Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Must Now Have All Points in Hilton Honors Account Before Booking Reward Reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Must Now Have All Points in Hilton Honors Account Before Booking Reward Reservation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2007, 8:23 am

Programs: AA 1MM; Hilton Diamond
So, how can you reserve a room and have someone else issue the award with the new policy? I forsee a decline in HH activity in the coupon connection.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 9:57 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by SuperSnoop
So, how can you reserve a room and have someone else issue the award with the new policy?
Give them the certificate number that has been issued in your name from another member's account.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:31 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
not a problem

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Give them the certificate number that has been issued in your name from another member's account.
i called and made a reservation today and told them i have another cert from my friend account which i will hand over at checkin.

reservation was made without being asked for the reward cert number

dp
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:39 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Major bummer....

Now this affects me big time. I use this feature all of the time.

Currently, I have a 10 night award for Cabo Hilton next February, an an AMEX for four nights in AMS Hilton and they took out the 168,000 for the eight night stretcher for the BUD Hilton, but they haven't taken out the points for the 10 nights @ Cabo or the 125k AMEX award.

I take advantage of this all of the time. This will affect me negatively mostly because I won't be able to take advantage of airfare specials. I have had very good luck with the Diamond Force on awards, but they have never been last minute.

Bummer....big bummer.

Dawn
Old Aug 16, 2007, 8:20 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Originally Posted by tfmpa
count me in that group. Just got gold and I was about to book a 5 night stay for next May but only have 3.5 nights worth of points. Trying to decide whether I should go ahead and reserve the 3 nights now, or wait and see.
Grab the 3 nights now! Or better yet, try to grab all 5 by doing what Derpelikan says in Post #18 !
BTW, what category is your hotel? As a Gold, UR eligible to use a GLON2 award to get 6 nights for 150K (the normal price of 4.3 Cat. V or 5.0 Cat. IV nights! )
Old Aug 16, 2007, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA MM; UA-S; HH-D; Marriott-LTP
Maybe I'm not getting the big picture here as I['m so used to this being standard practice for airlines (o.k., not that that makes it any more palatable).

I don't really have a problem with the hotel chain requiring the amount of points necessary to acquire a reward at the time of booking.

It seems to me that it would prevent people from holding rooms that may otherwise be difficult to obtain. That is to say, perhaps the person who has enough points decides to try to reserve a room but can not because occupancy is reserved for a reward that may or may not be obtainable by someone who doesn't have enough points accumulated in the long run.

Sure, it stinks for us, but its' a no brainer for the hotel.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 3:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by derpelikan
i called and made a reservation today and told them i have another cert from my friend account which i will hand over at checkin.

reservation was made without being asked for the reward cert number

dp
I have been doing this for years .... whether the points or certs are there or not. (If you don't like an answer when doing this, there's the old "thank you, I'll get back to you" method.)
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:37 am

Programs: DL,HH Gold,SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Omni SG
Originally Posted by Brendan
Grab the 3 nights now! Or better yet, try to grab all 5 by doing what Derpelikan says in Post #18 !
BTW, what category is your hotel? As a Gold, UR eligible to use a GLON2 award to get 6 nights for 150K (the normal price of 4.3 Cat. V or 5.0 Cat. IV nights! )
It's Paris, and it doesn't look like either the Arc de Triomphe or the Eiffel Tower properties participate in the GLONP2. I think I will grab what I can, see if I can't get all 5.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:10 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Originally Posted by tfmpa
It's Paris, and it doesn't look like either the Arc de Triomphe or the Eiffel Tower properties participate in the GLONP2. I think I will grab what I can, see if I can't get all 5.
Tfmpa, both of those hotels are Cat. 6, requiring a GLONP2 @ 175K. They do participate, but A. U must phone HHonors to get that rate (doesn't show online ) & B. The trick is finding 6 consecutive available nights!
Even if U forfeit the 6th night, 175K < 200K & U already have 140K, so UR closer than U think!
If U actually need only 5 nights, book 6, then offer someone a freebie when U check out & they check in in a random act of kindness!
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:15 am

Programs: DL,HH Gold,SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Omni SG
Tfmpa, both of those hotels are Cat. 6, requiring a GLONP2 @ 175K. They do participate, but A. U must phone HHonors to get that rate (doesn't show online ) & B. The trick is finding 6 consecutive available nights!
Even if U forfeit the 6th night, 175K < 200K & U already have 140K, so UR closer than U think!
If U actually need only 5 nights, book 6, then offer someone a freebie when U check out & they check in in a random act of kindness!
thanks for the tip. I checked online. I'm looking at next May, so maybe I'll get lucky.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
While I currently have enough points in my account I can forsee a time when I might be short but would have them by the time I booked, so for me this is a bummer.

I have used this benefit w/ Marriott. Right now I'm holding an award ressie for my annual birthday trip to London in Feb. I'm currently short of the points required, but will definitely have them by the time the trip comes. If I had to wait until I had them all, then I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be going to London because the properties there book quickly for award stays (especially given the exchange rate).

Cheers.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:34 pm

Programs: ICH plat RA,HH Dia
Originally Posted by kailuabeach
I just found out today from two different phone calls that effective a few days ago, Hilton Honors has changed their reward policy. You can no longer reserve award nights without first having the all the points necessary in your account. In the past you were able to reserve an award without all of the points and as long as you accumulated them by the time you needed the award you were fine. This was always a great benefit and one that caused me to go out of my way to stay at Hilton Hotels. I expressed my dissapointment that Diamond VIPS such as myself were not notified and they replied they are just telling customers when they call in. Their guest assistance people didn't know anything about it. To register a complaint in writing they gave the following address:

755 Crossover Lane
Memphis Tennessee 38117
this was especially useful with those difficult properties in europe wher you had to book so far in advance to get any decent dates
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:57 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
well

Originally Posted by bello
this was especially useful with those difficult properties in europe wher you had to book so far in advance to get any decent dates
they should offer this as diamond only benefit.

that would be good.

anyway, i have 500K HH sitting in my account so i dont worry

cheers dp
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:58 pm

Programs: United Gold; HHonors Diamond
Tfmpa, both of those hotels are Cat. 6, requiring a GLONP2 @ 175K. They do participate, but A. U must phone HHonors to get that rate (doesn't show online )
This used to be true, but no longer. If you're logged in, there's now a way to reserve these awards online. I don't have it in front of me right at the moment, but I DID reserve the ALON2 award online about 3 weeks ago...
Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:47 pm

yep

Originally Posted by hellmutt
This used to be true, but no longer. If you're logged in, there's now a way to reserve these awards online. I don't have it in front of me right at the moment, but I DID reserve the ALON2 award online about 3 weeks ago...
you can book these online now.

under rewards, VIP only rewards.

up to 14days.. 350K points.

cheers dp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.