FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/931581-hilton-honors-surpass-card-american-express-formerly-called-ascend.html)

B3nder Dec 17, 2018 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by yjc281 (Post 30546198)
The free night certs are not as flexible as points...so the value is not very stable.(and they do expire)

There are tradeoffs. Points don't expire and can be used on M-Thurs so they're more flexible in that respect.

But certs are much more stable value. Points repetitively devalue, whereas the cert does not (unless they start excepting many more properties).

Regardless, you asked what you were missing in the comparison. For your upgrade offer to aspire you get points AND a weekend night certificate ~immediately. It has a value. Is it equivalent to 95k points? (The current "Max" standard room charge, unless they've raised it again....) Probably not. If you have a family member with a card too or a couple other possibilities, you might have two or three allowing a weekend used at once which gives you a few more options.

For the annual fee you get $250 airline, $250 Hilton Resort, AND a free night certificate with no spend requirement. YMMV assigning values to these. I assign around $200, $150, and $200. That comes out to net annual fee of negative $100 with the current rules for each. And I also get Diamond which I otherwise would not.
​​​​​​
All of the "credits" on these premium cards are purposefully somewhat painful to manage. But the aspire is one of the few with a net negative annual fee after credits. I've got six certs to figure out where to use next year, along with $500 at Hilton "resorts". It's my test year for seeing how painful this is to manage. Also piling up Southwest gift cards that I don't know what to do with (around $1500 of those as of next January).

beltway Dec 19, 2018 4:10 pm

[gon]

yjc281 Dec 19, 2018 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 30554644)
My DW got the same. For people who have done this (or similar Amex upgrades in the past), did you have any trouble with the non-targeted spouse using the upgrade offer? (I note the 2017 change in Amex T&C threatening bonus denial/revocation "if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome bonus offer (s) that we did not intend for you.")

The offer my DW received said 4K in the email graphic, but everywhere else in the email, as well as on the web sign-up, stated a minimum spend of $3K.

I upgraded to Ascend from the no fee card about 3 months ago The deal was 3k spending and 150k points. (est. value $750)
After the upgrade Amex offered 4k spending and 150k points for upgrading to Aspire. It was there for a long time until I applied and got approved an AMEX Platinum under the same online account.
The actual offer should be based on what you see on the sign-up page. (whether 3k or 4k required) It should be very clear in the T&C.

I do not think you can even get to the upgrade sign up page if not offered.
If I try to access certain AMEX promo pages (e.g. points for adding authorized users) using my wife's login, it always gives an error.
Now that the Aspire offer has expired I can no longer access the sign up page using the same URL. I'm still working on the 5k for Platinum so really can't spend another 4k for Aspire.
I'm surprised though they offered me a second upgrade even while I was still working on the bonus from Ascend!

beltway Dec 19, 2018 7:00 pm

[[[[[

RedElmo Jan 5, 2019 12:08 am

When does the 10 priority pass visits reset? Every Jan 1st or your anniversary date?

mrx900 Jan 5, 2019 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by RedElmo (Post 30612447)
When does the 10 priority pass visits reset? Every Jan 1st or your anniversary date?

good question -- I used two my passes last week, and got charged.

RedElmo Jan 5, 2019 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by mrx900 (Post 30614473)
good question -- I used two my passes last week, and got charged.

So are we saying it is tied to our credit card application date? Not calendar year?

mrx900 Jan 5, 2019 2:16 pm

I was under the impression its from when we signed up with PP

WorldTraveler1752 Jan 30, 2019 6:45 pm

How did y’all sign up for priority pass? I did it on the American Express website. Am I supposed to be getting anything in the mail?

Cledaybuck Jan 30, 2019 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by WorldTraveler1752 (Post 30721509)
How did y’all sign up for priority pass? I did it on the American Express website. Am I supposed to be getting anything in the mail?

Yeah, I got a membership card in the mail.

mrx900 Jan 30, 2019 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by WorldTraveler1752 (Post 30721509)

i did it from chat

paradox Feb 13, 2019 5:59 pm

I already have Priority Pass through a couple of other cards. Can I give the ten PP visits to someone else or sign that person up instead of me? The Ascend's PP benefit is useless to me, so I'd like to let a relative use it.

RedElmo Feb 13, 2019 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by paradox (Post 30775660)
I already have Priority Pass through a couple of other cards. Can I give the ten PP visits to someone else or sign that person up instead of me? The Ascend's PP benefit is useless to me, so I'd like to let a relative use it.

No it’s under your name. Unless your relative has the same name. if they don’t check ID maybe they can use your card or mobile check in. But I think they usually checked ID

Voodoo Daddy Feb 14, 2019 6:20 am

Originally Posted by mrx900 (Post 30614735)
I was under the impression its from when we signed up with PP

Yes, it is driven by the Priority Pass membership date, not calendar year. I was told this by a PP representative and have observed it to be true by experience.

Voodoo Daddy Feb 14, 2019 6:25 am

Originally Posted by RedElmo (Post 30775847)

No it’s under your name. Unless your relative has the same name. if they don’t check ID maybe they can use your card or mobile check in. But I think they usually checked ID

I don't think my ID has been checked, but they have often checked my boarding pass to make sure I'm actually flying that day. I assume if the boarding pass showed someone else's name, it would be an issue.