Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Budapest, Hungary {HUN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Budapest, Hungary {HUN}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2005, 2:36 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
I wrote a nice thread on this in Aug/Sept... too bad the search function isn't working... I'll try to get back to some of your answers again later...
Old Apr 6, 2005, 2:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I just stayed at Hilton Budapest (in Buda not Westend which is in Pest) - enjoyed my stay. Will dig up some links.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 2:49 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
I wrote a nice thread on this in Aug/Sept... too bad the search function isn't working... I'll try to get back to some of your answers again later...
The missing search feature is making life on FT miserable lately
Sure hope it returns soon

Thanks for your concern on my questions !!
Old Apr 6, 2005, 2:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Some recent threads in Hilton forum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...light=Budapest

Also my trip report (post #25 for Budapest)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413562
Old Apr 6, 2005, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm also considering a trip to Budapest, since I found Hilton has a special; three days plus city tour and so on. 70,000 points. I seem to recall they treat elites (especially Diamonds) very well.

The place is a Cat 3 property.

Check the Europe forum; there's at least one thread there on Budapest.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:46 pm

Both Hiltons in Budapest are great, and they both gave excellent treatment to me as a diamond. The Hilton Budapest offers magnificent views from castle hill on the Buda side of the Danube, has a decent exec. lounge, free airport shuttle (this perk alone will save you a good chunk of change as the airport is not very close) and fabulous service. The hotel was built into the remains of the 13th century monastary/church, some of which can be seen incorporated into the hotel structure. It is a cool design. The rooms were very nice; try to get a view of the Danube. The view on that side of the hotel is magnificent. I'm not sure if he is still there, but Mr. Horvath, the manager when I was there in Oct. 2002, provided us excellent service and was extremely helpful, offering loads of useful advice and recommendations of what to see/do, where to eat, etc.

The Hilton Westend Budapest is located adjacent to a mall and the train station, so it is a very convenient location for traveling by train/subway. Located on the Pest side of the Danube, it offers a good location for shopping and dining in Pest. The exec. lounge puts on an enormous spread of food in the evening, you could easily make a meal with all the goodies they offer. Service at this hotel was also excellent. The decor is more modern and the hotel has more of a business feel to it than the other Hilton. The rooms are very good here.

You can't go wrong with either hotel. Getting by without knowing how to speak hungarian is easy. Most people you will encounter in Budapest will speak some english. At the hotels, virtually everyone spoke english well. Budapest is a great destination and well worth a look-see. Be sure to make time to go to one of the famous baths/spas; they are excellent and quite a bargain. The wine and food in Hungary are delicious.

Last edited by hhonorman; Apr 6, 2005 at 8:48 pm
Old Apr 7, 2005, 8:28 am

Cool Great feedback all

My sincere thanks to all for their valuable feedback. ^
I was leaning toward the Inter-Continental where I am Platinum Ambassador or the SAS but from the threads here it sounds that Both Diamonds and Golds are being treated brilliantly.
I probably wouldn't being booking a Hilton without all this feedback.
Am presently Gold with Hilton :-: A former Diamond that been banished from the Diamond line as a result

Questions
How far are these two Hilton hotels apart? And which one is the preferred choice when walking and wanting to shop ,dine see local nightlife and such.
I like that the West End property is very modern and new and that the location is near trains.Views are nice but superior comfort and quiet is key when I travel to an International destination.I don't do all that well with the jet lag
Can I get a train back to Prauge from that station/and if so how long?
Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:14 am

Programs: UA and BA
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
How far are these two Hilton hotels apart? And which one is the preferred choice when walking and wanting to shop ,dine see local nightlife and such.
I like that the West End property is very modern and new and that the location is near trains.Views are nice but superior comfort and quiet is key when I travel to an International destination.I don't do all that well with the jet lag
I've stayed at West End and have been all over Budapest. I know exactly where the Buda property is but have not stayed there.

West End property will have not have room views -- but go to the gym on the top floor -- awesome open-air balcony! West End is in the business part of town, which was great for me because my company's office was in the adjacent mall building (BTW, the basement of this mall is a giant food court and grocery store -- I ate lunch there every single day of my stay -- try the "Western Grill" just at the bottom of the escalators. And incredible peoplewatching from that food court -- I had to drag myself back to work!).

West End also walkable to Parliament Building, the river, Heroes Plaza, etc. Rooms were totally silent; in fact upon my arrival the first time from San Francisco late at night and very jet-lagged I ended up sleeping until 4 p.m. the next day it was so silent!

Buda location is more cobblestone streets, quaint, historic area (but also lots of tour buses). I have walked and bussed all over the city, and ultimately have covered the ground between the two on foot but it's not exactly a few minutes, more like part of an overall walk all over town. Plus the Buda location is up on the hill, so you'd need to walk up it.

But Budapest is very easy to navigate because of the river running right through the city, with multiple bridges across it, and the fact that one side of the river is flat and the other a big hill. So you always have a visual frame of reference. Very tough to get lost.

You will love Budapest, one of my favorite cities in the world!
Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:24 am

Sounds Great

Originally Posted by SEA2BA
I've stayed at West End and have been all over Budapest. I know exactly where the Buda property is but have not stayed there.

West End property will have not have room views -- but go to the gym on the top floor -- awesome open-air balcony! West End is in the business part of town, which was great for me because my company's office was in the adjacent mall building (BTW, the basement of this mall is a giant food court and grocery store -- I ate lunch there every single day of my stay -- try the "Western Grill" just at the bottom of the escalators. And incredible peoplewatching from that food court -- I had to drag myself back to work!).

West End also walkable to Parliament Building, the river, Heroes Plaza, etc. Rooms were totally silent; in fact upon my arrival the first time from San Francisco late at night and very jet-lagged I ended up sleeping until 4 p.m. the next day it was so silent!

Buda location is more cobblestone streets, quaint, historic area (but also lots of tour buses). I have walked and bussed all over the city, and ultimately have covered the ground between the two on foot but it's not exactly a few minutes, more like part of an overall walk all over town. Plus the Buda location is up on the hill, so you'd need to walk up it.

But Budapest is very easy to navigate because of the river running right through the city, with multiple bridges across it, and the fact that one side of the river is flat and the other a big hill. So you always have a visual frame of reference. Very tough to get lost.

You will love Budapest, one of my favorite cities in the world!
Leaning toward the West End. Thanks for the inspiring words !
Old Apr 7, 2005, 1:33 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
I would consider the one in the Castle District.. the one in West End might be modern and all but the one on the Castle district is unique as it incorporated/built in a castle. The area is very touristy and the views are great... Executive lounge has free drinks and at nights you can wonder around and explore parts of the hotel/castle.. some parts are pretty creepy at night when no one is there but that's the fun of it...
Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:21 pm

[QUOTE=777 global mile hound]My sincere thanks to all for their valuable feedback. ^
I was leaning toward the Inter-Continental where I am Platinum Ambassador or the SAS but from the threads here it sounds that Both Diamonds and Golds are being treated brilliantly.
I probably wouldn't being booking a Hilton without all this feedback.
Am presently Gold with Hilton :-: A former Diamond that been banished from the Diamond line as a result
QUOTE]

Just got back from Budapest last week.

I stayed at the Inter-Continental as a Gold Ambassador and they treated me very good. There's a above street tram stop right outside Inter-Continental plus subway access close as well. Plus the Inter-Continental is in the heart of downtown while the Hilton West End is a bit farther out.

Just my $.02
Old Apr 8, 2005, 2:47 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Leaning toward the West End. Thanks for the inspiring words !
777 The other Hilton has much more charm and the hotel manager will walk you to your room and arrange all your tours.I showed him a posting from another flyertalker who had the same treatment and he was quite tickled. There is a great old wine cellar in the basement of this hotel in the old monestary tunnels and they have fabulous wine tastings everynight.Down the hill from the hotel are the old Hotel Gelson baths well worth a cheap cab ride.Tour outside of Budapest and go to the wineries for a good day trip with a private car and driver.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 4:00 pm

Thank you for your feedback

Originally Posted by martinplas
777 The other Hilton has much more charm and the hotel manager will walk you to your room and arrange all your tours.I showed him a posting from another flyertalker who had the same treatment and he was quite tickled. There is a great old wine cellar in the basement of this hotel in the old monestary tunnels and they have fabulous wine tastings everynight.Down the hill from the hotel are the old Hotel Gelson baths well worth a cheap cab ride.Tour outside of Budapest and go to the wineries for a good day trip with a private car and driver.
To be honest all the wonderful reports here with the service and kindness sound spectacular but the West End property looks cleaner,newer, more attractive and comfortable.Not to mention less expensive.

Off hand that is the most compelling reason to give up the views and otherwise impressive in house treatment as much as I would like to share your similar exceptional experiences
I'm not a fan of what appears to be hard old beds with dated decor and bedspreads.
I must say that one of Hiltons biggest disadvantages has always been very poor visual images in places on their website of their guest rooms and properties.
And at present it is not doing the property much justice
Though they must obviously have a brilliant team in house.

Poor imagery or none at all cost Marriott much of my business over the years
It is interesting to note that Marriott has taken an aggressive approach at fixing this problem on their site as of late.The site looks good
It is a much better selling tool as a result.

If you can assist or tell me some other redeeming quality about the guest room product itself I would happily consider staying with your kind suggestion.
I too am passionate about good service and I have certainly compromised at times on room standards when a hotel had risen above and beyond with service
On International journeys comfort ,a great bed,stong shower and a room that is clean and a quiet take first priority everything else is then second including location which can sometimes be tied.I'm hard to please
I am still considering going for broke and paying for the Four Seasons
If they had the HH prgram I would
Any positives about the room and condition fire away
My gratitude for your kind concern.
That is one of the great things I appreciate about the FT community

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 8, 2005 at 4:02 pm
Old Apr 8, 2005, 8:43 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Well 777 neither of these Hiltons is like the ADT in Paris or anywhere near a Four Seasons. The Buda Hilton is better looking at night than in the daytime and more than a little worn. However my entire impression of both Budapest and Prague was just that,old ,raped communist countries coming out of a cacoon.I did stay at the 4 seasons in Prague and it was spectacular. The Hilton in Budapest does have some character and to me that made up for the old worn look. It is part of a old monestary,and the lounge has fantastic views of the river and the old monestary.Our room looked over an old Church that was lit up beautifully at night and made a romantic view for the two of us.This is not a buisness Hotel ,but they do have a buisness center and high speed internet in the center
To be honest all the wonderful reports here with the service and kindness sound spectacular but the West End property looks cleaner,newer, more attractive and comfortable.Not to mention less expensive.

Off hand that is the most compelling reason to give up the views and otherwise impressive in house treatment as much as I would like to share your similar exceptional experiences
I'm not a fan of what appears to be hard old beds with dated decor and bedspreads.
I must say that one of Hiltons biggest disadvantages has always been very poor visual images in places on their website of their guest rooms and properties.
And at present it is not doing the property much justice
Though they must obviously have a brilliant team in house.

Poor imagery or none at all cost Marriott much of my business over the years
It is interesting to note that Marriott has taken an aggressive approach at fixing this problem on their site as of late.The site looks good
It is a much better selling tool as a result.

If you can assist or tell me some other redeeming quality about the guest room product itself I would happily consider staying with your kind suggestion.
I too am passionate about good service and I have certainly compromised at times on room standards when a hotel had risen above and beyond with service
On International journeys comfort ,a great bed,stong shower and a room that is clean and a quiet take first priority everything else is then second including location which can sometimes be tied.I'm hard to please
I am still considering going for broke and paying for the Four Seasons
If they had the HH prgram I would
Any positives about the room and condition fire away
My gratitude for your kind concern.
That is one of the great things I appreciate about the FT community
Old Apr 8, 2005, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA and BA
Originally Posted by martinplas
Down the hill from the hotel are the old Hotel Gelson baths
Not to be the grammar police here, but it is the Gellert Baths in the Gellert Hotel.

Grammar aside, I second martinplas and would say a visit to the baths is absolutely in the "Top 3" things you MUST do in Budapest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.