FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport {JPN}
View Single Post
Old Apr 30, 2004, 8:21 am
Cygnus X-1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Explore
When I got to the room, I saw no amenity or note from the General Manager. It wasn't a high floor. I was too tired to make a fuss before going to bed, but I did heat some noodles from the minibar, figuring I could get the front desk staff to waive this as Diamond.
This is Japan. You must adhere to their custom and always be thankful for what you receive. A "Welcome Note" isn't a necessary custom, unless you pay the top $ in The Presidential Suite. All items inside have to be paid for and there is a slip there that indicates every item, including the noodles. The tea is complimentary and rather good. You can heat up water and buy the noodles for much less money in downtown Narita using their free shuttle that runs nearly all day on the half hour.

Next morning, no dice. I was charged for the noodles. I asked whether Diamonds got an amenity, and was told they could take a couple bottles of spring water out of the minibar for free. No note in the room had indicated this, nor had front desk staff volunteered the information.
As for the two (2) Evian waters, I agree there used to be a note stating it, but that plastic covering with the paper that indicated it has been removed. They are under no obligation to provide the water. Therefore, I myself do not take them and they are indicated to be paid for on the slip. Again, one can get a 2 liter bottle for 100yen in downtown Narita.

Further, at breakfast I asked nicely for more coffee, the waiter nodded, then proceeded to do other work. He never did come back.
The waiters and waitresses there are excellent and some quite young and cute. Just ask again politely and don't be rude at all. The waiter you had may have been asked for coffee at 5 seperate tables at the same time and just forgot. There are many people. I recall there are about 10 staff there roaming all over the place. Just ask another person. Each are equal. Word will get around and you'll get a refill.

Having spent two weeks in Japan, I couldn't believe this poor service. Everywhere else, staff had been incredibly graceful and Hyatts had always presented an in-room amenity and personalized note. Is this standard of service at Narita (or Japan Hiltons generally) typical for Diamonds? And was this a slight violation of Hilton's Terms and Conditions?
I never have trouble at ANY hotel I stay at in Japan and I stay at quite a lot at rock bottom prices. Never provided with any "in room welcome", etc. Never upgraded, but I'm always expressed additional welcome because they all know me from my billionth stay. I am the least of their worries and hassles and never complain. I help the staff for my own in-room mess. Hilton Narita did not violate any T&A according to your report, in my opinion.