Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels at Los Angeles Airport LAX, California {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels at Los Angeles Airport LAX, California {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Thanks for the info.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Probably just peak and off-peak pricing for a category 5 hotel.
Correct. The ES South goes from 30K in April to 40K in May, though the ES North is showing 40K for February through June. The Hilton search tool is useful:

http://hhonorspointssearchtool.com/

OP might look at the DoubleTree in El Segundo, which is an okay property with free parking, and is available in May for 30K points. Parking at the ES South is $26, though you can try to park on the street. I think parking at the ES North is about the same, but really no street parking anywhere.

David
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It's hard for me to justify paying 30-40K HH points for something like the LAX DT El Segundo or the LAX Hilton, when LAX hotel properties are quite often $100 or less on Priceline or Hotwire, and 40K HH gets you a room at Conrad Macao (which won't cost you $100). All the LAX Hilton properties are "basic airport hotel", so I don't really care so much if I end up in a Hilton, the LAX 4P, LAX Renaissance Montura, and so on. The points and elite status bennies are rarely worth it, IMO (especially if you end up shelling out $ for parking).

Every so often I've snagged the DT El Segundo for $70-90 all-in using the MVP code. That's a pretty decent deal, especially adding in free parking. But seriously, do a check on Priceline/Hotwire for your dates, look for 3.5-4 star hotels at LAX, and compare.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:51 am

LAX: Hilton or DT?

Looking to stay late august one night by LAX; both the LAX Hilton and the DT are showing up as 30k points. Opinions? I've stayed at the DT before and liked it; not sure about the Hilton.

Now, the "Hilton" is supposed to be the flagship, right? is it theoretically nicer than doubletrees? I know it varies by location quite a bit, of course.

Thanks,

rmxjzr
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:18 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by rmxjzr

Now, the "Hilton" is supposed to be the flagship, right? is it theoretically nicer than doubletrees? I know it varies by location quite a bit, of course.

Thanks,

rmxjzr
In theory, you are right but as you noted, this varies greatly by location. Given an airport location, I would probably pick the 2XTree just because the Hilton may be more worn out from heavy Aircrew use.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I stayed at both about a year and a half ago and the Hilton had been recently renovated. The LAX Hilton is a pretty big hotel even by by airport hotel standards and the lounge is the type of lounge where they put down a few food trays and within 10 minutes it looks like a pack of wolves went thru them. The Doubletree is a bit more dowdy but if I recall they did not charge for parking (at the Hilton parking is pricey) and the staff was friendly and if you are gold/diamond, the breakfast was a real breakfast.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:19 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I spent a quick night at the LAX Hilton last week...

Room was clean, comfy and the food in the lounge wasn't bad...Perfect for me after a long transpac flight. They had fried shrimp, some egg rolls, several cold dishes--veggies, cheese and the like.

I picked this hotel over the Doubletree because of the airport shuttle. The Hilton runs 24 hours (I had a 5:30AM flight). No other area HH property had a shuttle that ran early enough to get me to the airport in time to check bags.

The best part was I requested a room with a runway view...And I had a front-row view of LAX from the top floor of the hotel. ^
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
If price is the same or close I would stay at the Hilton or either of the two Embassys.
See also these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...eviews-11.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...irport-25.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...s-south-3.html
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at the Hilton LAX back in March I had booked the MVP rate and I was upgraded to a suite as Diamond it was very spacious and in good condition. The lounge was heaving but the F&B on offer wasn't too bad. If you value a full breakfast then you should perhaps consider the DT, as we had an early departure we left before breakfast even started and ate a little in the AA Flagship lounge.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I've stayed at the DT, Embassy Suites and LAX Hilton, as well as recently, the LAX Hilton. I do not care about breakfast in the lounge, so take that into consideration with my recommendation for LAX Hilton first, Westin second.

The Hilton has had major renovations and when I last stayed there, the room I had was fresh and in very good shape. I booked a standard room and ended up with a nice large room on a high floor. Service in the bar and restaurant was pretty consistent and efficient.

I was at the Westin a week ago for two night and had few complaints as well. I casually asked for a terrace room or one with a small patio and got a corner terrace suite. Very nice. ^
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
The best part was I requested a room with a runway view...And I had a front-row view of LAX from the top floor of the hotel. ^
Exactly why I prefer the Hilton. Only downside, this can be a bit distracting.

Originally Posted by ptownca
I was at the Westin a week ago for two night and had few complaints as well. I casually asked for a terrace room or one with a small patio and got a corner terrace suite. Very nice. ^
If you're talking about the Westin up the road on Century, your luck was far better than mine. Stayed there 5-6 times, no love at all. Decent lounge but always had rooms that were a hike from the elevator, twice right by the dog pound. Noisy nights indeed.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
The Hilton has become my goto LAX hotel due to three things..

1. The MVP Rate is generally offered when I need it, putting the price at an acceptable level.

2. Overall service and facility are not bad. I usually check in at the lounge, and am usually on the exec level, though I rarely see any real upgrade in rooms.

3. I return my Hertz rental cars right in the deep dark dungeon of this hotel, so no shuttling to get to the hotel.

Having said that, my opinion of this hotel is not great....

1. The lounge is a zoo most of the time. Drinks are as pricey as the bar in the lobby. The evening offerings are a joke. Breakfast is no better and always a,mess... If I am there for breakfast, I go to the restaurant.

2. The lounge is ok for dinner, but can be very busy. Watch out for the uncomfortable bar stools with no legroom. The bar design is hideous.

3. The shuttle is like riding a bus in a third world country... Long lines, people who push past, and just overcrowded....

I like the ES around the corner and have had decent luck there, but the rates tend to be significantly higher. I have not tried the DT, and may now try it after reading this thread. The Hilton is not bad for an overnight.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I picked this hotel over the Doubletree because of the airport shuttle. The Hilton runs 24 hours (I had a 5:30AM flight). No other area HH property had a shuttle that ran early enough to get me to the airport in time to check bags.
^
Valuable info, might've prevented a nasty surprise! Thanks! ^
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Valuable info, might've prevented a nasty surprise! Thanks! ^
But if IRCC, the Embassy uses the same shuttle as the Hilton, as it is the next stop.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
But if IRCC, the Embassy uses the same shuttle as the Hilton, as it is the next stop.
Oh! Well, might just plan around it then...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.