Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {FRA} (France)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {FRA} (France)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Can any recent Diamond stays please report on their experiences with upgrades or other perks that they might have been showered with...?
What is their policy with kids - a second question for those who might have taken little ones along... is it a kid friendly place? I'm thinking of a stay here vs. Paris La Defense...
Although our experience is not recent and at the time we stayed we were only golds, we did stay with my parents-in-law and four daughters aged 6-13. We were upgraded to two rooms on the top full floor of the hotel along with a suite on the same floor. We received free breakfast for all 8 of us (possibly because of the suite?) and also received free tea and macarons in the evening. They treated our girls like princesses throughout our stay. I would highly recommend this hotel for a family traveling with children.
gottaluvNW likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Although our experience is not recent and at the time we stayed we were only golds, we did stay with my parents-in-law and four daughters aged 6-13. We were upgraded to two rooms on the top full floor of the hotel along with a suite on the same floor. We received free breakfast for all 8 of us (possibly because of the suite?) and also received free tea and macarons in the evening. They treated our girls like princesses throughout our stay. I would highly recommend this hotel for a family traveling with children.
Was the free breakfast a full breakfast or a limited continental breakfast?
more4less likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:03 pm

It was the complete Father’s Day brunch.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by sapguy

Excellent! Looking forward to my Diamond breakfast at my upcoming stay in May!
UPDATE: my stay in May as a Diamond was excellent!

Was upgraded to a huge deluxe room with a gigantic bathroom with a wonderful view of the grounds!

The Diamond complimentary breakfast was fantastic, as I basically got anything that I wanted from the buffet breakfast.

Dinner at the more casual and fully packed Gordon Ramsay Veranda was very nice!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I had a pleasant stay here over the weekend. It's a beautiful property with touches of real luxury, but a surprisingly low price point. When I was there the guests were mainly busloads of American tourists, but also some members of a Middle Eastern Royal Family so a bit of a mix, but definitely more shorts and large groups than the setup of the venue would suggest.

As a Diamond I was upgraded from a basic room in the Pavillion to a very large former Suite in the main building. We were on the last day of the Paris heatwave, and the air conditioning was completely unable to deal with the 37 degrees weather, which made it a bit uncomfortable.

I enjoyed Gordon Ramsay and recognize that you pay premium rates for such a level of food (199EUR for the taster, plus wines), but felt that F&B was ridiculously priced in the rest of the property - something that I rarely will complain of, but it is priced above properties like the Prince de Galles and almost at the level of Le Meurice. A toasted sandwich was 28EUR and a glass of juice was 12EUR, which I felt was gauging.

As a visitor to Versailles, the Concierge are key. There's an online form where you can request they reach out on specifics before the trip which they ignored. They also didn't respond to my email, which was annoying. I visited the Concierge in person to ask some questions and was told that I couldn't make use of the hotel's private tours because I didn't book in advance. Yeah, thanks for that.

The next day they had a Clef D'Or Concierge on the desk who was very competent and who actually helped us skip the queue into the Chateau de Versailles - it looks like they have a problem with consistency, perhaps a mixed team during peak season?

Overall, I'd go back for a relaxing break from central Paris, but would bear in mind that a 250EUR or so room rate is more like 400EUR if you include the F&B price gouging.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

Overall, I'd go back for a relaxing break from central Paris, but would bear in mind that a 250EUR or so room rate is more like 400EUR if you include the F&B price gouging.
Are there any inexpensive restaurants nearby?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:44 am

Yes, there is a restaurant that is just at the end of the street leading to the Trianon that is reasonably priced, as well as several more along that street that we didn’t try, but seemed to be reasonable. They are less than a 5 minutes walk.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
When I was at the Trianon Palace in May, I did not see any price gouging at their restaurants. In fact, I ate at the bar one night and I thought that the prices were reasonable.

I dined at La Veranda by Gordon Ramsay and thought that the prices were very reasonable, especially the wine list. It’s not a steal by any stretch of the imagination but the prices are fair and in line with a luxury hotel.

Paris and France are expensive places to eat. Unless you want to eat awful food, those restaurants down the street from the Trianon Palace are not necessarily much cheaper- of course, YMMV
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:20 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
There are plenty of other F&B options in Versailles, as has been noted here. There's also Ore from Alain Ducasse in the Chateau de Versailles itself which is cheaper than eating at La Veranda and significantly higher end in atmosphere and food.

Living in Paris I do have a reasonable understanding of the cost of food (and France is really not an expensive place to eat in general), but I felt that my specific example was evidence enough of price gouging - obviously each to their own One can have a fish or duck at a 1eme Arondissement Michelin star restaurant for less than a Caesar Salad or Club Sandwich at the Waldorf Astoria.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:26 am

I share the exact same point of view as EuropeanPete. Paris and (France in general) is a great place to eat.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:42 pm

We also had a very nice one night stay at the Trianon Palace a few days ago. As a diamond member, we were upgraded from a basic Pavillon room to a King Deluxe room in the main building. The view was great, although we couldn't see the garden because of the trees.

The complimentary breakfast was very good, although in terms of quantity and quality I thought the breakfast at the Intercontinental Le Grand was better. It seemed that we were offered all the items such as omelettes that were available, which was a plus.

The hotel also gave us two vouchers for drinks. We went for two glasses of wine and also purchased a strawberry tiramisu for our daughter.

After visiting the Versailles chateau and garden, we went to some Italian place in downtown Versailles. The food was great. I think we paid about 50 Euros for two entrees and two glasses of wine and a calamari as a starter.

All in all the our experience was great.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM/LT GLD, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, National Emerald Exec
Upgraded from the Pavillion to a Palace superior on the top floor. Rather disappointing given the hotel was empty and the top floor rooms have laughably small windows. And kinda weird bathrooms.

Dinner at the bar terrace was nice though menu limited and very geared to Americans. Complimentary red wine with the drink voucher was outstanding. Probably not the best value but was traveling in business so didn’t care.

Overall impression was fine though in some ways rather generic (the fact it’s technically a palace aside). No major complaints. It’s just not as spectacular as the brand or location would imply.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
FHR

Any recent stay experiences here booked under Amex FHR? Am I correct in thinking I should still get all HH Diamond benefits, and points in addition to FHR ones? (I'm aware some overlap).
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:17 pm

I don't have an Amex FHR so I can't say - but I am diamond and have an Amex HH card, (aspire or ascend I think, can't remember - I have nearly 200 nights since November, so I attain status through stays.) I get diamond benefits/points automatically after the stay is completed and then my Amex earned points in addition to those usually drop into my HH account about 2-3 weeks after the end of that billing period, so I believe you'll likely get both.

FWIW, I was upgraded to a nice deluxe room in the main building on a reward stay but had to be moved to the Pavillon building mid-stay. (total of 5 nights, 3 in main building 2 in Pavillon) Breakfast received was a full breakfast with all the trimmings, actually I saw a man (who loudly announced himself a diamond member) that routinely took advantage of it every morning - he came and asked for to-go boxes and filled them up from the breakfast buffet and took them back to his room, so that might be something for next trip, lol. After being in the main building the Pavillon building is glaringly unequivocal (the cheapie crown moldings, the caulked-edged bathrooms, smaller tubs, etc.) Since this was only half of our trip overseas I didn't mind experiencing both rooms. Now I know that next time I absolutely want to be in the main building and it may be worth securing a paid upgrade for - I would gladly stay here again when in Paris - we felt so safe and comfortable walking in the evenings and I love Versailles quiet and well kept streets compared to the busier parts of Paris. The L train is brand new and quite comfortable into the city. I was treated well by all the staff, and did receive drinks vouchers on top of the temporary upgrade. However, I'll say that as an *almost* lifetime diamond member I don't think I received treatment above and beyond compared to some other resorts we've stayed at - especially compared to Marriott's treatment, but I am lifetime with them. They certainly did better than the Doubletree we were forced to stay at in London, though. Never again, ya'll! Concierge was friendly and the grounds are lovely. Although the room service spaghetti *did* make my daughter quite ill, so I'd advise against room service.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ghosties
I don't have an Amex FHR so I can't say - but I am diamond and have an Amex HH card, (aspire or ascend I think, can't remember - I have nearly 200 nights since November, so I attain status through stays.) I get diamond benefits/points automatically after the stay is completed and then my Amex earned points in addition to those usually drop into my HH account about 2-3 weeks after the end of that billing period, so I believe you'll likely get both.
Many thanks for the report ghosties!

Amex FHR (Fine Hotels & Resorts) isn't a card, but a hotel benefit program Amex platinum members have access to.
Sounds like you had a nice stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.