Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Helsinki Strand {FIN}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Thanks. I'd rather walk to stuff. Is there anything "around" the Hilton or is it pretty isolated and you've got to walk over that bridge?
Originally Posted by the810
The location is actually very good, 15-20 minutes walk to places like central station or Market Square. We walked everywhere within the city centre and only used public transport for trips further away.
​​​​​
Originally Posted by Abidjan
Agreed, I like the location as well.
There is stuff in the opposite direction as well. Some restaurants, bars and a indoor market with great vendor booths.
saaveraward likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
The sea view is actually a view to a bridge construction site. I think that’s one reason the prices tend to be cheap here. I was there for three longer and one shorter stay in Jan-March. The exec rooms are about the same as regular ones, although they do have floor heating in the bathroom and some extra amenities. Rooms are rather dull, to be honest.

The exec lounge food was mostly vegetarian, but once there was chicken and another day some fried fish. The prosecco was quite ok.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by tsastor
The sea view is actually a view to a bridge construction site. I think that’s one reason the prices tend to be cheap here. I was there for three longer and one shorter stay in Jan-March. The exec rooms are about the same as regular ones, although they do have floor heating in the bathroom and some extra amenities. Rooms are rather dull, to be honest.

The exec lounge food was mostly vegetarian, but once there was chicken and another day some fried fish. The prosecco was quite ok.
So no water views to speak of from anywhere?
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Yes there are views to an inlet, with a bridge crossing it a couple of hundred meters out. Sounds like the bridge is under construction. There are boats in the water in the summer. One winter I was there the inlet froze over and you could jump down and walk on it, pretty cool.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Have to say I quite enjoy Helsinki in the dead of winter. Walking over the frozen bodies of water, like the locals, is a trip.
the810 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Yes there are views to an inlet, with a bridge crossing it a couple of hundred meters out. Sounds like the bridge is under construction. There are boats in the water in the summer. One winter I was there the inlet froze over and you could jump down and walk on it, pretty cool.
On that note, is there anywhere nearby to rent a small boat without a license? I enjoy doing that in cities new to me. Very fun and relaxing.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:10 am

On that note, is there anywhere nearby to rent a small boat without a license? I enjoy doing that in cities new to me. Very fun and relaxing.
A rowboat, perhaps
Old Jun 3, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
So no water views to speak of from anywhere?
You do see the water - and the construction site. This is the view from our "sea view" room few weeks ago:

At the time we stayed, the difference was 10 euros per night, which was worth it in my opinion.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 1:27 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
I always thought the difference between ”sea” and ”canal” view was pretty artifical… smallish body of water on both sides. (I actually enjoy observing big construction sites, but I’m weird that way.)
the810 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Have to say I quite enjoy Helsinki in the dead of winter. Walking over the frozen bodies of water, like the locals, is a trip.
Nothing like waiting for a bus or tram when it's -30 .. or going to a Nakkikioski (hotdog stand) and eating your Porilainen hiding behind it to avoid the bone chilling breeze. Been there, done that..
the810 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 10:56 pm

You do see the water - and the construction site. This is the view from our "sea view" room few weeks ago:

At the time we stayed, the difference was 10 euros per night, which was worth it in my opinion.
Oh. I'm ok with that. looks lovely and not on top of construction
the810 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Well worth it, the interior rooms face a soulless courtyard and don't get a lot of natural light.
the810 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Well worth it, the interior rooms face a soulless courtyard and don't get a lot of natural light.
Aren't those soulless courtyard "view" rooms a positive at this time when the sun rises during the 3am hour and the birds start their noise by 4am?
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:02 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Aren't those soulless courtyard "view" rooms a positive at this time when the sun rises during the 3am hour and the birds start their noise by 4am?
That's what blackout curtains are for If you want darkness, you can get it at any time of the day, irrespective of sunrise/sunset time.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That's what blackout curtains are for If you want darkness, you can get it at any time of the day, irrespective of sunrise/sunset time.
The blackout curtains don't always cover the edges of the windows very well. And then there are the seagulls or whatever those birds are making noise like crazy during the 4am hour.

At least there is some air conditioning that sort of works -- at least in comparison to some other places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.