Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Must Now Have All Points in Hilton Honors Account Before Booking Reward Reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Must Now Have All Points in Hilton Honors Account Before Booking Reward Reservation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2007, 3:40 am

From a common sense standpoint I can understand why they wouldn't allow us to book rooms without having the points. I would hope that they use common sense and allow a certain flexibility when they can see stays have been completed but points haven't posted for whatever reason.

Unfortunately I'm sure this is a case of a few rotten apples spoiling it for everyone. Only takes a few people making all kinds of points reservations that they can't honor to have Hilton decide its not fair to those that actually have the points.

What I'd really like them to do is to have ALL of their hotels simply follow the rules that exist. What I find surprising is that from my own observations the hotels that treat their customers overall well, and also treat their diamond guests well are almost always busy. There are a couple of examples of hilton hotels that offer terrible customer service and are still busy - but many more examples of hiltons that could be much more successful if they'd only offer decent customer service.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Why would they do this in the first place?

One poster stated that it seemed a bit odd that they would allow you to make a reservation w/out the required points to begin with...I'm paraphrasing. While I can see that point, the other side of the coin could have been that if you get closer to the travel dates and you don't have the points, perhaps Hilton was hoping you would plop down $400 and buy the extra needed....if it was close enough to the end of the year and your trip was in the next calendar year, they may be able to get $800 out of you.

Just a thought...although since the perk has been taken away, I suppose it makes not difference at this point.

Dawn
Old Aug 19, 2007, 1:04 am

I wrote HHonors an email venting my frustration at the change in policy. I know it means so little, but I thought I would at least let the program reps know how I felt.

I make my travel plans WAY in advance. 8 months to a year beforehand. As a Diamond member with 60+ nights a year (on my own dime) I appreciated this service and used it frequently.
Here is their response....

We are very sorry to learn you are not happy with the HHonors program. We do strive at all times to ensure the comfort and ease of travel for all HHonors members and especially our loyal Diamond Members.

We changed the reward redemption to having to have the points in your account at time of booking so as to match the website.

We realize you have a choice of where to stay when you travel and we hope you will give us another chance to impress you with our commitment to excellent service.

We appreciate your business.

Best Regards,

ummmmm....... right.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:14 pm

New HHonors Policy - Must Have Points Before Booking Reward Reservation via Telephone

I just attempted to make a reward reservation via telephone and was told that there is a new policy as of about one week ago that you must have the points needed for your reward in your account before you can make a reservation. This new policy is very dissapointing to me. I greatly appreciated the old policy in which reward reservations could be made in advance without having the points in hand. Now I anticpate it will be much more difficult for me to plan my vacations in advance since I try to use my points as soon as I earn them.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by rack him
I just attempted to make a reward reservation via telephone and was told that there is a new policy as of about one week ago that you must have the points needed for your reward in your account before you can make a reservation. This new policy is very dissapointing to me. I greatly appreciated the old policy in which reward reservations could be made in advance without having the points in hand. Now I anticpate it will be much more difficult for me to plan my vacations in advance since I try to use my points as soon as I earn them.

You're way late....
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...before+booking
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA, NW, CO, AA (General Member)
about a week too late
Old Aug 25, 2007, 12:03 am

Programs: AA P, QFPM, EYG, HH D, PC PA
Drats - that's not good. Have often used this feature in the past.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:08 am

I have loads of points in my account which I am unable to use because I am almost never able to get rooms for points with Hilton. Often I end up using starwood as it seems their availability is better. It has gotten to the point where I stay at a starwood if I will pay and earn points, because at least I know I can use them later. If this change will increase availability, I fully support it.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 6:19 pm

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
Marriott allows you to place a reservation without having all the points available.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 7:53 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I wish they would do something like AMEX does...

If you want a reward from Amex and don't have the points, you can advance up to 15,000 points based on (I assume) your spending patterns.
Now i realize a CC isn't like a hotel stay but it seems like Hilton could give some wiggle room there - book it if you're only short X points ..
Old Aug 25, 2007, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
IMHO it does make sense. If you read the Marriott board there are people who have multiple (and I do mean MULTIPLE) award reservations that they will eventually cancel depending how their plans pan out.

As long as Diamond desk and hotels can "open" up inventory for Diamond members I am satisfied with the program.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 8:21 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2
As long as Diamond desk and hotels can "open" up inventory for Diamond members I am satisfied with the program.
And for their top elites that is one of the strengths of Hilton (and *wood) over Marriott. But one of Marriott's strengths is that I can still make that reservation even if I don't have the points yet in my account (or even if I have the points, I may make more than one reservation and hold until I decide which one I will really take.)

I will admit that I definitely make use of this Marriott benefit. The reason is that Marriott hotels tend to put so few rooms out for standard awards that we have to play that game. With Hilton and *wood the top level elites don't have to play as they will have more availability to pull awards from.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Color me silly but how do you make a reward reservation that you are going to pay for with an alternative award (ie the AXON or GLON awards)? My limited experience with the website is you HAVE to use one of the traditional awards.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 3:48 pm

I just got back from a GLONP @ the Hilton Effiel.

Scott
Old Aug 27, 2007, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I just got back from a GLONP @ the Hilton Effiel.
And???

Welcome back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.