FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/931581-hilton-honors-surpass-card-american-express-formerly-called-ascend.html)

Eujeanie Oct 21, 2019 9:15 am

Originally Posted by rcmiller (Post 31651087)
I've got an offer to upgrade my Surpass to Aspire (and get the 150k points after meeting spend). I'm currently about $400 short in spend to hit the $15,000 free night benefit on the Surpass. How long should I wait after hitting the $15k to upgrade to the Aspire? I know transactions on the old card register towards the new card once approved for the upgrade, so I want to make sure and get the free night secured first.

We had the same choice and decided to keep the Surpass and apply separately for the Aspire (same 150k offer). We wanted to keep the Surpass because I know we can hit $15,000 each year which pays for the $95 annual fee (and for us it would be very difficult to hit $60K for the second Aspire night), and we also shop at supermarkets a lot so giving up the 6x spend for that would have been hard.

But if you want to simply upgrade I would wait until I had the certificate (complete with its number) in my account. And I'd probably reserve something just to be sure (you can always change it to something else later). I wouldn't trust them to not say "oh, that last $400 was earned under the Aspire so it doesn't count towards your Surpass free night".

rcmiller Oct 23, 2019 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by rcmiller (Post 31651087)
I've got an offer to upgrade my Surpass to Aspire (and get the 150k points after meeting spend). I'm currently about $400 short in spend to hit the $15,000 free night benefit on the Surpass. How long should I wait after hitting the $15k to upgrade to the Aspire? I know transactions on the old card register towards the new card once approved for the upgrade, so I want to make sure and get the free night secured first.

Interestingly enough, the offer to upgrade has now disappeared off my Amex account landing screen. It was in the form of a gray pop up box similar to the "Your Preapproved for a Loan...", etc.. that occasionally show up. The offer isn't listed in the Amex offers section and I haven't received an email offer. Almost as if they were trying to bait me into upgrading prior to hitting the $15k spend on the Surpass. Oh well, I'll see if it shows back up in a few weeks.

Troopers Oct 23, 2019 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by rcmiller (Post 31659481)
Interestingly enough, the offer to upgrade has now disappeared off my Amex account landing screen. It was in the form of a gray pop up box similar to the "Your Preapproved for a Loan...", etc.. that occasionally show up. The offer isn't listed in the Amex offers section and I haven't received an email offer. Almost as if they were trying to bait me into upgrading prior to hitting the $15k spend on the Surpass. Oh well, I'll see if it shows back up in a few weeks.

This happened to me but I found a link under Account Services (?) to upgrade the card.

elkhornne Oct 26, 2019 5:11 am

Did I miss something? I can't find any information about the extended warranty benefits on my Surpass. Did this benefit go away?

howie411 Oct 27, 2019 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by elkhornne (Post 31667802)
Did I miss something? I can't find any information about the extended warranty benefits on my Surpass. Did this benefit go away?

So this site seems to indicate its being removed as of 1/1/20. I haven't gotten any letters about it though. I did with my Amex Blue Cash (which I don't use though).

https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-car...added-removed/

If they really remove this all my big purchases are now going on my Visa.

kayexalate Oct 28, 2019 9:00 am

Will I lose my points if I cancel my card?

I have the Hilton honors surpass card. I’m in my 2nd year and my AF of $95 just billed on 10/25. As I understand I have up to 30 days so that would be until November 24 to cancel the card and get a full refund on my annual fee.

I am currently staying at a Hilton property and the points awarded for this stay using my Hilton surpass card will not post until the next statement which will generate On November 25.

So my question is: will the points awarded for this month’s statement be forfeited if I cancel my card on November 24 in order to get the annual fee back? The amount of points wouldn’t be a whole lot. my total stay will be about $450 so approximately 5400 points.

When I chatted with the Amex agent they first said “it may” be forfeited. Then they said it “will” be forfeited.
He said if I downgrade my card to the free card with no AF i wouldn’t lose my points, I would have to pay some prorated AF for the time I did have this card of about one month.

But my question is if I do downgrade to the no fee Amex Hilton card does that make me ineligible for any sign-up bonus for that card in the future?. I think the current offer is 80,000 points. I did have the no fee Hilton card years ago in 2005 (and closed that card 2 years ago when I opened my surpass card). So I’m not sure if that’s a once-in-a-lifetime offer and I would not be eligible anyways.

i will also contact retention to see what they can offer. What is a typical retention offer?
thanks

darthbimmer Oct 29, 2019 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate (Post 31673961)
So my question is: will the points awarded for this month’s statement be forfeited if I cancel my card on November 24 in order to get the annual fee back? The amount of points wouldn’t be a whole lot. my total stay will be about $450 so approximately 5400 points.

When you cancel a card, assume that any points you would have earned from spend after the last statement posted are forfeited. If you do happen to receive those points, consider it a glitch in your favor.

But my question is if I do downgrade to the no fee Amex Hilton card does that make me ineligible for any sign-up bonus for that card in the future?. I think the current offer is 80,000 points. I did have the no fee Hilton card years ago in 2005 (and closed that card 2 years ago when I opened my surpass card). So I’m not sure if that’s a once-in-a-lifetime offer and I would not be eligible anyways.
I would say yes, downgrading to the no-AF card makes you ineligible to receive a signup bonus for the no-AF card. But after as few as 4-5 months after downgrading, and almost certainly within a year, Amex will offer you an even more lucrative offer to upgrade back to Surpass. Some people have done the downgrade-upgrade-downgrade-upgrade dance for several years.

i will also contact retention to see what they can offer. What is a typical retention offer?
My last retention offer was 10k points/$2k spend/3 mos. Check in the Amex forum for more data points.

howie411 Nov 8, 2019 7:23 am

Diamond Status Extension?

Anyone know if you are supposed to get a confirmation if your Hilton Diamond Status is extended for another year? In Oct of 2018 I got an email that I was being upgraded to Diamond status for meeting the 40k spending limit. This year I didn't get any confirmation that I hit the limit, though I most definitely did. Was wondering if you are supposed to get some sort of confirm email.

mrlasssen Nov 13, 2019 11:43 am

Are there any data points out there that Amex Aspire Cards’s are reimbursing small amounts of airline gift cards?

sethb Nov 13, 2019 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by mrlasssen (Post 31733132)
Are there any data points out there that Amex Aspire Cards’s are reimbursing small amounts of airline gift cards?

They used to, but I've read that they stopped.

mrstraveler Nov 14, 2019 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by highinthesky (Post 29374191)
I'm in the same boat. My qualifying statement closed on November 22 and I'm still Gold. Both parties giving me a run around. I'm gonna wait 12 weeks as suggested by Amex representative and will raise hell if I'm not upgraded by my next statement.

I met my $40K spend on the Ascend on the 1st, my current statement closes on the 28th. I would like to be able to enjoy Diamond status for the rest of "this calendar year," which is less than two months, but I have no idea when I will be upgraded. Back when it was the Surpass card it seemed to go into effect almost immediately even if T&C said 10-12 weeks :mad:

setho212 Nov 14, 2019 8:22 pm

I signed up for the 130k points + free weekend night offer on the Surpass card that expired on August 28, 2019. I hit the minimum spend in 2 months and received the 130k points but I have not yet received the free weekend night certificate. I did a customer service chat with Amex tonight and the customer service representative is telling me I will get the free weekend night after the first anniversary of card membership. I'm fairly certain this is not correct, but all the links for this offer are expired so I cant check the fine print. Can anyone confirm I should get the free weekend night upon hitting the minimum spend and not a year later?

DaveInLA Nov 21, 2019 1:14 pm

I upgraded my free AMEX Hilton card to Ascend (now Surpass) in March 2019 and paid a partial annual fee. The full $95 fee posted a few weeks ago. I don’t use the card much as I also have the Aspire. If I downgrade the Surpass now, will I be at risk for having the upgrade bonus clawed back? I believe the terms say card closures <1 year raise their eyebrows but I don’t know about downgrades.

izzik Nov 27, 2019 3:33 am

Originally Posted by mrstraveler (Post 31738096)
I met my $40K spend on the Ascend on the 1st, my current statement closes on the 28th. I would like to be able to enjoy Diamond status for the rest of "this calendar year," which is less than two months, but I have no idea when I will be upgraded. Back when it was the Surpass card it seemed to go into effect almost immediately even if T&C said 10-12 weeks :mad:

I hit the 40k this cycle and the diamond status kicked in at the end of the billing cycle when I got the bill. So, fingers crossed for you!

dwcatty Nov 27, 2019 4:07 am

Originally Posted by howie411 (Post 31714964)
Anyone know if you are supposed to get a confirmation if your Hilton Diamond Status is extended for another year? In Oct of 2018 I got an email that I was being upgraded to Diamond status for meeting the 40k spending limit. This year I didn't get any confirmation that I hit the limit, though I most definitely did. Was wondering if you are supposed to get some sort of confirm email.

I received that email today: Subject: dwcatty, you've extended your Diamond status!

In the body of the email it says "Enjoy status through 31-Mar-2021."

I passed the $40,000 threshold at the end of August.