Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:10 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Not if they want to keep their HHonors earnings and benefits. Keep in mind, a huge chunk of Hilton's business is people who don't particularly care about getting the absolute best bottom-dollar price since they're not paying for it themselves (business travelers that expense their stays)... this kind of traveler looks for the best personal return (usually points earnings and status) that still conforms to their company's travel policies. I doubt there are many people willing to leave a program based on their BRG policies, but being able to advertise such a program goes a long way.
Hi IsleOfMan,

I provided this feedback to my team and received some clarification. We have relaxed elements of the BRG Terms & Conditions to allow more claims to be approved. In particular:
  • The cancellation policy has a 72 hour grace period instead of being exact
  • Membership rates are approved depending on the offered amenities
  • Room type requirements are lax as long as the room rates are the same
Originally Posted by TinDrum
May we please have a list (perhaps even a wiki) of sites that are commonly rejected by the Hilton BRG crew for valid or invalid reasons? One such site is www.amoma.com (no justification, IMO) but there are countless others which they deny on some spurious ground or the other.

So what sites have you tried unsuccessfully? Listing these sites will help others avoid wasting their time on submitting claims that will be stillborn.

Conversely, what sites have worked and pass their criteria?
As of 9/18/14, these sites are no longer authorized to distribute our hotels’ static rates:
  • Alpharooms.com
  • Amoma.com
  • ASDA-Travel
  • Cleartrip.com
  • Despegar
  • Elvoline
  • Galahotels
  • Hotelpronto.com
  • Jumbotours
  • LMT.com
  • Secretescapes
  • Simplytravel.de
  • TravelRepublic
  • Wego
  • Worldwideholidays.com.au
This list might be subject to changes in the future, as our process is constantly evolving.

Other websites are considered noncompliant per our Terms & Conditions because they do not immediately confirm the booking or may require a voucher at check-in.

Thanks,
Erin
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:30 pm

Boy do I have a long first time post but I hope I tell the tale welll...

I am having an awful time with a BRG claim for Hlton LAX. I found a rate for $123 CDN on Expedia, when lowest rate on the Hilton website was $159 USD. Submit my online claim and wait. In the evening, the Expedia rate disappears but I note that it's still available on www.hoteltravel.com. Call 1-800 HILTON hoping to speak to someone to see if I can have my claim assessed for www.hoteltravel.com and then the fun begins...

Call #1 to 1-800 HILTON finds me with an agent that tells me Expedia is not eligible for BRG claims because it's third party opaque. I tell them that I'm certain Expedia is not opaque like Hotwire or Priceline. Agent says she'll transfer me to HHonors desk because I'm a Diamond member (she knew this from my phone number when she picked up, as I hadn't entered my HHonors number or reservation #. Transferred to HHonors only to find line is closed for night and then hung up on.

Call #2 to an agent that says they'll transfer me to Guest Assistance. I ask if that's same as HHonors line because that was closed for night and told no. Wait 30 minutes and am a bit annoyed I have no indication of if anyone is going to pick up or wait time. I call 1-800 line again to inquire if that wait is normal and agent #3 can't answer that. Agent #3 tries to reach Guest Assistance and no one picks up. I go back to waiting for call #2 to be answered and tweet a mildly annoyed comment to @hiltonhelps. @hiltonhelps replies back quickly with an email address to send my information. I start typing out my explanation while staying on hold.

Call #2 is picked up at 70 minute mark. Agent is completely professional and helpful but her hands are tied because she's not empowered to deal with BRG. She tells me my claim has been received but not assessed. I ask her if she can put in her call notes that I know that Expedia rate is gone but that the rate exists on www.hoteltravel.com and I would like claim reviewed on that. She says she'll put it in notes and encourages me to take screenshots. I thank her and say that I'll deal with BRG desk.

By this time, I'm now convinced this is a Kafkaesque process and complete my email to the address given to me by @hiltonhelp. I explain that Expedia rate is gone and that it still exists at www.hoteltravel.com. Now cynical that rate will disappear, I book a cancellable reservation on www.hoteltravel.com and receive instant confirmation on web browser and by email. I send that in with email and also screenshots proving I was on hold that long. Wait for reply.

Next day, I don't get a reply back from BRG desk in 24 hrs but I do get one from Guest Assistance stating they can't review BRG but they have sent to BRG desk. FInally get reply back from BRG stating claim denied based on rate not being on Expedia anymore. I reply back with a copy of email I sent to Guest Assistance stating I had tried to get rate reviewed on www.hoteltravel.com. I further state that rate still exists there and even a search on Trivago found an AMOMA rate for lower than Hilton rate. And wait again.

Next day, I get a reply stating AMOMA isn't eligible for BRG. I reply back that the average traveler has no way of knowing that, based on information on BRG webpage. I ask that rate be assessed based on www.hoteltravel.com. Next reply I get is that they can't review my claim because I had submitted it based on Expedia rate that vapourized. Now I'm especially thinking this is a farce because they had already reviewed it once and deemed AMOMA was not eligible --so why did they review it for AMOMA but tell me they can't review for www.hoteltravel.com.

My complaints with this process are multiple:

1. First 1-800 HILTON agent didn't understand what opaque meant and transferred me to a desk that was closed.

2. Being on hold for well over 70 minutes to speak to Guest Asssistance agent -- no indication of if my call would be answered or wait time

3. 1-800 HILTON agent not able to reach Guest Assistance --shouldn't there be a direct contact mechanism within the contact

4. BRG agents not reviewing all information provided

5. Not being able to speak to a real live person about this and having to rely on a Byzantine process of wait and see.

6. No way to submit screenshots or proof a rate exists and watching it evaporate while waiting for assessment.

7. The feeling that any loophole will be exploited to avoid honoring a policy that is deliberately vague on the website.

I am a 7 year HHonors Diamond member that spent 2 more years at Gold and Silver. Hilton has probably gotten $80K in revenue from me. I shudder this is how they treat people that want to stay at their properties. I am less concerned with cashing in on the $50 Amex credit and more wanting to ensure my HHonors profile is linked with my stay and thereby getting the free wi-fi, points, and lounge access (I like a quieter place to relax than the lounge). I have also successfully had the only 3 best rate guarantees I've submitted at other chains (2 with Starwood and 1 with Fairmont) in 10 years. In those instances, I spoke to a live person on initial call (after being transferred once or twice) that searched my listed cite and immediately verified that there was a lower rate. I've never had a company go so far out of it's way to find ways not to extend a service promise.

So I'm frustrated. And I compare this to my recent service call to Apple. Three service calls by appointment with the same agent that went to pains to understand my issues with my malfunctioning wi-fi on the phone. Agent was friendly, responsive and ultimately empowered at the end to tell me it seemed like it was a hardware issue on my phone and that they would replace it by appointment at any Apple store. Shocking how different the experience is between a company that wants it's customers to be happy with their product vs this.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Shifty Business?

Hey all. I submitted a BRG claim yesterday based on a rate I found on aa.com who often has discounts on Hilton properties. I always save screenshots of my alternate booking sites to ensure I don't get burned on the BRG claim.

Any-hoo, this morning I received a denial from the BRG desk, stating that they could not find the rate in question. Sure enough, the aa.com site had amended their rates for this hotel, removing the rate for the room type I had booked.

My question, is this an example of Hilton using the BRG submissions to eliminate good deals on other sites? For my own case, I've submitted my screenshots and am hopeful the rate will be honored, however I'm hoping the HH Representative can shed some light on the practice of removing rates from competing sites like aa.com, and especially if their removal is intended to deep-six a legitimate BRG claim such as mine.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by banffflyr
Hey all. I submitted a BRG claim yesterday based on a rate I found on aa.com who often has discounts on Hilton properties. I always save screenshots of my alternate booking sites to ensure I don't get burned on the BRG claim.

Any-hoo, this morning I received a denial from the BRG desk, stating that they could not find the rate in question. Sure enough, the aa.com site had amended their rates for this hotel, removing the rate for the room type I had booked.

My question, is this an example of Hilton using the BRG submissions to eliminate good deals on other sites? For my own case, I've submitted my screenshots and am hopeful the rate will be honored, however I'm hoping the HH Representative can shed some light on the practice of removing rates from competing sites like aa.com, and especially if their removal is intended to deep-six a legitimate BRG claim such as mine.
Hi there,

I'm investigating with my team and will post any updates here!

Cheers,
Erin
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi....As of 9/18/14, these sites are no longer authorized to distribute our hotels’ static rates:
  • Alpharooms.com
  • Amoma.com
  • ASDA-Travel
  • Cleartrip.com
  • Despegar
  • Elvoline
  • Galahotels
  • Hotelpronto.com
  • Jumbotours
  • LMT.com
  • Secretescapes
  • Simplytravel.de
  • TravelRepublic
  • Wego
  • Worldwideholidays.com.au
This list might be subject to changes in the future, as our process is constantly evolving.

Thanks,
Erin

Erin,

Thank you for posting the above list - much appreciated.

However, my understanding of any Best Rate Guarantee program is that the hotel makes good when another site offers a lower rate for the same room, that can be booked by the general public.

How does it (or should it) matter that the competing site is "authorized" or not to offer the lower rate? So long as a lower rate can be booked elsewhere for the same room, the guarantee should be honored - don't you think so? Otherwise, this guarantee claim is a total farce.

Hilton guests have no means of knowing, in real time, which sites are authorized and which not. So in my opinion, imposing such roadblocks is just another way of evading a genuine claim.

Other comparable chains (e.g SPG, IHG etc) do not fall back on such an "authorized site" excuse to deny claims.

So why can Hilton not be more honest? Of course, there are many guests who do not care about this because someone else (e.g. their employers) are picking up the tab. But I for one, when faced with this kind of deception, have always managed to find some other hotel which does not engage in this chicanery. Ergo, entirely Hilton's loss.

TD
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Took just under a week for a reply but success –

Hilton Barcelona – adjusted rate 84.24 Euro a night – adjusted by 40.13 Euro the equivalent of $50 to make new rate *** 64.13 EURO / a night **
– 2 nights – March 2015.

Original .com rate was 130 Euro a night.

PM me for the comparison site where I found the 84.24 Euro a night rate if you are interesed.

Last edited by Wembleygal; Dec 5, 2014 at 12:40 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:53 am

After a two week process, my claim was finally approved. I was told the website I used was not authorized to offer the rate but they'd honor my claim. No idea what criteria is used to determine authorized websites. However, the expectation that any traveler should know that when they take it on faith that their claim will be reviewed fairly is dubious at best. Plus, the rate was first found on Expedia before it disappeared so it's not just some small obscure website that pulled this rate out of thin air.

I have to give a shout out to Erin, the HHonors rep on here, that made sure my inquiry went to someone who could review everything in its entirety. Also, that Erin followed up with me with PMs that I hadn't checked (I didn't set PM email notification, although I thought I had). Thanks for putting me in touch with a live person. In my initial quest to get this rectified before it became a customer service nightmare, the first 1-800 HILTONS agents I spoke to were accommodating but unable to help or gave incorrect info. The Guest Services reps I spoke to were professional and friendly but not empowered to help. The seemingly virtual BRG agents reviewing my claim via email didn't seem to review all available information and were what caused me to push it to this forum with a post.

I only hope that Hilton somehow fixes their BRG submission and review process. I dug my heels in because the process was so maddening and such a negative experience. It became about the principle and I was prepared to walk away from staying from the reservation and future ones.

Last edited by pandora4; Dec 6, 2014 at 8:59 am
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Welcome, Pandora, to Flyertalk. Now you see the value of being here. I hope to have equal success with the Hilton Rep in my quest to receive the Cyber Monday rate at Waikoloa whose promo said Book by Dec 2 but apparently was some sort of mistake and would not be honored after Dec 1 at midnight EST. As a Californian, I hate that anyway and in full sympathy with anyone in Hawaii who is barely leaving the dinner table when the expirations occurred EST.

I am like you when I feel I am in the right and have been know to carry a complaint to the president of a company which has generally been very successful. I have not had to use a Hilton Rep since the famous Adam was on board but he was a magician. My recent experience was like yours with Customer Service. I was given a song and dance about all the rep could do but, in the end, all I got was hand wringing tales of how powerless all the employees of Customer Service and the Waikoloa were. And I had a copy of the ad faxed to the hotel AND Customer Service was able to pull it up.

^to you, Pandora and Erin, and to Hilton Customer Service and Waikoloa, formerly my favorite hotel.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 1:15 pm

So Erin, how about a response to #1265 above?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Claimed Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport vs Galahotels Rate with 3.07 EUR difference. Claim denied as Hilton considered the HH rate a 'package' based on it's title 'Winter Sale 33%'. I replied since this rate did not include anything extra the title doesn't matter as long as room features match the competing rate. Again denied. Phone call follow up also not successful.

I filed a complaint with the Attorney General back home in California and also sent a copy of the complaint to Hilton.

... I am a customer of HILTON HOTELS WORLDWIDE with the HHonors account number xxxxxxx and have been communicating with Hilton Hotels in regards to a reservation made via their website www.hilton.com and subsequent use of the advertised 'Best Rate Guarantee'. This guarantee proclaims that the customer always receives the best available rate on Hilton.com or if it is evident that Hilton can not keep the promise, the company will match the lower rate of the third party provider and provide an additional 50 USD discount on this reservation.

For the current case, a reservation has been entered on November 24th 2004 for the Hilton Garden Inn, Frankfurt Airport (Germany) to commence on December 2xnd 2014 under the reference #xxxxxxxxxx and after discovering a cheaper price on the website Galahotels.com a Best Rate Claim has been opened under Claim #xxxxxxxx. With an email on the same day November 24th Hilton Worldwide via their representative Ms MARY V. (email signature) of the Guest Assistance Department denied my claim with the following explanation: 'I regret to inform that we are unable to honor your Best Rate claim due to the room rate being part of a package that can not be split apart and offered separately. This rate may never be displayed or sold on a distributors’ internet booking/electronic or online distribution systems (i.e., cannot be offered online unless bundled in an appropriate package).'

This explanation is without merit. The website Galahotels.com does not offer the hotel room as part of a package. I contacted Hilton Diamond Guest Services again today on November 25th to resolve the matter. The representative still claimed that Hilton considers my original reservation a 'package' as it contains the wording 'Winter Sale 33% Discount'. It is my legal understanding that a wording such as this does not constitute a package if it is not offering any sort of material benefit such as breakfast, extra points or a late checkout. The reference of a discount is already self explanatory as the total price contains such that. Yet the third party website offers the reservation for 70 EUR instead of Hilton themselves for 73.03 EUR. In our view, we are absolutely eligible to claim a Best Rate Guarantee from Hilton Hotels Worldwide. ...
Then another email from Hilton a Manager would look into it who subsequently approved it with the same lines as given to others above 'Galahotels not an authorized site but we honor it as a gesture of goodwill bla bla.

I don't know why it's always necessary to choose the nuclear option with Hilton. Their BRG is a farce!
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:46 am

Erin,

Thank you for posting the above list - much appreciated.

However, my understanding of any Best Rate Guarantee program is that the hotel makes good when another site offers a lower rate for the same room, that can be booked by the general public.

How does it (or should it) matter that the competing site is "authorized" or not to offer the lower rate? So long as a lower rate can be booked elsewhere for the same room, the guarantee should be honored - don't you think so? Otherwise, this guarantee claim is a total farce.

Hilton guests have no means of knowing, in real time, which sites are authorized and which not. So in my opinion, imposing such roadblocks is just another way of evading a genuine claim.

Other comparable chains (e.g SPG, IHG etc) do not fall back on such an "authorized site" excuse to deny claims.

So why can Hilton not be more honest? Of course, there are many guests who do not care about this because someone else (e.g. their employers) are picking up the tab. But I for one, when faced with this kind of deception, have always managed to find some other hotel which does not engage in this chicanery. Ergo, entirely Hilton's loss.

TD
So Erin, how about a response to #1265 above?
Hi TinDrum,

I'm investigating with my team now and will post updates as soon as they're available!

Thanks,
Erin
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by pandora4
After a two week process, my claim was finally approved. I was told the website I used was not authorized to offer the rate but they'd honor my claim. No idea what criteria is used to determine authorized websites. However, the expectation that any traveler should know that when they take it on faith that their claim will be reviewed fairly is dubious at best. Plus, the rate was first found on Expedia before it disappeared so it's not just some small obscure website that pulled this rate out of thin air.

I have to give a shout out to Erin, the HHonors rep on here, that made sure my inquiry went to someone who could review everything in its entirety. Also, that Erin followed up with me with PMs that I hadn't checked (I didn't set PM email notification, although I thought I had). Thanks for putting me in touch with a live person. In my initial quest to get this rectified before it became a customer service nightmare, the first 1-800 HILTONS agents I spoke to were accommodating but unable to help or gave incorrect info. The Guest Services reps I spoke to were professional and friendly but not empowered to help. The seemingly virtual BRG agents reviewing my claim via email didn't seem to review all available information and were what caused me to push it to this forum with a post.

I only hope that Hilton somehow fixes their BRG submission and review process. I dug my heels in because the process was so maddening and such a negative experience. It became about the principle and I was prepared to walk away from staying from the reservation and future ones.
Hi pandora4,

Happy we were able to assist! Your experience has also been shared with the broader team as feedback and will be discussed during our next regularly scheduled call.

Please continue to reach out with questions and suggestions for improvement!

Originally Posted by Karen2
Welcome, Pandora, to Flyertalk. Now you see the value of being here. I hope to have equal success with the Hilton Rep in my quest to receive the Cyber Monday rate at Waikoloa whose promo said Book by Dec 2 but apparently was some sort of mistake and would not be honored after Dec 1 at midnight EST. As a Californian, I hate that anyway and in full sympathy with anyone in Hawaii who is barely leaving the dinner table when the expirations occurred EST.

I am like you when I feel I am in the right and have been know to carry a complaint to the president of a company which has generally been very successful. I have not had to use a Hilton Rep since the famous Adam was on board but he was a magician. My recent experience was like yours with Customer Service. I was given a song and dance about all the rep could do but, in the end, all I got was hand wringing tales of how powerless all the employees of Customer Service and the Waikoloa were. And I had a copy of the ad faxed to the hotel AND Customer Service was able to pull it up.

^to you, Pandora and Erin, and to Hilton Customer Service and Waikoloa, formerly my favorite hotel.
Hi Karen2,

Thanks for reaching out. I'm checking in with my team now and will send any updates via PM!

Cheers,
Erin
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi TinDrum,

I'm investigating with my team now and will post updates as soon as they're available!

Thanks,
Erin
Appreciate your continuing to look into this - it would be great if you could help turn the needle a little towards 'Fair'

But as the incident narrated by skywalkerLAX above (see post #1270) shows, it appears that the basic modus operandi of Hilton's BRG is to scam clients with dubious excuses. Erin, how would you feel, if YOU had to make a BRG claim at another hotel and this is the kind of response you always received?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Conrad Chicago
Hilton.com $205
getaroom.com $123-- but then on Monday (the day mine was approved) the rate dropped to $87 (!) so will get the Conrad for $87/night plus the $50 gift card.
Amazing!

PS--I will say that I'm quite impressed that the Hilton Representative here on FT might actually be helping make the Hilton BRG to be not such a joke. I've been approved the last few times without all of the made-up reasons, nonsense, etc.
Very happy.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Hopefully this issue will get fully resolved before travelling in less than 2 days
Finally, 8 weeks after booking/BRG submission and 2.5 weeks after checking out, this was resolved yesterday.

My father received a cheque for the difference in the rates, and 5,000 HH points as an apology, last week.

After a couple of more emails, they agreed to also process and send a cheque for $50 - albeit calling it for the delay on the issue, rather than for the additional $50 "off" that is advertised in the BRG.

Hopefully this BRG thread, plus the individual case outlined in this thread, will show Hilton that there are severe issues when trying to get the BRG that someone is entitled to.

It is very helpful that HHrep (Erin) is on the forum, as emailing Hilton and waiting for a reply is painfully slow. IMO, she should not take everything at face value when told it on the Hilton side, passing incorrect information to members here.

Unfortunately Hilton is still pushing the "not an approved website" nonsense:

Originally Posted by HH BRG Team (email)
I have spoke with management and was advised that the claim was not approved because we are unable price match against Amoma, however, the lower rate was honored. However, due to the delay we will be sending you a refund check for $50.
Hopefully Hilton will work on these issues to allow a smoother process when a customer is submitting a BRG claim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.