Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Batang Ai Longhouse Resort, Managed by Hilton {MYS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Batang Ai Longhouse Resort, Managed by Hilton {MYS}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mapu
Hi, we will be in Borneo in August and think of going to Batang Ai for a few nights. We were wondering how much the activities cost? Someone in this thread mentions MYR360 for a longhouse visit by boat. What about the nature hikes, kayaks, etc.? Thanks!
You can find out more than you ever wanted to know about Batang Ai in my recent trip report. In one of the photos, you will find a listing all of activities, accompanied by their respective rates. Click on the photo for a closer look.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:02 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
360rm is outrageous for a longhouse visit unless it is for 5 or 6 people. If you are in Kuching just take a 1/2 day tour by van to one of the local ones.

I told LarryU that a visit to Batang Ai is not worth it. He, I believe, now agrees with my assessment.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
my wife & i are thinking of staying at the batang ai for a couple of days next month....does anyone have any recent experiences????also, how much does the transfer cost from hilton kuching to batang ai????
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
This property isn't in search results. Maybe no longer a Hilton?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:09 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
seems it still is

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...ilton/index.do

other than this, I have said what I have to say.

use the telephone.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by boxo
This property isn't in search results. Maybe no longer a Hilton?
it shows up on search results when i check....see link below....

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...XODQCSGBJF3MQQ
Old Feb 27, 2010, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

have 3 nights booked here in a couple months time....would be great to get some info from someone who has stayed here recently....
Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by saad
have 3 nights booked here in a couple months time....would be great to get some info from someone who has stayed here recently....
My trip report from a little less than two years ago is here.

If this is not recent enough, please note that I had a chat with the general manager of the Hilton Kuching, which oversees Batang Ai, a few weeks ago and I can assure you that nothing has changed at all. It still amazes me that the Hilton Kuching is such a pleasant and well run property and Batang Ai is so profoundly substandard in every possible way.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryU
My trip report from a little less than two years ago is here.

If this is not recent enough, please note that I had a chat with the general manager of the Hilton Kuching, which oversees Batang Ai, a few weeks ago and I can assure you that nothing has changed at all. It still amazes me that the Hilton Kuching is such a pleasant and well run property and Batang Ai is so profoundly substandard in every possible way.
i read your report earlier....i was just hoping things would have changed over the last couple of years....
Old Feb 27, 2010, 6:37 pm

i read your report earlier....i was just hoping things would have changed over the last couple of years....
The same management team oversees this hotel and the same resident manager, Jonathon, still lives there and mismanages the property. I presume that all of the wildlife in the surrounding jungle and lake have still been eaten.

Based on my very recent conversation with the manager at the Hilton Kuching, I am unaware of any changes that have been implemented other than the fact that original name, the "Hilton Batang Ai Longhouse Resort" has been changed to the "Batang Ai Longhouse Resort, Managed by Hilton." I forgot to ask the manager whether or not they have learned to deploy sealed water bottles or still continue to refill used water bottles for consumption by guests.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:35 pm
Suspended

I forgot to ask the manager whether or not they have learned to deploy sealed water bottles or still continue to refill used water bottles for consumption by guests.
I hope you are just kidding

Unlike Thailand and Indonesia, bottled water in Malaysia is not sealed with a layer of plastic wrap. But then I am sure you are already aware of that
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by mario33
I hope you are just kidding

Unlike Thailand and Indonesia, bottled water in Malaysia is not sealed with a layer of plastic wrap. But then I am sure you are already aware of that
I'm not kidding. It was one of many service failures that I experienced during my two night stay at this property, all of which were encountered in gory detail in the referenced trip report. The only positive side of the whole experience was that the corn flavored ice cream was not as bad as I thought it would me.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this is not good....a few friends of mine went there a very long time ago & they are now heading back this summer....my wife & i were thinking of joining them....now i have second thoughts....
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:19 pm

this is not good....a few friends of mine went there a very long time ago & they are now heading back this summer....my wife & i were thinking of joining them....now i have second thoughts....
I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. The setting is certainly quite nice so if you are looking to just hang out by the pool and relax for a bit, then you won't be disappointed. Its just that its quite a long schlep to get there and back so there are many easier and closer ways to accomplish this.

This property has always had its issues but once upon a time their daily room rates were quite low so that could be used to offset the poor service and inconvenience. But now, the prices are not all that great and you need to add in the additional cost of transportation and the fact that you will be a captive audience to their restaurant once you get there.

On the topic of transportation, if you have been quoted a price for transport, be sure to print out the quote and bring it with you. The cost of the service changes at their whim, even multiple times within the same day. And even once I arrived at the property, they still attempted to overcharge me. Even my printout could not dissuade them so I was left to sit in the lobby for well over an hour as instructions and queries were faxed back and forth to their puppetmaster in Kuching.

They would not even honor my Diamond award booking and Hilton HHonors certificate, evidently never having seen one before! So they made up some astronomical daily rate on the spot as I was once more left to stew in the lobby as the fax machine was put back into heavy use.

For a fee, the property does offer a range of activities in which you could participate and my trip report contains a photo of the sign so you can get a sense of what's available. But if you opt for a little fishing, I suspect that your best chances of being successful is to sneak out to the floating hatchery on the other side of the island. For something like a longhouse overnight or day trip, their are more convenient venues available just using Kuching as a base.

Even if you opt to venture to Batang Ai, it is not common knowledge that you are not obliged to book some of these additional activities through the hotel. Travel agents can probably book the very same venues and at somewhat lower cost.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. The setting is certainly quite nice so if you are looking to just hang out by the pool and relax for a bit, then you won't be disappointed. Its just that its quite a long schlep to get there and back so there are many easier and closer ways to accomplish this.
i think the fact that there will be 8 of us may make things easier....we are just looking to relax....can you let me know what the easier & closer ways are????thanks....

This property has always had its issues but once upon a time their daily room rates were quite low so that could be used to offset the poor service and inconvenience. But now, the prices are not all that great and you need to add in the additional cost of transportation and the fact that you will be a captive audience to their restaurant once you get there.
i'm using points for my room so the rate won't be an issue....i don't mind eating at their restaurant as long as the food is decent....

On the topic of transportation, if you have been quoted a price for transport, be sure to print out the quote and bring it with you. The cost of the service changes at their whim, even multiple times within the same day. And even once I arrived at the property, they still attempted to overcharge me. Even my printout could not dissuade them so I was left to sit in the lobby for well over an hour as instructions and queries were faxed back and forth to their puppetmaster in Kuching.
will make sure i do that....infact, we will probably end up reserving the entire shuttle van....

They would not even honor my Diamond award booking and Hilton HHonors certificate, evidently never having seen one before! So they made up some astronomical daily rate on the spot as I was once more left to stew in the lobby as the fax machine was put back into heavy use.
i guess i can safely say they know what an award booking is now because of your stay....i'll try my best to get the hilton in kuching to call them the morning before i leave....

For a fee, the property does offer a range of activities in which you could participate and my trip report contains a photo of the sign so you can get a sense of what's available. But if you opt for a little fishing, I suspect that your best chances of being successful is to sneak out to the floating hatchery on the other side of the island. For something like a longhouse overnight or day trip, their are more convenient venues available just using Kuching as a base.
i'm not sure how many activities we would be interested in....fishing does sound good & i'll keep that in mind....

Even if you opt to venture to Batang Ai, it is not common knowledge that you are not obliged to book some of these additional activities through the hotel. Travel agents can probably book the very same venues and at somewhat lower cost.
will also get in touch with the travel agents before i leave for the property....thanks for all the tips....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.