FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {FRA} (France)
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:46 am
EuropeanPete

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I had a pleasant stay here over the weekend. It's a beautiful property with touches of real luxury, but a surprisingly low price point. When I was there the guests were mainly busloads of American tourists, but also some members of a Middle Eastern Royal Family so a bit of a mix, but definitely more shorts and large groups than the setup of the venue would suggest.

As a Diamond I was upgraded from a basic room in the Pavillion to a very large former Suite in the main building. We were on the last day of the Paris heatwave, and the air conditioning was completely unable to deal with the 37 degrees weather, which made it a bit uncomfortable.

I enjoyed Gordon Ramsay and recognize that you pay premium rates for such a level of food (199EUR for the taster, plus wines), but felt that F&B was ridiculously priced in the rest of the property - something that I rarely will complain of, but it is priced above properties like the Prince de Galles and almost at the level of Le Meurice. A toasted sandwich was 28EUR and a glass of juice was 12EUR, which I felt was gauging.

As a visitor to Versailles, the Concierge are key. There's an online form where you can request they reach out on specifics before the trip which they ignored. They also didn't respond to my email, which was annoying. I visited the Concierge in person to ask some questions and was told that I couldn't make use of the hotel's private tours because I didn't book in advance. Yeah, thanks for that.

The next day they had a Clef D'Or Concierge on the desk who was very competent and who actually helped us skip the queue into the Chateau de Versailles - it looks like they have a problem with consistency, perhaps a mixed team during peak season?

Overall, I'd go back for a relaxing break from central Paris, but would bear in mind that a 250EUR or so room rate is more like 400EUR if you include the F&B price gouging.