by MilesDavis11 (Post 32463644)
Has anyone seen their points from Surpass 12X grocery spend to their Hilton HHonors account? I haven't seen any points post since March.

Got some today. Bill came out overnight and the points already posted to my HH account.
edit: Just looked up the activity on the account. Shows the points posted today and says "Surpass 12x Grocery Bonus Points."

TTT103 Jun 17, 2020 10:57 am

My May grocery points posted in three days, but my June points still have not posted. It’s been seven days since the statement closing date.

12th Man Jun 17, 2020 11:29 am

My May points posted within two days. My June points have yet to post. Also, my pending charges made on first day of current cycle, are still showing pending. Usually this takes only 2-3 business days. My relative is having the same issue with points not posted yet. Both of us did in excess of one mil points this last cycle.

DELee Jun 17, 2020 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by 12th Man (Post 32464113)
Both of us did in excess of one mil points this last cycle.

Wow, that's some serious point earning. Now we really know what AMEX got for its money...

David

36902BRF Jun 18, 2020 3:51 pm

My May points posted within two days. My June points have yet to post. Also, my pending charges made on first day of current cycle, are still showing pending. Usually this takes only 2-3 business days. My relative is having the same issue with points not posted yet. Both of us did in excess of one mil points this last cycle.

Lots of DPs of delayed points posting from Amex on Hilton. A couple of bloggers have addressed this:

Amex Shutdowns Looming? - Million Mile Guy

https://milestomemories.com/is-amex-...comment-792395

Also appears to be impacting Delta and possibly Bonvoy.

DELee Jun 18, 2020 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by 36902BRF (Post 32467667)
Lots of DPs of delayed points posting from Amex on Hilton. A couple of bloggers have addressed this:

Amex Shutdowns Looming? - Million Mile Guy

https://milestomemories.com/is-amex-...comment-792395

Also appears to be impacting Delta and possibly Bonvoy.

Well, that backs up what 12th Man reported above.

David

anabolism Jun 19, 2020 10:15 am

Both of us did in excess of one mil points this last cycle.

Wow! So you and your relative both spent somewhere around $100,000 in one month on 12x categories? I can't even imagine how you might have done that. I assume some kind of MS? Any hints?

Edited to add: I see from one of the blog posts linked immediately above that the likely MS was via "buying Visa or Mastercard gift cards at supermarkets." That's still some serious MS. Is there some limit per card or per checkout? So this might be, say 200 gift cards at $500 each, purchased one at a time?

TTT103 Jun 29, 2020 2:12 pm

I just wanted to check to see if anyone has any updates on our precarious situation. I did not receive any points on my May statement, and my June statement closed last Wednesday, and no points were transferred to Hilton, either. The account is open and I am still able to make charges, albeit I have backed off the grocery spend.

mcgahat Jul 6, 2020 7:33 pm

So, I got an offer in the mail for 175,000 bonus points for this card. I just got an Amex Plat, does that matter? Also, there is an offer code on the letter but not date that I need to apply by. Any thoughts on how long that is good for?

jtav559 Jul 6, 2020 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism (Post 32469505)
Wow! So you and your relative both spent somewhere around $100,000 in one month on 12x categories? I can't even imagine how you might have done that. I assume some kind of MS? Any hints?

Edited to add: I see from one of the blog posts linked immediately above that the likely MS was via "buying Visa or Mastercard gift cards at supermarkets." That's still some serious MS. Is there some limit per card or per checkout? So this might be, say 200 gift cards at $500 each, purchased one at a time?

Most grocery stores are limiting to 1 or 2 $500 VGC per transaction. Used to be you could by 4 of them without issue @ $afeway, but that had been trimmed in the last 24 months. They have varying policies store to store on VGC purchases with a credit card.

So optimistically, 100 or so visits to a grocery store to buy VGC for MS. Do-able in a month if you had a 2nd card holder and enough stores in your area to create a rotational buying pattern, as to not "fish in one pond" so to say.