Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 4:59 pm

Programs: Amex Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by lewishogs
Thanks so much for the input JRA2000TL. I would personally much prefer Seaside, but we are taking our daughter & son-in-law and their one year old and I think they would prefer the resort. We are going in early May and have reserved two "king executive partial beachview" rooms strictly based on price (cheapest). Do you know how partial "partial beachview" is? Do you think we would be likely to get a diamond upgrade, or is it worth paying for a better room (not going to blame you if we end up in the basement, just want to hear more about your experiences)? There are so many different room choices at widely varying prices - I'd hate to pay an additional $75 per night for 6 nights for a slightly better view and the same size room.
I've had the king executive partial view rooms before and they aren't bad. You're in the smaller 7 story "spa tower" and the rooms are decent (but more like average rooms). You get a balcony that usually overlooks the pools and the beach (BUT they do have rooms on the opposite side of the hall with balconies and partial views of the beach w/o the poolview--I suggest not get one of those rooms--I never have thank goodness).

If you are HH Diamond you can request the emerald tower (taller building with the Jr. Suites). Until they renovated these, I stayed in the executive rooms since the suites were in poor condition; however, since they've been renovated, I always ask for this tower. You get a small room in front that has a small LCD tv and 2 bunk beds for kids. Mid-way down the long hallway is a sink area outside the bathroom; then you have the actual bathroom with sink, tub, and toilet. At the end of the hall is the main room with 1 king or 2 double beds, a sofa bed and coffee table, and a work desk. You also have a sliding door with a balcony. I find that the premier views are the higher floors with room #s ending in 21-27. This gives you both a beach view and a pool view (so you can see what's all going on down below at the resort). The rooms on the other side offer the beach view and a view of neighboring condos.

I have wound up with good rooms with the excepton of one time. They put me in a 2nd floor accessible room with a poor view. It had the roll-in shower so water got all over the floor. I hated it and complained. I've stayed at this place at least a half a dozen times and only got one really bad room. I always call at least once or twice (on the day of arrival) to make sure I get a good room. They pre-block diamonds anyway. I'd call the DD and have them put in the notes that you'd like a full beachview upgrade in the executive rooms or a beachview & poolview room in the emerald tower.

This time of year, there are alot of vacationing families that do their once a year thing; so I'm sure there aren't tons of gold and diamond members like a business hotel has. (Of course, a number of the road warrior folks have families with kids that they like to treat to resorts once in awhile too).

I've had good success with this hotel. It's a beautiful place. Be prepared to wait forever for the elevators.....and realize the place is going to feel/sound like you're in a daycare center this time of year.
Old May 11, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold SPG Gold Hyatt Diamond Marriott Gold
Having a Great Stay

I am at the Sandestin Hilton right now and it is the perfect place for our family. The employees have all been helpful and friendly and the room and pool are great. As diamond, received an upgrade from a partial view room to a great full view 4th floor room with a nice balcony. The beach is beautiful and the food in the restaurants is even good. We spent a week at the Hilton in Cancun last summer and I much prefer Sandestin. As stated above, the place is filled with families and not a good choice for a romantic, quiet vacation, but awesome for any age kids. Nice turn down service, nice free continental breakfast, 2 bottles of free water a day. Everything has exceeded our expectations.
Old May 11, 2009, 7:28 pm

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
We've stayed at the Sandestin Hilton and the Sandestin Resort off and on for 18 years. The last time we went (2008) they played music at the pool non stop between 9 am and 12 midnight. If you have an inside court room, even on the highest floor, you will listen to inane music for most of the day. So, if you have an image of listening to the waves and seeing the beach, be prepared. The management at this hotel seems unresponsive. If I had a complaint about this hotel, it has to get to the Hilton Honors desk to get resolved. If you've never been to the Destin area, be prepared for busy traffic.
Old May 12, 2009, 7:06 am

Programs: HH Gold SPG Gold Hyatt Diamond Marriott Gold
The only music this week is in the restaurant on the beach (recorded track), you can faintly hear it by the pool closest to the restaurant, but it is not loud. Maybe it will get cranked up in full summer, but not a problem now. We have found the hotel very responsive to requests - had a problem with the reservation (my mistake) and they were very friendly about the corrections. Maybe they have improved.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 10:58 am

Programs: OnePass Plat, HHonors Gold, etc.
Upgrades for Gold in October

My wife, young son, and I are planning to stay at the Sandestin for ~5 days this October. I am trying to determine if I should use points or just book (rates seem lower in October than what the points are "worth"). Can anyone advise on what type of Upgrade I could expect or ask for as a HHonors Gold in October. I may make it to Diamond by then, but most likely, it will be after that trip. Many thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: UA, AA, HH, MR
Sandestin

OwlExec,

Here are a few things I'd consider: do you go to Europe for vacation? If so, my experience has been HH rooms are more expensive than in the US, and thus a better use of points. How many points do you have, and are you looking to use them in the near future or when the right opportunity arises?

I just pulled up the property's site and it's 40,000 points/night. I'll be there at the end of Sept and last night I think I saw $180/night advance purchase, and maybe $195/night otherwise. Depending on your finances (if you budget for vacations, etc), I'd almost suggest paying and using points at a more expensive property.

I'm actually in a similar situation...after leaving Sandestin I'm using 2 days vacation for a long weekend in Berlin...rates are similar, trying to decide if I should use points (I prefer using points when faced with a $300+/night rate) or pay the rate...rates are within 10% of Sandestin.

EDIT: either in this thread or another (I've found 2 threads on this property) someone comments on the typical guest profile...lots of families and some conventions. No lounge.

Last edited by tex1899; Aug 2, 2009 at 11:58 am Reason: additional comment
Old Oct 11, 2009, 1:24 pm

Thanksgiving ...

Will be at this property for ten (10) days surrounding Thanksgiving.

Anyone been there in this timeframe? Overrun with kids? Do the restaurants
offer anything special for the holiday?
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:16 pm

Location: Oklahoma City, OK - NWA Gold - AA Gold - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Gold
Programs: NW, CO, WN, HH
My wife is 6 months pregnant. We were unable to book what's becoming an annual anniversary cruise due to her being too far into her term. Given that she's a teacher and given that spring break (starting today) is probably the last time we'll be able to leave the city until after the baby arrives, we're wanting to make one last non-parental roadie. We figured we could traverse from Oklahoma down to the Florida panhandle in a day and a half. We're pretty sold hitting up Pensacola/Destin. Given that there are 2 Hilton properties in that area, and given the reviews I'm reading about each one, we were hoping to hear from somebody who's stayed at both properties or who can help suggest which property would be good for a couple's last getaway (and a second anniversary) if we chose between the Sandestin and the Hilton Pensacola Beach Gulf Front (which we think they're not far from one another). I'm still categorized by them as a diamond member and we'd love to use points.

It's nice to see all the reviews on all the hotels we've chosen over the years. It'll be interesting to be off the road after 8 years of travel and this may be the last place we hang for a little while. We hope to make it good.

Thanks again, in advance.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Recent Reviews of the Hilton Sandestin?

Hello all, considering using my Free Night Certs at this hotel in September. Was wondering if anyone had stayed there recently. I searched but most of the info I found was over a year old.
Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ort-spa-5.html

It's fair to ask for contributions in an established thread.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 9:50 am

Bumping to see if there is someone with a response to your question. I'm wondering the same thing.....Hilton Pensacola or Hilton Sandestin?

Anyone?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by lexie
Bumping to see if there is someone with a response to your question. I'm wondering the same thing.....Hilton Pensacola or Hilton Sandestin?

Anyone?
I stay at both properties quite frequently. Both properties are very good to HHonors Diamond folks. The Hilton Pensacola has better rooms to get upgraded to; however, you will most likely end up in at least a Junior Suite at both hotels. The PNS Hilton has rooms with multiple (2 & 3) bedrooms that are massive.

Right now is Spring Break time so if you're looking for an "adult's retreat", the Sandestin Hilton may be better because the minimum check-in age is 25.

Both have great positions on the beach and great service.

I usually wind up at the Hilton Sandestin but have been doing all I can to switch to the Hilton Pensacola Beach for the majority of my stays.

One other note... The Hilton Pensacola seems a bit less "commercialized" and friendlier.

Good luck and please let us know what you decide!

Last edited by LedgeT; Mar 29, 2011 at 5:11 pm
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:38 am

Any new information on this hotel, I'll be starting a 3 night stay this weekend.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hensleyrob
Any new information on this hotel, I'll be starting a 3 night stay this weekend.
It's a great property; I was there in early June. Any specific questions?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
Does anyone out there really spend 148,119 points for a night in a 1 KING BED DELUXE JUNIOR SUITE BEACHFRONT? 148,119 points?!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.