Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton York (UK) {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by navelfluff
When hotels get it right after getting it wrong...

I mentioned to reception here in York (calmly and almost casually) as I went out to dinner that my room didn't have any of the bottled water promised on my Diamond welcome letter.

I returned to my room a couple of hours later to find a ribbon/cellophane wrapped package containing two bottles of water, some potato crips, salted peanuts, a choccy bar and half a bottle of red wine. That's good service above and beyond what I would reasonably expect.

They've always been good here at doing this, although what you describe is what I've had most times I've stayed, see #49 and #59

Even when other Hilton's stopped the free drinks vouchers they continued, seems like they've reverted to small bottles of wine instead of drinks vouchers.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
I’m here Friday night, should arrive around lunchtime so hopefully get a chance to sightsee ( I love York ) as onstage at 9pm and the venue is close by......will report back!
Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by wizla
I’m here Friday night, should arrive around lunchtime so hopefully get a chance to sightsee ( I love York ) as onstage at 9pm and the venue is close by......will report back!
Arrived at 12-30pm, car given to valet and I’m ushered inside to reception where I’m checked in and I find my room is ready....bonus as check in is 4pm here.
The room is a king deluxe with tower view, no upgrade but I’m happy as the next step up is a suite and these have only double beds apparently.
It’s smallish, it’s okay, nothing great, everything appears to be in order except air con is ether very hot or very cold, it’s noisy too.....bathroom small but bath big.....shower is over bath.
Went for a wander around this very fine city and returned at 4-30pm......no spa here but there is a gym which I will use in the morning.
I noticed the bathrobes are missing so down to reception I go and I’m assured they will be sent up, 20mins later two robes appear from a very smiley concierge.
Going to have a couple of drinks in the bar tonight with crew before gig nearby crescent music venue, apparently the gin is very good!....... will report back!
DELee, :D! and delinquentwoody like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:27 am

Arrived at 12-30pm, car given to valet and I’m ushered inside to reception where I’m checked in and I find my room is ready....bonus as check in is 4pm here.
The room is a king deluxe with tower view, no upgrade but I’m happy as the next step up is a suite and these have only double beds apparently.
It’s smallish, it’s okay, nothing great, everything appears to be in order except air con is ether very hot or very cold, it’s noisy too.....bathroom small but bath big.....shower is over bath.
Went for a wander around this very fine city and returned at 4-30pm......no spa here but there is a gym which I will use in the morning.
I noticed the bathrobes are missing so down to reception I go and I’m assured they will be sent up, 20mins later two robes appear from a very smiley concierge.
Going to have a couple of drinks in the bar tonight with crew before gig nearby crescent music venue, apparently the gin is very good!....... will report back!
Had a drink in bar last night before leaving for gig , it was very quiet for a Friday night, gig was awesome, great crowd!...... got back at 1am , bar closed , hotel seemed almost deserted.
Slept well, bed is a uk super king size and very comfy , I won’t have time to use gym but have taken some photos and will upload when I get time.
Popped down just now to grab a coffee, breakfast looked nice, take away cups available but coffee not very hot........ will shower and go for breakfast shortly.........will report back!
:D! likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:03 am

Had a drink in bar last night before leaving for gig , it was very quiet for a Friday night, gig was awesome, great crowd!...... got back at 1am , bar closed , hotel seemed almost deserted.
Slept well, bed is a uk super king size and very comfy , I won’t have time to use gym but have taken some photos and will upload when I get time.
Popped down just now to grab a coffee, breakfast looked nice, take away cups available but coffee not very hot........ will shower and go for breakfast shortly.........will report back!
Shower ( over bath type with curtain ) was powerful and very good.

BREAKFAST - 9-10am...this was a somewhat unpleasant experience, nobody’s fault but it was very busy i was seated at a table right next to the hot food queue, this was like setting a table up and taking breakfast in the middle of Paddington train station during rush hour....... kids running by, people leaning on our table to look down the food carousel........ again no big deal just a little irritating...... food was good, I just had granola and some eggs on toast ( egg chef happy to cook from fresh ) ...... coffee from machine is not very hot.
Checked out at 10 - 20 am, this was done swiftly and my car was fetched by concierge promptly ( valet parking is £25 ) .

CONCLUSION - solid stay , couple of annoyance’s like no robes in room and the chaotic breakfast but no real complaints .
I did forget to mention there was some chocolate and crisps left in the room along with the diamond water too.
I think I actually prefer the doubletree here but the Hilton is so much easier for the convenience of valet parking and I like that plus it’s secure ........... I would happily stay again and probably will .

ROOM NO - 327 (king Hilton Deluxe with tower view)

NEXT PLANNED STAY - Hilton tower bridge ( 28/2/20 )
Winniesbestfriend likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Stayed here last week and just a few thoughts. I think this going to come over as a bit critical which is a shame as up front I should say that the hotel has done a lot to make things safe in the current circumstance, including all the staff wearing face masks at all times. The staff were also really friendly.

As others have said the hotel is fairly tired in particular some of the carpets and furniture.

I booked the lowest category room and was offered as a diamond a one category upgrade to a double deluxe which felt a little stingy (while fulfilling the policy). In the event I opted to take a very good promotional offer for a suite on the app which cleared straight away. The suite while tired was a really good size. As others have said though they only have a regular size double bed.

Check in was on the app and I went straight to the room. I was back to reception later to discuss housekeeping and breakfast and they advised me to book a time for the latter. I had to prompt for the bottled water but this was quickly sent up. There were no other status benefits, maybe a sign of the times.

Breakfast was fairly disappointing. I have posted about the DT Cambridge Belfry which I think got this right. On sitting down we were offered coffee, juice and bread for toast. From looking at what other people had their also seemed to be pastries available. Hot options (bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, beans, hash browns) were from the buffet but a member of staff served you rather than serving yourself. Toast you made yourself using a machine. The toast making was less hygienic than it should have been. Juice was from a buffet chiller and apples were out to take from a basket.

While this breakfast setup worked and the staff were friendly, it wasn’t brilliant for social distancing and it felt a lot more like a school canteen than a full service Hilton. This wasn’t helped by the sausage being some of the cheapest tasting I’ve ever had in a hotel. I think table service would be much better but as minimum the hotel should provide disposable menus so guest can actually know what there is to order in addition to the hot options. This would make it easier for staff as they spent a lot of time running back and forth as people remembered things they should have ordered earlier.

The gym was open but was limited to one guest at a time

For anyone wanting to avoid the valet parking charge and the high charges in the council car park immediately opposite, St George’s Field car park is a five minute walk and charges £13 a day.

Unless I needed the space of a suite again I think I will probably save myself some money and booked the Hampton next time which is a bit of a shame as they have worked hard on the COVID elements, but it’s not offering a lot as a full Hilton or for status
Old Mar 17, 2024, 5:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
It’s quite a while since anybody has posted any recent experiences here.

Potential one night stay here on a Friday in the next couple of weeks and wondering what parking options are nowadays.

Would be arriving mid afternoon and needing to leave city centre around 17:00 and come back around 22:00

Haven’t used the “valet parking” option here, but wondering whether it permits exit and re-entry, I recall it’s space limited and understand it’s now £25 a night.

Previously I’ve used the (public?) car park out front, although a long time ago, back then I used good old fashioned coins.
Presumably it would now be available on an App?

Also wondering whether the hotel offers any parking discount/ deals, or whether anyone’s ever been offered comped parking as a Diamond?

Any recent experiences welcomed!
wizla likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:32 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; UA/*A
I noticed the question here and on the DT thread. I'm interested too as I haven't stayed at any of the York properties so it's a potential for me too. On recent visits to the city I have variously stayed at the Hilton Leeds, Doubletree Leeds and the HGI Doncaster but that was because the rates in York were so high (which they are in the summer and over holiday weekends)

Edited to add: train travel from Leeds and Doncaster is super easy, very inexpensive and very frequent, and both the Leeds properties are practically on top of the station although the Doncaster HGI is not.
wizla likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:10 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Yes the York properties are always overpriced at times when I want to go, so I've only ever stayed at the DT, which was adequate. In fact there have been several times when I found it better to just drive from London at 2am rather than pay the exorbitant rates that these average to below average properties seem to be able to command.

The Hampton (near the station) frequently has higher rates than the others which may indicate that people don't really care about the facilities. I notice there's now a second Hampton nearer the centre.
Freetotravel likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:12 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by adobbing
Previously I’ve used the (public?) car park out front, although a long time ago, back then I used good old fashioned coins.
Presumably it would now be available on an App?
Not stayed here for four years, but back then the York Council car parks used RingGo, and that still seems to be the case from looking on their website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.