Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport {JPN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2004, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Hello! I have not but I've read many a post from people who have and everyone seems to love it!
Maybe do a forum search-I'm sure you'll find those posts and more.
Happy flying,tattikat2
Old Apr 3, 2004, 4:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Hilton Narita - recommended!

A search will reveal many of us have used the Hilton Narita (though it may not be as easy until FT comes together again.)

The hotel is easily reachable by free shuttle bus (get the direct bus, as some go to another hotel as well.) Rooms are small, typical in Japan, but comfortable and usable. There is a cafe / restaurant, a pub, a gym, and more, plus free shuttles into Narita town.

Best, for HHonors people looking for a most reasonably priced stay, it "costs" 10,000 HHonors points! As a Diamond, I also received coupons for brakfast, which are actually good for the entire hot / cold buffet, even with my C101 certificate. ^
Old Apr 3, 2004, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132254
Old Apr 6, 2004, 8:45 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Ditto to what JDiver said. Stayed here last weekend on the return end of a trip to Guam. Just added a little note that I was an Hhonors Gold when I made my C101 award reservation, and when I arrived, my room on the top floor was ready and waiting, and check-in was prompt and professional. ^
Old Apr 6, 2004, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Thumbs up Hilton Narita is a Nice Place

I've stayed at the Hilton Narita a few times as an HHonors Gold. I've also stayed at other places in the Narita area and consider this my favorite.

As a Gold, they've always upgraded my room... and they've always offered complimentary full breakfast buffet. The free shuttle service to/from the airport and train station also make visiting the area easy and inexpensive.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I stayed at the Holiday Inn Narita last Friday. It cost a whole Y7,700 (49 / $90 inc tax) for a deluxe room in the west wing, booked on pre-paid advance rate. They gave me a deluxe executive which was 38 square metres - huge for Tokyo. Normal deluxe rooms are 25sq m according to the chart they gave me! Furnishings are nothing special, very plasticy, but it did the job.

One benefit of the Hilton, looking at the bus timetable, is that they have 3 buses / hr in the evenings whilst the HI only has 2. You therefore have more chance of hanging around with a HI booking. The HI is nearer the terminals, however.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 5:06 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
I'd give it a ^ up... had no problems when I stayed there... the buffet breakfast is great! and at 10K points it's a steal...
Old Apr 29, 2004, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Narita Airport Hilton Sub-Par

Granted I arrived at the property about 12:45 a.m. But I did have a reservation of long standing indicating Diamond, and I presented my Diamond card and reward certificate at check-in. Check in was uneventful; I got a breakfast coupon.

When I got to the room, I saw no amenity or note from the General Manager. It wasn't a high floor. I was too tired to make a fuss before going to bed, but I did heat some noodles from the minibar, figuring I could get the front desk staff to waive this as Diamond.

Next morning, no dice. I was charged for the noodles. I asked whether Diamonds got an amenity, and was told they could take a couple bottles of spring water out of the minibar for free. No note in the room had indicated this, nor had front desk staff volunteered the information.

Further, at breakfast I asked nicely for more coffee, the waiter nodded, then proceeded to do other work. He never did come back.

Having spent two weeks in Japan, I couldn't believe this poor service. Everywhere else, staff had been incredibly graceful and Hyatts had always presented an in-room amenity and personalized note.

Is this standard of service at Narita (or Japan Hiltons generally) typical for Diamonds? And was this a slight violation of Hilton's Terms and Conditions?
Old Apr 29, 2004, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Unusual Experience

This sounds like an unusual experience. As a Gold, I've stayed there and enjoyed exceptional service --fast/efficient/kind service at the VIP check-in desk across from the main registration desk, great rooms on upper floors, and complete hot/cold breakfast buffet. They even throw in other nice things; on my last visit, they paid for all of my stamps for all of my mainland-bound postcards. I've stayed at other hotels in the Narita area and I've found this Hilton to be the best.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 5:27 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
This sounds like an unusual experience. As a Gold, I've stayed there and enjoyed exceptional service --fast/efficient/kind service at the VIP check-in desk across from the main registration desk, great rooms on upper floors, and complete hot/cold breakfast buffet.
Same here.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 8:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Explore
When I got to the room, I saw no amenity or note from the General Manager. It wasn't a high floor. I was too tired to make a fuss before going to bed, but I did heat some noodles from the minibar, figuring I could get the front desk staff to waive this as Diamond.
This is Japan. You must adhere to their custom and always be thankful for what you receive. A "Welcome Note" isn't a necessary custom, unless you pay the top $ in The Presidential Suite. All items inside have to be paid for and there is a slip there that indicates every item, including the noodles. The tea is complimentary and rather good. You can heat up water and buy the noodles for much less money in downtown Narita using their free shuttle that runs nearly all day on the half hour.

Next morning, no dice. I was charged for the noodles. I asked whether Diamonds got an amenity, and was told they could take a couple bottles of spring water out of the minibar for free. No note in the room had indicated this, nor had front desk staff volunteered the information.
As for the two (2) Evian waters, I agree there used to be a note stating it, but that plastic covering with the paper that indicated it has been removed. They are under no obligation to provide the water. Therefore, I myself do not take them and they are indicated to be paid for on the slip. Again, one can get a 2 liter bottle for 100yen in downtown Narita.

Further, at breakfast I asked nicely for more coffee, the waiter nodded, then proceeded to do other work. He never did come back.
The waiters and waitresses there are excellent and some quite young and cute. Just ask again politely and don't be rude at all. The waiter you had may have been asked for coffee at 5 seperate tables at the same time and just forgot. There are many people. I recall there are about 10 staff there roaming all over the place. Just ask another person. Each are equal. Word will get around and you'll get a refill.

Having spent two weeks in Japan, I couldn't believe this poor service. Everywhere else, staff had been incredibly graceful and Hyatts had always presented an in-room amenity and personalized note. Is this standard of service at Narita (or Japan Hiltons generally) typical for Diamonds? And was this a slight violation of Hilton's Terms and Conditions?
I never have trouble at ANY hotel I stay at in Japan and I stay at quite a lot at rock bottom prices. Never provided with any "in room welcome", etc. Never upgraded, but I'm always expressed additional welcome because they all know me from my billionth stay. I am the least of their worries and hassles and never complain. I help the staff for my own in-room mess. Hilton Narita did not violate any T&A according to your report, in my opinion.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 12:15 pm

I've stayed a couple of times this year, on awards (at C101, what a bargain!) no less, and have had nice experiences. Good rooms, good service (everyone acted like they could not do enough for us,) and the breakfast chits - theoreticaly good for a Continental breakfast - seem to actually be good for the whole enchilada (so to speak.) Obviously, YYMV.

Decent gym, as I recall, free shuttles to NRT and to town, as well.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 6:03 am

Hilton Narita and local ara update

Update... I am here again, this time on the 11th floor queen-bedded room, quite spacious - and the "Continental" coupons still work for the whole enchilada, er, well, the Asian-American-Continental breakfast. Views of a/c on approach - there goes a CI 747-400. Decent soundproofing, they go by stealthily - but the squalling child next door can be heard slightly through the closed connecting door. Exorbitant minibar prices - 530 for a beer, 370 soda, 320 cup of coffee, 210 snack bar, potato crisps or CupStar cup of noodles (Since it hit the market in 1975, CupStar has been a long seller product.) You CAN buy beers, juices etc. at the downstairs shop, and the minibar is the old-style - it has enough room to store things, and it will NOT register when you move something as a sale. The Yen is at 107 : $1.00 today. The room includes two cotton terrycloth robes, and two lightweight cotton yukata (which is what Japanese wear in summer) and plastic sandals.

The room has a comforter on the bed, and good a/c operated from a bed-sided console with no indications other than "cooler" and "warmer," a tiny TV (you can get CNN and BBC,) DSL Internet (installed cable) at 1,680 per 24-hour day, water warmer and o-cha (green tea,) lots of light. The bathroom is spacious, has a western toilet, a decent telephone shower with two brackets, and amenities include disposable razors and toothbrushes (but no moisturizer.) Tip: soaps are mo sukoshi - tiny, so if you like larger soaps - my Doubletree bath soap is about 4 times the volume of the hotel's, that's what I am using - bring one. I was also given a courtesy 15:00 checkout if I desired.

The free shuttle (mostly every thirty minutes) from the airport sometimes stops at the Excel hotel, very close to the Hilton. At Terminal 1, proceed to Bus Stop #14, and look at the chart there (column of hours on the 24-hour clock, and minutes, with hotels across...) At Terminal 2, catch it at Bus Stop #26. Weird side note: more busses from the airport than from the hotel, except for some early morning and late afternoon hours, possibly because they do cater to air crew ("Bridge" bar downstairs has special deals for crew, and you will see crew deals in town too.)

The bus shuttle to the Keisei Narita Station actually stops in front of the Sumitomo Seimei Building on the side of City Hall. Most of the time, the shuttle runs every 30 minutes. There are little shuttle (for both airport and town) schedules available at the hotel and at the front desk.

If you want a map and brochure, you can get a decent one titled "NARITA" and "New Site of Discovery" at the Tourist Information booth at the airport (which is very helpful for all sorts of information. In fact, Destination Guides' Narita page says "The tourist information desks at Narita Airport are the places to head for maps, pamphlets and hotel bookings, if you're just arriving in the country. Make sure you also ask for the Narita Welcome Card, which comes with a useful information pack and offers discounts at a range of local tourist attractions, restaurants and accommodation. You can also get the card from the TIC in Tokyo and the Narita Tourist Pavilion (Tues-Sun: June-Sept 10am-6pm; Jan-May & Oct-Dec 9am-5pm), on Omotesando in Narita."

The tour of Naritasan Temple can be very nice, but if it's summer and sunny (it was today - I am amazed it isn't raining, as it should be at the peak of the rainy season!) take a hat or get crispy. Take the one-way (for vehicles) Omotesando avenue and wander up the shops (restaurants include the reasonable Kikuya across from the tourist pavilion and the Barge Inn UK-style pub - rumour has it owned by some VS employees - local foods and sake, souvenirs, etc. - some of them over 100 years old, and that's a venerable tourist trap.) You can get 120 soft drinks (and icy 230 beers) from vending machines as well. If you walk to the temple complex, walk the temples, catch a very interesting rite, wander through the lovely park, you will take perhaps three hours - less if you walk fast and don't stop to enjoy, more if you take it all in, including a meal in one of the restaurants. (Fewer shops are open weekdays, and it is less crowded.)

After a few minutes at the main temple, people began filtering in for a ceremony held several times a day; the Goma rite begins when a monk begins hitting a bell with a mallet, and a procession of monks walks up the main steps. The chief priest burns the "goma" sticks with people's wishes on it, with various other offerings. Another priest beats on a taiko drum, and of course there are chants. All are welcome (put your shoes in one of the plastic bags at the entry, so you can carry them with you - shoes are not permitted inside.)

Narita sightseeing spots and information

Naritasan Temple website link

Japan-Guide.com's guide to Naritasan

Narita City website guide to Naritasan

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 29, 2004 at 12:20 pm Reason: add / clean spelling up
Old Oct 6, 2004, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Hilton Narita mini report 10/06/2004 on C-101 being cheap

I will try and make this sweet since we have a number of reports on this property. Fact. The Hotel is a bargain using a C-101 (10,000 HHonors points). I looked at paying straight up and then by chance noted a post stated it was a bargain. Given Japan is a plus plus rate agreed. Plus plus being taxes plus 10% service. I called about three months ago to book the award stay. I actually issued the certificate out of my wife's HHonors account preserving my larger point balance. Let's not tell her that. I kept on checking the rate to see about paying since I am short on HHonors stays this ytd. The rate never fell. A couple weeks ago it went unavailable. So I had not great expectations of a upgrade when I arrived.

Upon exiting Terminal 2 at NRT (I was inbound from SFO on Japan Airlines. Same terminal All Nippon also uses. UA at Terminal 1) cross the street once. Look to your right and you will see sign stop post 26. The stop post is 14 for Terminal 1. My bus made a brief stop at the Excel and took less than 10 minutes. Yasuki a fellow FT sent me the schedule. Perhaps he can please make a link within this post. Thanks Yasuki.

I went to the check-in desk to register presenting my D card. I was directed to the HHonors check-in desk. It was busy so asked just to be checked in. It was necessary for the lady to collect my check-in packet from the HHonors desk. I had requested hight floor, king bed and non-smoke before arriving. I further asked for a view room of NRT. I was told this was not a option or available. Did not get a high degree of confidence in the response as I would think it would at least be a option but not available. I am only here for a stop over so ok. I look out onto I believe the Excel. I think the NRT side would be better.

The room is a decent size. The only other hotel I have frequented at NRT is the ANA. It is nothing compared to this. The Hotel looks to have been renovated and teams with airline crews. All of the standard amenities but nothing special to report. My room contains two robes. As a D I was given a pass for the fitness center and a coupon for continental breakfest. It has been reported within FT it will work for everything. Will report on this later when I have breakfest. The room does have a hardline connection for high speed internet. I went for that. 1680 yen which includes VAT. Not cheap. Otherwise I think 42 yen per minute. So I am there at 1680 anyways. I noted a room on the lobby level where you can use a pre-paid card and I think there were three Dell terminals. I was a little concerned at first since the service is provided by the same firm that does service for the Grand Hyatt Seoul. I got a virus off their network. All seems fine here.

You have a couple of options for things to do which I did not explore. One is the free shuttle to Narita town whick people go and see Naritasan Temple. The other is the 150 yen bus (one-way) which takes you to Aeon Narita Shopping Center. The front desk has a map of the center. That looked interesting and they have a Jusco. According to the schedule on 11 minutes or less each way. I opted to take it easy and stay put as I have another flight tomorrow.

Food. You are stuck. I usually try and stay at hotels in Japan connected to something so I can walk around. Not here. I checked the room "menu" and could not even find one for dinner. So I called down and asked about a burger or club sandwich. Around 2,000 yen plus plus. No thanks. Then I went exploring. The most conservative prices I found were at the brew pub specials which had a burger for considerably less. I tought smoke and not. After noting my limited options I opted for the "drug store" as many other wandering tourists. I got a large pineapple juice, sandwich, ice cream and Suntory bottled water for around $10 US. Now that's conservative.

I did use the bell stand to buy a box and send a package to my in-laws in Kyoto. Less than 1,500 yen total for the box and shipping. Billed to the room. You can also buy and use a KDDI card at the phones located in the Lobby. Go towards the parking structure. I have found the KDDI card to be the most cost efficient way to call abroad period.

In closing I recommend the Hotel for this type of short stay. I would take the 150 yen bus to the center next time opting not to eat here. There was a earthquake last night around 11:30 PM which messed up my sleep. The limited Japanese I could figure it was around 5 on the scale a centered nearby. I am reminded this is Japan. Regards
Old Oct 6, 2004, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
A clarification of three items. The menu for the room is atop the tv set. Thought it movie selections. That hotel I tought I was seeing is in fact my Hotel. The Hotel is curved shaped and you got it. The otherside of the curve. Breakfast coupon. Good no question on the full spread. Cooked to order eggs. Leaving. Regards from the NRT Hilton

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.