Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Athens {GRC}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by sard
Actually I am NOT familiar with that policy.
I have never seen that sign before, and I see people taking food to go all the time. (especially at breakfast)
In fact a lot of the lounges even have takeaway containers that you can use.
I have seen "take away" containers for coffee in the morning (i.e. paper cups). But apart from that the rule in all the lounges I have used both here and outside the US is eat or consume in the lounge. You don't expect Hilton to condone guests loading up on food and beverage and hauling it off. I personally would applaud a "lounge dragon" who enforces the rule. I'm not talking about the .50 cent bottle of water here. I have seen guests haul off half a dozen bottles of beer and snacks. The lounge is not your personal larder to be raided. If it is treated that way don't complain when the offerings diminish or at the extreme the lounge benefit be eliminated all together, as it already has in many US Hiltons.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:09 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
IME, this is indeed very common in Club Lounges (Marriott, Starwood, Hilton) in Europe.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by JONEZY00
If it is treated that way don't complain when the offerings diminish or at the extreme the lounge benefit be eliminated all together, as it already has in many US Hiltons.
+1.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by sard
Actually I am NOT familiar with that policy.
I have never seen that sign before, and I see people taking food to go all the time. (especially at breakfast)
In fact a lot of the lounges even have takeaway containers that you can use.
Actually I've seen it in nearly every EL I've been to. They usually don't say anything if you take a can of soda. But anything more, yes. I do agree w/the policy. Many times I've come into the El and found things to be stripped. Can't imagine what it would look like if they allowed people to carry food out.

I've seen people really load up dishes (usually 2 or 3) and attempt to walk out with them. Thankfully they were stopped. What's appalling is frequently these people argue with the attendants! Just plain rude!

I've NEVER seen takeaway containers! The EL is not a carry out shop!
Old Dec 6, 2009, 11:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I´ve seen similar signage at nearly every hotel and airport lounge I´ve been in also. Just finished a stay at the Berlin Hilton, and there was a sign near the entry with nearly identical verbiage.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 6:21 pm

I'll have to pay more attention next time.

I've never noticed the signs so I never knew it was an issue (taking food out)

As for the takeaway containers, Im not saying they are right out in the open.
But I've been in a few lounges where I've asked the clerk if they had containers (so I can take breakfast to work) and they always pulled out those styrofoam containers for me to use.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
At the Hilton Dubai Jumeirah, no food or drink out of the lounge is strictly enforced. For that matter, the one time I went to one of their refrigerators to grab a can of Bitter Lemon to drink, the staff practically demanded to take the can from me and serve it in a glass! OTOH, Hilton ATL Airport never seems to mind taking cans of soda back to the room.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 5:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Agreed. As others have said, some of us have witnessed numbers of (usually children "under supervision" removing provisions, and for one, I'd not be interested in seeing someone bring in their durian or "old" kimchi for consumption to a lounge.

If we can't spend the time in the lounge to consume what we are getting, maybe it's time to visit a convenience store. Seriously, some properties are more flexible, but most I'm aware of do not allow guests to remove drinks and food.

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I like both rules. I hate the idea of people taking out drinks and food to feed their full hockey team not staying on executive floor and I hate the idea of people taking in smelly pizzas to avoid having to pay extra for their drinks. You would not take you smelly pizza bought outside to a restaurant, so why should you do it in a lounge?
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:32 pm

I don't mind this rule at all as I think it ensures that the executive lounge feature remains at properties and is not such a drain that hotels instead choose to not offer them. I have seen a couple of exceptions--paper cups/lids provide for coffee to be taken from the lounge (much appreciated) and a (non-Hilton) Disney concierge lounge actually encouraging lounge patrons to take water to have for use in the parks.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:55 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
A few days ago when checking in at the Hilton Budapest they gave me a letter with the lounge opening hours, facilities,... and it mentioned "please do not take food out of the lounge".
One night, on my way back to the room I grabbed a banana and asked the staff if it was OK to take it, and the lady said "of course, no problem".
I imagine that if you take plates full of food + drinks, it is very different but for 1/2 soda I am surprised they said anything.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 5:33 am

Programs: EY-Gold LH-SEN AA-Gold HHonors-Gold National-ES
I also like the rule as it keeps the lounges reasonably stocked. I've experienced food/drink shortages when I come in on the back end of the services.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a general rule at pretty much every chain that I know of that has executive lounges, Hilton's, Sheratons, Hyatts, etc. Enforcement is another matter, and even at lounges where they enforce strictly, if I have asked no one has ever objected to my son taking his drink with him back to the room. I also know of some lounges that do not care so much if you grab a breakfast item or two to take with you, but will be incredibly strict with night time food(s).
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello FTers,

Actually I think the "no outside food allowed" makes sense. Let's suppose I buy something at McDonalds..... Well, I have a choice to eat it at McDonalds, I have a choice to eat outside of McDonalds, I have a choice to eat in my room.

Whereas staff has gone through a lot of trouble to order the food, cook the food, prepare the food, present the food, have the necessary plates and utensils ready for the clients to enjoy the food....and the club lounge would be the only "restaurant" for the clients to enjoy this food.

Can you imagine if you walked into the club lounge ready for breakfast and the lounge is full of people with their McBreakfasts! Take it outside, people!

So.... I think the "no outside food" allowed makes sense.

Your opinions may vary.

David
Old Dec 20, 2009, 5:15 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I like both rules. I hate the idea of people taking out drinks and food to feed their full hockey team not staying on executive floor and I hate the idea of people taking in smelly pizzas to avoid having to pay extra for their drinks. You would not take you smelly pizza bought outside to a restaurant, so why should you do it in a lounge?
Could not agree more, nicely said.
Now I wish those rules, especially the first one, were firmly enforced!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Wow,

I learn new things every day. I pretty much always hit the lounge upon arrival - grab 2 diet cokes and once in a while a snack (chips?) and head straight to my room - to relax and unwind for a minute or two...

I've seen the signs...just never thought they applied to anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Keep the faith,

Pakse

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.