Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Athens {GRC}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess would be that perhaps there is another Hilton in the works, and that this makes room for it.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by hfly
My guess would be that perhaps there is another Hilton in the works, and that this makes room for it.
Athens is not big enough for two or more Hiltons?

David
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Hilton Athens, Hilton Istanbul and Rome Hilton Cavalieri are in some ways unique hotels, they were built at a time when such hotels did not exist, and were such a "get" for these countries that they were able to have incredible footprints size and location wise (and often still enjoy a prestige in their countries that is a curiosity for those not from those countries), that is something that is either impossible to acquire today either because of cost or simply lack of well located land.......................so it has been a thing for years that the current owners of these properties have from time to time been looking to either convert them into something else, or seek other uses for their land as well as being a Hotel. DeLEE, with that in mind, who knows what deal there is in ATH, in Istanbul there had been a deal for years that there could only be ONE Hilton (as opposed to more modern agreements that allow for more in a city), which is why despite there being dozens of Hilton properties in Istanbul they have played semantics with the names of all other properties in Istanbul forever, "Hiltonsa", etc.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hfly
The Hilton Athens, Hilton Istanbul and Rome Hilton Cavalieri are in some ways unique hotels, they were built at a time when such hotels did not exist, and were such a "get" for these countries that they were able to have incredible footprints size and location wise (and often still enjoy a prestige in their countries that is a curiosity for those not from those countries), that is something that is either impossible to acquire today either because of cost or simply lack of well located land.......................so it has been a thing for years that the current owners of these properties have from time to time been looking to either convert them into something else, or seek other uses for their land as well as being a Hotel. DeLEE, with that in mind, who knows what deal there is in ATH, in Istanbul there had been a deal for years that there could only be ONE Hilton (as opposed to more modern agreements that allow for more in a city), which is why despite there being dozens of Hilton properties in Istanbul they have played semantics with the names of all other properties in Istanbul forever, "Hiltonsa", etc.
OK - then we'll see how things shake out on the named "Hilton" hotel front in Athens these next few years.

David
Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:53 am

There's a great book on those first Hiltons built overseas in the 50s and early 60s:

Amazon Amazon

Sadly, it looks like it's gotten pretty expensive.

They were built as cultural showpieces. Huge American architectural firms worked with local firms to create massive modern hotels with air conditioning and pools that served American food. They were landmarks in each city: Istanbul, Athens, Rome, Berlin, etc.

Conrad Hilton was very politically motivated. They were intentionally all built in cities where there was some question as to whether they might go Communist, or where they were right on the edge of the Iron Curtain, to show off the economic power of the US. If I remember right, the US government put sizable amounts into some of them too.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 6:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by James Luckard
They were built as cultural showpieces. Huge American architectural firms worked with local firms to create massive modern hotels with air conditioning and pools that served American food. They were landmarks in each city: Istanbul, Athens, Rome, Berlin, etc.

I lived in Athens for a year in 1977 ( college junior year abroad) and I remember occasionally going down to the Hilton for an " American" hamburger.....being one of the only places in town to serve something like that.
janehoya and James Luckard like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
Woof. Hope they keep their lounge.

David
I stayed at this property in August. Have stayed there every year since 2006 so have gotten to know many of the managers, etc. It's my favorite Hilton property in the world. I'm a lifetime Diamond member. Have 100% received a suite upgrade facing the Acropolis each time. The lounge is fantastic with complimentary beer, wine and food for 2 hours each eventing (used to have mixed drinks, ouzo, etc. but that ended I believe). A little secret I figured out several years ago for breakfast is you can go downstairs and have their wonderful full buffet complimentary v the small spread in the lounge each am. Miss Sophie downstairs makes the best tiropita, spanakopita and bougatsa! The Galaxy Bar is an iconic rooftop bar facing the Acropolis. Service here has always been exceptional and the rooms clean. This property recevied a lot of convention business prior to COVID.

With all the great things said above, it is showing its age in the rooms, hallways and lobby. There is major construction going on now in the pool area. One of the managers did tell me I probably would not be able to stay there until 2024 if I come back next year.

I really like this location. We like exploring non-tourist areas (of course we have been to Athens more than 10 times so being close to the Plaka is not as important to us). Kolonaki is right across the street. We don't mind the walk to Syntagma just exploring.

Looking forward to see what the Conrad will be

Last edited by buckeye91; Dec 19, 2021 at 3:53 pm
Old Dec 19, 2021, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by buckeye91
I stayed at this property in August. Have stayed there every year since 2006 so have gotten to know many of the managers, etc. It's my favorite Hilton property in the world. I'm a lifetime Diamond member. Have 100% received a suite upgrade facing the Acropolis each time. The lounge is fantastic with complimentary beer, wine and food for 2 hours each eventing (used to have mixed drinks, ouzo, etc. but that ended I believe). A little secret I figured out several years ago for breakfast is you can go downstairs and have their wonderful full buffet complimentary v the small spread in the lounge each am. Miss Sophie downstairs makes the best tiropita, spanakopita and bougatsa! The Galaxy Bar is an iconic rooftop bar facing the Acropolis. Servie here has always been exceptional and the rooms clean. This property recevied a lot of convention business prior to COVID.

With all the great things said above, it is showing its age in the rooms, hallways and lobby. There is major construction going on now in the pool area. One of the managers did tell me I probably would not be able to stay there until 2024 if I come back next year.

I really like this location. We like exploring non-tourist areas (of course we have been to Athens more than 10 times so being close to the Plaka is not as important to us). Kolonaki is right across the street. We don't mind the walk to Syntagma just exploring.

Nice story.... thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at this property in August. Have stayed there every year since 2006 so have gotten to know many of the managers, etc. It's my favorite Hilton property in the world. I'm a lifetime Diamond member. Have 100% received a suite upgrade facing the Acropolis each time. The lounge is fantastic with complimentary beer, wine and food for 2 hours each eventing (used to have mixed drinks, ouzo, etc. but that ended I believe). A little secret I figured out several years ago for breakfast is you can go downstairs and have their wonderful full buffet complimentary v the small spread in the lounge each am. Miss Sophie downstairs makes the best tiropita, spanakopita and bougatsa! The Galaxy Bar is an iconic rooftop bar facing the Acropolis. Servie here has always been exceptional and the rooms clean. This property recevied a lot of convention business prior to COVID.

Your experiences mirror what my colleague (since passed) and his wife enjoyed on their stays there. He remarked that, even with the City of Athens at their feet, his wife wanted to stay at the hotel and enjoy all of its services. And their stay was on points.

Also, after their return to the U.S., she told him of her desire to go back to the hotel.

David
Old Dec 19, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
Your experiences mirror what my colleague (since passed) and his wife enjoyed on their stays there. He remarked that, even with the City of Athens at their feet, his wife wanted to stay at the hotel and enjoy all of its services. And their stay was on points.

Also, after their return to the U.S., she told him of her desire to go back to the hotel.

David
The points redemption has always been fair. This year is was 50k/night for a standard room. As I mentioned previously, we are 100% upgraded to an Acropolis facing suite, I believe the Olive Suite. So, we always stay for 5 nights minimum which means we get one night free making it a very nice redemption.

Rack rates where I stay generally are in the 150/e per night range.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 2:41 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
The points redemption has always been fair.
Used to be 20k or 25k back in the day which was phenomenal. Now, fair is about right...
Old Dec 21, 2021, 1:19 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I really wonder where the prices will go when the reconstruction and rebranding is done, I guess it will go somewhere between 350€ - 450€ and therefore out of my budget.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 1:28 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Probably lower in October and March which are the times I would prefer to go to Greece anyway.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 2:04 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Wonder if they will let me charge a purchase of one of them residences on my Amex Aspire card lol

https://www.ekathimerini.com/economy...hilton-athens/
Old Jan 11, 2022, 2:57 pm

Update.

Will close in January for almost 2 years.

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/20...C6n4E.facebook

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.