Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Then I'm fine with this. Don't want to reach into my pocket for my "complimentary" Diamond breakfast, and if you want to buy something healthier, you can, but you aren't forced into it.

Of course it will probably change again before we get there!

But this one at least makes more sense than breakfast at night or room service only!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Then I'm fine with this. Don't want to reach into my pocket for my "complimentary" Diamond breakfast, and if you want to buy something healthier, you can, but you aren't forced into it.

Of course it will probably change again before we get there!

But this one at least makes more sense than breakfast at night or room service only!
Obviously, the correct thing for the hotel to do is allow you to apply the value of the continental breakfast to anything else you want on the menu, but at least this new policy seems to satisfy the Honors breakfast rules. Is this new breakfast option even on the menu?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Obviously, the correct thing for the hotel to do is allow you to apply the value of the continental breakfast to anything else you want on the menu, but at least this new policy seems to satisfy the Honors breakfast rules. Is this new breakfast option even on the menu?
Yes It is listed as a continental breakfast for $19 on the menu.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:37 am

Now that I actually have five posts, I can post the picture of it.

Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
That looks very nice, thank you.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steve30000

Yes It is listed as a continental breakfast for $19 on the menu.
So you can't apply the $19 to something else on the breakfast menu?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I would not show up with 4 people when my reservation said 1 (or 2). What if all they have is one King bed? Cozy vacation?
Well it’s me, my mom, and my 4 yo and 6yo - we can easily fit in a king size bed. But I understand the king rooms also have a pull out couch.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:30 pm

combine free diamond breakfast with free kids dining?

Does anyone know if you could combine the free continental breakfast with the free dining for kids under 5 somehow? It will be two adults, two kids (4 & 6). If the two adults get the free breakfasts, could my one child under 5 dine free or would we need to at least buy one breakfast? Could that be a kids breakfast? Do they have a kids breakfast menu? Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
The new continental breakfast.

We are here now. As others have posted they do offer the continental breakfast which is a nice alternative and matches the spirit of the benefit. We actually didn’t mind paying $20pp to upgrade to the buffet.

One disappontment was we had thought about having the Sunday brunch and applying the credit but that is now not an option. So we will just have breakfast with the credit instead.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
So you can't apply the $19 to something else on the breakfast menu?
No. You can either get the free continental breakfast or upgrade to the full buffet for $20. You can't apply the $19 towards other menu items.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
Originally Posted by Ladybugmama
Does anyone know if you could combine the free continental breakfast with the free dining for kids under 5 somehow? It will be two adults, two kids (4 & 6). If the two adults get the free breakfasts, could my one child under 5 dine free or would we need to at least buy one breakfast? Could that be a kids breakfast? Do they have a kids breakfast menu? Thanks!
here now with family. Kids are 5 & 3 and they both got free full breakfast buffet. Wife got continental breakfast and I passed since I’m intermittent fasting and don’t eat breakfast (just had black coffee)

Our server was awesome as she even packed up my continental breakfast in a to go box without us even asking. She said since I also get a free continental knowing I don’t eat breakfast she wanted kids to have a little bite when they exhausted their energy from pool activities Both kids enjoyed the full buffet.

when you check it at the restaurant they will ask you how many and how old your kids are and they write their ages in the bill for the server.

hope this helps!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by A651346

here now with family. Kids are 5 & 3 and they both got free full breakfast buffet. Wife got continental breakfast and I passed since I’m intermittent fasting and don’t eat breakfast (just had black coffee)

Our server was awesome as she even packed up my continental breakfast in a to go box without us even asking. She said since I also get a free continental knowing I don’t eat breakfast she wanted kids to have a little bite when they exhausted their energy from pool activities Both kids enjoyed the full buffet.

when you check it at the restaurant they will ask you how many and how old your kids are and they write their ages in the bill for the server.

hope this helps!
Do you happen to know what the age cutoff is for kids for the free buffet?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
Originally Posted by gvaughn
Do you happen to know what the age cutoff is for kids for the free buffet?
children 5 and under gets free full breakfast buffet
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by A651346

children 5 and under gets free full breakfast buffet
Thanks for the info!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:45 pm

Currently at the GW on a five night point stay, thoughts and experiences below:

- the resort upgraded us to a Napua Club suite for no extra charge, which based on what I’ve read seems to be extremely fortunate. I did ask about paid upgrades and this is where they put us before we arrived.

- check in was a little disorganized. A few wrong turns based on staff instructions were quickly sorted out. The front desk person was very pleasant. I asked for a map and which way the elevator was, and she pointed us the wrong way. She didn’t describe the breakfast benefit, but that was probably because of the Napua benefits. Bags arrived quickly, and despite the missteps we were happy with the service.

- our room is fantastic. We’re really lucky to have received the upgrade. Amazing view of the pacific, resort grounds and we are directly above the Napua lounge.

- Napua benefits have been far better than expected based on what I’ve read here. The breakfast this morning had hot food (eggs, bacon, sausage, banana pancakes), fruit, pasteries, bread, cheese, etc. Basically everything you get at the full buffet minus the omelette station. The afternoon and evening options are nice as well, borderline replaceable for dinner even. I would definitely pay for the upgrade if necessary if we ever come back.

We’ve stayed at the Four Seasons Maui and Four Seasons Lanai (no kids in Lanai) in the past seven months. Both are more luxurious (especially the Four Seasons Lanai), but the kids are bouncing off the walls about the things to do and the pool. It’s really as good as they say, or even better. The pool area at the Maui Four Seasons is very lacking imo.

The staff has has been very good so far — not quite the level I expected but everyone has been pleasant. Calling the font desk to ask for a blanket for the pull out bed took 3 minutes (not a big deal but a bit odd), you do your own beach chair towel set up (also fine but strange for a five star hotel).

Generally I’d say that this resort has most of the things I’m looking for in a family vacation without some of the more elite level service touches you’ll find at the Four Seasons. But I’d choose this place over either of those two for this particular trip.

The last point I’ll make is regarding the size of this place - I was expecting a lot more people. The resort is either full of very close to it and we haven’t ever really felt like we are in a crowded place. This isn’t the ultra luxury seclusion thing but it’s not nearly as crazy here as I expected. The resort layout really helps in this respect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.