Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Athens {GRC}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by david55
Will close in January for almost 2 years.

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/20...C6n4E.facebook
I’ll call it now…

It will take 4 years for them to build this complex. History tells us so

Last edited by buckeye91; Jan 12, 2022 at 4:40 am
Old Jan 11, 2022, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by buckeye91
I’ll call it now…

It will take 4 years for them to build this complex. History tell us so
It's Greece. History is on its side.

David
IAN-UK likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: QF P, HH D
I have a stay booked at this property for June, the Hilton website says the following:

Hotel Leaving the Hilton Brand
Please note that as of midnight on January 31, 2022, Hilton Athens will cease to operate as a Hilton hotel.

Is the hotel closing entirely or just changing operators while its under renovation to become a Conrad?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by banana0692
I have a stay booked at this property for June, the Hilton website says the following:
Is the hotel closing entirely or just changing operators while its under renovation to become a Conrad?
The article which I posted above makes it sound like they are closing for at least 2 years as of the end of this month. I'd be looking elsewhere.
banana0692 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:40 pm

The article which I posted above makes it sound like they are closing for at least 2 years as of the end of this month. I'd be looking elsewhere.
Ok thanks, I booked a non refundable room. I'll give Hilton a call for a refund.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 3:32 am

This is unbelievable, I booked a suite and another room for this summer.

What properties are comparable in Athens, especially if they have an outdoor pool?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Divani Caravel is right around the corner and is also a 5 star hotel

I’ve stayed at Syntagma recently at 2 Marriott properties: King George and Grand Bretagne. Beautiful properties. Marriott just opened the Academia property a year or so ago.

I’m not aware of any other Hilton property in Athens
Old Jan 14, 2022, 6:10 am

The Hilton pool is a classic. No other Athens hotels have a pool like that. My vote is for the Grande Bretagne. They have a roof top pool and great location. You might also look at the Electra palace. They too have a rooftop pool that overlooks the Acropolis and is quite popular.
janehoya likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:49 am

The Hilton pool is a classic. No other Athens hotels have a pool like that. My vote is for the Grande Bretagne. They have a roof top pool and great location. You might also look at the Electra palace. They too have a rooftop pool that overlooks the Acropolis and is quite popular.
What we liked was we had a pool and our rooms had a balcony, and it was reasonably priced. (It didn't hurt we could use a ton of hilton points.) Do any GB rooms have a balcony? If the club/lounge was open that would have been another bonus. Finally the location was decent enough because there was transportation within a block that took us into the city. Any hotel check all those boxes?

EDIT: We gave up and booked the GB. We can't get a guaranteed balcony on either of our rooms but I guess we are just going to hope, I put it in the room requests. The rooms are also smaller but the location is better so it is what it is.

Last edited by miadeals; Jan 15, 2022 at 2:42 pm
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:57 am

I was having a think about this hotel closing. So after my previous post I received an email from the hotel advising it is closing and they cancelled my stay. After thinking about this for a couple weeks, does this count as a walk? Should they be finding me another hotel?
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:14 am

I was having a think about this hotel closing. So after my previous post I received an email from the hotel advising it is closing and they cancelled my stay. After thinking about this for a couple weeks, does this count as a walk? Should they be finding me another hotel?
If it was me...I be doing my own search and not rely on the Hilton to choose my Athens hotel. Are you thinking a " walk" would get you a free night?
banana0692 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:52 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Morally yes, legally probably not and in any case would likely necessitate you suing the owners in Greece.

​​​​​
banana0692 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, its probably a civil code system, in which case you could sue for your additional costs in finding a new hotel. The Greek Civil Code is probably not hard to follow. If you were based in the EU you could use the Small Claims system.

They're spending 130 million EUR on refurbishing the hotel, and with Covid they will have had very few forward bookings. You'd think they could afford to cover any differences in your accommodation costs .
banana0692 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 6:16 pm

If it was me...I be doing my own search and not rely on the Hilton to choose my Athens hotel. Are you thinking a " walk" would get you a free night?
Originally Posted by :D!
Morally yes, legally probably not and in any case would likely necessitate you suing the owners in Greece.​​​​​
Originally Posted by hugolover
Well, its probably a civil code system, in which case you could sue for your additional costs in finding a new hotel. The Greek Civil Code is probably not hard to follow. If you were based in the EU you could use the Small Claims system.

They're spending 130 million EUR on refurbishing the hotel, and with Covid they will have had very few forward bookings. You'd think they could afford to cover any differences in your accommodation costs .
Ok it sounds like too much hassle. I'll just source my own replacement. Thanks guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.