Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
It's hot there, especially if you're not in the shade. If you're lying on the beach, you should be comfortable in swimwear. If you go out to a restaurant, you'll just want to make sure that your dress clothing is light and airy.
We live in Florida, so we're used to standing on the surface of the sun
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by marcmsj
We live in Florida, so we're used to standing on the surface of the sun
Then you're set!

When we were there, the daily high was around 85 F, and the nightly low around 80. It's not as humid as Florida, either. Really nice place.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by marcmsj
I am around a month away now from my 5 night stay. Anything I should be doing to get ready? I'm assuming they will contact me soon to get my flight details to arrange for the sea plane, etc. When can/should I start making reservations for the different activities, meals?
Buy some reef shoes if you plan on walking around and getting up close to the marine life in shallow water or if you are going to be on the sunset side of Rangali Island, i.e; in a SunWV, PWV, SWV or DWV (or WV on the sunset side - remember that's luck of the draw to be on that side) and want to do the same. When we plan on staying on Rangali Island we always bring a pair. If it's your first time there and you have spare time now you can start familiarising yourself with the resort's map, menus (if you really want to make a set plan for dining (isn't at all restricting as it sounds) I suggest booking everything pre-arrival just to be 100% sure) and whether you want to do any special dinners (taking note of what days of the week your stay is and what restaurants are closed when). Maybe consider some excursions and spa treatments (ask them to send you brochures in PDF format). Before our first trip to Rangali I spent somewhere in the region of 200-300 hours doing this and I suggest you at least get familiar with the basics as your 5-night stay will fly by very quickly. Time sure does fly when you're having fun!

If you do want dining recommendations let me know and tell me which day of the week you arrive and I'll suggest a plan.

And thanks everyone for posting alternative email addresses for the reservations team. I'll add a link to this page to the wiki so if anyone finds it difficult to get in touch via email they have a couple of alternatives.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Jan 13, 2019 at 5:10 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dustin Carter
Trying to find any data points on complimentary upgrades at this property. I will be visiting for my first time in late March. I am a Diamond Member. I know this resort is exempt from the upgrade policy however I wondered if anybody lucks out and gets upgraded. We will be there for 7 nights in a Water Villa. I have seen the upgrade options people have posted with prices but wondered if anybody lucked out with a free one on check in. Can't wait.
On two visits I had paid for an upgrade to a SWV, the other visits (3) we've been upgraded every time*. They will definitely upgrade Golds and Diamonds if they have free a room for more than a single night at the end of your stay. I don't think they will upgrade you if a room is going to be available in the middle of your stay. At least I haven't heard of anyone getting an upgrade then having to go back to their original room. Doesn't make much sense to ask guests to move twice unless they are staying for two weeks or something like that.

* I think they do this so they can pull quite a few pins out of the doll on each upgrade. This gives them the opportunitty to put more pins in when they feel necessary.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Jan 13, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
If you do want dining recommendations let me know and tell me which day of the week you arrive and I'll suggest a plan.
Thanks for the tips. We arrive on a Tuesday (land at noon in Male) and leave Sunday evening. Any dining recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We don't care about anything too fancy, so anything that's a good value would be nice.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:58 pm

Do we have a breakdown of beach villa/suites similar to the OW ones I found, below...

Total number of rooms: 150
Total number of OWVs: 71

Total number of WVs: 28
Total number of SWVs: 12

Total number of RWVs: 14
Total number of FWVs: 7

Total number of DWVs: 6
Total number of PWVs: 2
Total number of SunWVs: 2
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Do we have a breakdown of beach villa/suites similar to the OW ones I found, below...

Total number of rooms: 150
Total number of OWVs: 71

Total number of WVs: 28
Total number of SWVs: 12

Total number of RWVs: 14
Total number of FWVs: 7

Total number of DWVs: 6
Total number of PWVs: 2
Total number of SunWVs: 2
I believe there are more DBV than BV. Like 40 to 35 or something.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
@MaldivesFreak
New to this thread and great info in the wiki. Also thank you to @MaldivesFreak for the wealth of information on multiple Maldives properties. I am curious as to why the upgrade to Deluxe Water Villa (1240sqft) is more than the Retreat Water Villa (1610sqft). I have booked a 6 night reward stay at the Water Villa as a Hilton Diamond member, and have already been upgraded into a Superior Water Villa.

Is it worth further upgrading it into a Retreat Water Villa or Deluxe Water Villa? I was quoted $175 for the Retreat, and $200 for the Deluxe. I am heavily leaning towards being on the private Rangali island. Is there a substantial difference besides size between Superior and Deluxe/Retreat that warrants $200/175 night? I value views and marine life, and a more modern interior if anything.

Also, reading about the renovations, my stay is in December of 2019, so 11 months away, will this affect my booking? And which of the Overwater Villas are recently renovated?

Lastly, is Mandhoo still serving breakfast to Hilton Gold/Diamond elites?

Sorry for my many questions, and I would greatly appreciate responses to them. Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by cce5858; Jan 14, 2019 at 1:37 am
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cce5858
There is no breakfast at Mandhoo for anyone, regardless of status. It was only open for breakfast for a short period while Vilu was closed for renovations last year.

Breakfast is served at Atoll market (large buffet), Vilu (very small buffet + a la carte) and in your room.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Ovo-lacto or strict vegan?
Ovo-lacto. Don't think I could go full vegan!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
Ovo-lacto. Don't think I could go full vegan!
You're good, then. I'm not a vegetarian, but I think I could live off of the fruit, cheese, and pastries at breakfast.

Most of the restaurant menus are online and should give you an idea. They all seem to have good vegetarian options.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cce5858
@MaldivesFreak
New to this thread and great info in the wiki. Also thank you to @MaldivesFreak for the wealth of information on multiple Maldives properties. I am curious as to why the upgrade to Deluxe Water Villa (1240sqft) is more than the Retreat Water Villa (1610sqft). I have booked a 6 night reward stay at the Water Villa as a Hilton Diamond member, and have already been upgraded into a Superior Water Villa.

Is it worth further upgrading it into a Retreat Water Villa or Deluxe Water Villa? I was quoted $175 for the Retreat, and $200 for the Deluxe. I am heavily leaning towards being on the private Rangali island. Is there a substantial difference besides size between Superior and Deluxe/Retreat that warrants $200/175 night? I value views and marine life, and a more modern interior if anything.

Also, reading about the renovations, my stay is in December of 2019, so 11 months away, will this affect my booking? And which of the Overwater Villas are recently renovated?

Sorry for my many questions, and I would greatly appreciate responses to them. Thank you all in advance.
I upgraded to a SWV on the small island during my last stay, and our friends were in the RWV during our stay so spent some time there. I would say it is up to you whether the price is worth the upgrade to a RWV, however the biggest benefits of a RWV vs SWV IMO are the following:
(1) you are much closer to the reef / snorkeling; and can also swim right from your deck to the main reef; vs a long buggy ride from SWV
(2) there may be a bit more marine life outside your villa
(3) larger outside deck and inside space

QQ for you - what rate were you quoted to upgrade from the base water villa to a SWV in December 2019? Is the $175++ rate to go to RWV in addition to what you have already paid to upgrade to a SWV?

thanks in advance!

Last edited by brandonpkt; Jan 14, 2019 at 9:25 am
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by brandonpkt

I upgraded to a SWV on the small island during my last stay, and our friends were in the RWV during our stay so spent some time there. I would say it is up to you whether the price is worth the upgrade to a RWV, however the biggest benefits of a RWV vs SWV IMO are the following:
(1) you are much closer to the reef / snorkeling; and can also swim right from your deck to the main reef; vs a long buggy ride from SWV
(2) there may be a bit more marine life outside your villa
(3) larger outside deck and inside space

QQ for you - what rate were you quoted to upgrade from the base water villa to a SWV in December 2019? Is the $175++ rate to go to RWV in addition to what you have already paid to upgrade to a SWV?

thanks in advance!
Ha ha, I wouldn’t have wanted to swim from 421 to the house reef - it’s quite far! I could have but it’s a bit of a distance!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by JetSet05
We previously did the dream island excursion (the private option, not the group option). I believe it was around $600 or $650. It was cool to do once, but I wouldn't do it again, They did set up a really great picnic area for us. One of the down sides is the snorkeling was not great.
Do you recommend it or would you rather recommend something else? I have some stuff planned and was interested in the snorkeling trip, evening fishing, a catamaran lesson, evening dolphin excursions, and just doing sea doo/jet ski at the hotel.

What are your thoughts or anyone's thoughts?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pineapple_09

Ha ha, I wouldn’t have wanted to swim from 421 to the house reef - it’s quite far! I could have but it’s a bit of a distance!

it definitely is far! i don’t remember the specific RWV our friends had (wasn’t 421), but we would frequently meet them at their villa and swim straight out to the drop off adjacent to the RWV and then folllow the drop off all the way to the end of the house reef closest to the staff island, where we would swim back to the beach

Actually the section of the drop off / reef by the RWVs, was where saw some of our best marine life (octopus, turtles, etc...). I think MF added a link to Scubaroo’s snorkel map at some point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.