Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Batang Ai Longhouse Resort, Managed by Hilton {MYS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Batang Ai Longhouse Resort, Managed by Hilton {MYS}

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2004, 8:12 am

I stayed at this property in early February this year. IMHO, not worth the 4 hour drive- to be fair, there certainly is a fairly extensive range of activities available, and the surrounding area is beautiful, but I found the drive very tiring (and a little hairy as the driver almost nodded off several times! His numerous apologies about feeling tired did not make me feel any better) and the accomodation itself was fine, but nothing spectacular.
I was disappointed with the woefully inadequate aircon (I'd rather they just had fans - at least then I wouldn't expect to be comfortable) and found the staff so abrupt and unhelpful regarding numerous small problems that we eventually stayed only one of our planned 2 night stay.
Respect, however, to the General Mananger, whose name escapes me now, but who delivered a large fruit basket, chocolates, wine and flowers to our room after my discussion with him about the problems. He also insisted on refunding the cost of the one night that we did stay, and virtually begged me to stay another complementary night. I had, however, had enough by then, so politely refused his offer.
So, I can't really offer any advice as to whether to stay at this property; perhaps we were simply unlucky with all the problems we had (and there were too many to mention) but I certainly would not stay there again.
Old May 20, 2004, 9:01 am
Suspended

I did a "mini-report" on this property on another thread last month but I dont know how to provide a link here.

Food was reasonably priced for a 4 star resort, and the quality varied depending on what you ordered. Breakfast was decent and complimentary for Gold members.

The air-conditioning for the rooms were individual "split" units and not the centralised type found in most hotels. These units worked very well for my suite .

Fortunately I did not have a driver who was nodding-off while driving, but the air-conditioning in the van did malfunction for a short while on the way to the resort. The driver also made a stop mid-way during the journey for those who needed to use the washroom or have a drink, and I took the opportunity to stock-up on snacks and drinks for my stay.
Old May 26, 2004, 11:42 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Stayed There Last November

Pleasant.....upgraded to a two-level suite, meant to resemble a traditional wood longhouse, luxury style. Activities: 1) demo'd the silent jungle weapon, a blowpipe with (fake) poison dart. 2) Took a short walk to a viewpoint with guide: crossed swinging bridge, passed warrior grave, viewed jungle foliage. 3) took longboat upstream for an hour to a pepper- and rice-growing, and fishing longhouse community. Spent a bit of time in their communal longhouse, viewed many daily activities such as basketmaking, washing, etc. They weren't too enthusiastic, maybe because I was on my own, or too many tourists and language barrier (they speak Iban, not even Malay). 4) Read books in the extensive anthropological library. 5) Hung around the pool, the most popular option. Other guests were largely Malaysian Chinese, with a sprinkling of foreigners.

Downsides: 1) the property is on a reservoir with a somewhat unsightly "bathtub ring" and drowned snags puncturing the water surface. 2) it is a long way from Kuching. The drive up was fairly interesting, but the return dragged on (though a torrential downpour added interest).
Old Oct 1, 2004, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Food....

What is the food like? I'm hoping it's all local (at least like west Malaysian style) food. Looking at a March '05 stay.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by terenz
What is the food like? I'm hoping it's all local (at least like west Malaysian style) food. Looking at a March '05 stay.
Terenz, there's plenty of Malaysian food. For dinner in 11/03, I believe I had something like fish wrapped in banana leaf. Plenty of accompaniments and spices. I recall it being good. The buffet breakfast didn't match the quality of urban Malaysian hotels (but that's a high standard to meet). Also, the staff was somewhat lethargic and maybe depressed, since business at that "resort" on a reservoir has probably never been high since 9/11 at least.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Food

Originally Posted by terenz
The "Udang Galah" was excellent if you like huge prawns ^ .

It was so good, I made sure that I had it again before leaving the resort and I almost missed my boat !
Old Jun 7, 2005, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Gold
I am thinking about checking out the Hilton Kuching and more importantly, the Hilton Batang Ai.

Any updates on the air conditioning and the road and driver? Is the famous tour guide still there?

I'll be over in that part of the world for a little over two weeks - for a wedding at each end of the trip (in KL and in Penang). I'm not sure if I should just extend my time in KL and Singapore or devote some time to Kuching and Batang Ai. It would be a hurried trip - fly from KUL to Kuching by noon, hang out there for the afternoon and evening. Next morning go to Batang Ai and perhaps spend two nights and then take the ride back to Kuching and fly out that night to Singapore. So this trip to Kuching/Batang Ai involves a few extra trips to the airport, etc. I guess for work i'm used to pointless non stop travel, so at least this would be "exotic, fun" travel.

This itineary would still afford 4+ full days in Singapore and 4+ full days in KL - though one day is for a wedding, and about 3+ days in Penang (including another wedding). From KL I thought I could use one of those days to check out Malacca.

If I didn't go to Kuching/etc. I could perhaps go to Taman Negara and Cameron Highlands (and even Genting Highlands?) I do like cities but hey, Sarawak sounds like good memories.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 8, 2005, 1:01 am
Suspended

If you have limitted time, forget about Batang Ai but do consider Kuching which is quite a pleasant town (oopps I mean city ) and I am sure you will be able to take a day trip to some national parks.

Also, Genting Highlands will only appeal to locals/tourists from neighbouring countries who are not so "well-travelled" . Unless you happen to fall under this category or if you want to gamble, I wont suggest you go there either.

Last edited by mario33; Jun 8, 2005 at 1:04 am
Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:13 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
The hilton kuching is great especially if you have status with honours.If not book an executive floor room so you have lounge access.It is worth it.There is a lot to do in kuching.An early morning trip to the orangutangs at semengok is worthwhile.We were told that from april to august is the best time to visit.A day trip to the sarawak cultural village at damai is worthwhile,then a day exploring kuching.They have a free tram that goes around kuching every hour for visitors.A trip on the kuching river and if there on the weekend then a trip to the sunday market which begins on saturday is interesting.
Batang ai is only worthwhile if you really love the jungle.However from now to august is the second wet season of the year for the rainforest.It is cheap for the room but you have no choice in food so you quickly make up for the low room rate.Also if you want to go to the national park it is a 2 hour longboat ride at a cost of 360 ringgits per boat.It was also a 4 hour ride in a bumpy minivan to the lake and 5 hours back.Mrs drron was not impressed.
I can also reccomend the hilton kuala lumpur again if you have status with honours.If not again book an executive floor room so you have access to a very good lounge.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 6:43 am

Thanks!!

While I am more a fan of the city than the jungle, it does sound worthwhile to check out a jungle and perhaps see some wild animals.

I'm torn between spending a few days in the Taman Negara National Park (at the Mutiara Taman Negara Resort) - they have a 3 day/2 night package.

As an aside, yes, I am a Hilton Diamond. People do seem to like Kuching! Though I wonder if the reason I'm even considering Kuching is because of the Hilton! If there was a Hilton in the Taman Negara National Park I'd probably already have booked a stay!

Ok, I'm leaning toward just staying 3 nights in Kuching with a day trip to a park. I guess I can wait until I get to KL to see if I want to fly out earlier or later in the day to Kuching. - And from Kuching I can figure out if I want to fly earlier or later in the day to Singapore.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 6:56 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
There are not many wild animals near batang ai unless you count the british tour group,just joking.So a visit to the other national park would be better.
The hilton kuching isnt the best hotel in the world but for the price you pay it is great.
As a diamond the treatment there was all that I could ask for.Having just been married I think you would get a few brownie points staying there.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 7:22 am

Programs: Plat QFF, Gold AA, Silverseas Venetian.
Batang Ai - This Hilton needs a major refurb

We spent 3 nights at the Hilton Batang Ai in May 05. 1. expect a 4 hour bumpy ride in the mini van from the Kuching Hilton to the boat to the "resort" 2. The Batang Ai Hilton foyer sets the tone for your stay - the place is dark, the furniture is in need of repair, and the covers are dirty and torn. 3. The pool area has only 5 sun lounges - they are plastic and all are broken, if you sit on them you think you are going to end up on the tiles ! 4. The "longhouse" layout of the rooms, means that you do not get a water view ( and you are on an island surrounded by water in the jungle !!) 5. The AC is noisy, but with the heat you can not turn it off or you will melt. 6. There are limited walking paths in the resort - so you can not go for a walk around the island the resort is on. 7. The menu does not change - it is fairly limited, there is a buffet at night with a different theme each day, but it is not posted ahead of time, so if you have satays for lunch and then that night it is a "satay" night ... do you feel like having the same thing twice in one day ??
I wish we had spent an extra day in Kuching, and 2 extra days in KL !!!
Old Jun 8, 2005, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kuching and Sarawak in general are great. Forget about Malacca, much like the highlands, its more exciting for local people and is a dumpy town.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paladin
While I am more a fan of the city than the jungle, it does sound worthwhile to check out a jungle and perhaps see some wild animals.
You have a better chance of seeing wild animals at The Datai in Langkawi than at Hilton Batang Ai, and is highly recommended if your budget permits.

I have not been to Mutiara Taman Negara Resort but you should not expect too much with the Mutiara brand. The owners of the Mutiara group have more or less given up managing the hotels and have engaged the IC group to manage both the KUL and PEN properties; and they are trying to sell off Mutiara Taman Negara Resort and Hilton Batang Ai (same owner).
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:22 am

OK! Based on the collective wisdom of the flyertalk hilton gang, I will pass on Batang Ai.

Rojaan: Thanks for the very recent report on the Hilton Batang Ai condition.

Perhaps I will just spend a few days in Kuching with a day trip out to the jungle. I assume I will be able to hire a driver for a day, etc. Any ideas on about how much?

A week ago I never knew the existence of Kuching and now I want to spend some time there - just because there is a Hilton!!! I should just fly to BKK and hang out.

Any ideas if a day trip from KL to Taman Negara is possible? I just feel a need to spend some time in a jungle (roasting in the heat, getting bit by bugs, and perhaps losing some blood to leeches).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.