Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Waldorf Hilton, London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by hotel_user
Just out of interest, do the lounge staff actually check that the "guest" has been given access to the lounge. When we were here last, many people just "wandered in" without using the key card as others held the door open for them. Have seen this in other lounges too ( and on some ships ).
The only lounge I remember being in at a Hilton where they check is the Paris Opera and not sure if they still do now since I've been there since Covid.

Pre Covid there use to be an attendant at the front desk of the Waldorf but didn't see one this time. Since there is no one at the front desk of the lougne aymore I'm sure the staff has no way of checking for who has access since AFAIK people with lounge access have the same type of key that people without access do
hotel_user likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:44 am

Recently returned from a stay here and couldn’t recommend the hotel.

Room despite being modern was done very cheaply, more Travel Lodge than Hilton. Marks, scuffs and scratches everywhere. A bed that’s base was so lightweight that when you sit down on it the entire bed moves.

No hot water

Breakfast tiny buffet with stale rock hard pastries

Lots of new staff with an apparent lack of training. We checked in and had a room to find the next day our booking was cancelled as a no show.

Executive Lounge they may as well scrap, tiny, poor selection.

Never a manager available to speak to. Could never ring the front desk as they just would never answer. So each time had to physically go to the front desk.

overall very poor.

Last edited by jayhayers; Jan 3, 2023 at 7:50 am
Old Jan 3, 2023, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately your experience mirrors my own a few months ago. There's not many refurbished Hiltons that are very un-Travelodge though and they're probably franchised. It's the way of the world to use the cheapest MDF crap. I've no specifics on this hotel but properties I do know about, the owners were over leveraged from the start (general property market) and took out way too much cash when times were good. Plus, Hilton's lawyers seem rubbish at either writing or enforcing management contracts with owners to get the cash to refurbish properly.

Generally, lounges are on their way way out.
Trying not to be negative but I can see breakfast going continental or that F&B discount coming in.

Lots of us need to ask ourselves, would we stay at these hotels if you didn't have status, would you make your journey 7 hours via some hub cos you've invested in some status than 2 with Ryanair. Loyalty is dying.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jayhayers
Recently returned from a stay here and couldn’t recommend the hotel.

Room despite being modern was done very cheaply, more Travel Lodge than Hilton. Marks, scuffs and scratches everywhere. A bed that’s base was so lightweight that when you sit down on it the entire bed moves.

No hot water

Breakfast tiny buffet with stale rock hard pastries

Lots of new staff with an apparent lack of training. We checked in and had a room to find the next day our booking was cancelled as a no show.

Executive Lounge they may as well scrap, tiny, poor selection.

Never a manager available to speak to. Could never ring the front desk as they just would never answer. So each time had to physically go to the front desk.

overall very poor.
Agree about the lounge. Pre-Covid I always liked the lounge but they did away with the clotted cream and scones and sandwiches in the afternoon and happy hour sucks. They don't even have OJ anymore. I use to enjoy going there for a cocktail or diet coke and appetizers before a show, too bad they ruined the lounge. I wish they would just give vouchers for the bar or for their afternoon tea instead to diamonds. Ive never had an issue with hot water but last stay arrived the day after they had the record heat wave and was having issues getting the room to a comfortable tempereature.

Did you try the breakfast in the restaurant or was it the lounge? I was there in July and the restaurant buffet that was free for diamonds had plenty of hot food. Hope they didn't eliminate that. Precovid they would allow you to order off the menu for free also but didn't in July.

My next London stay, I'll only stay there if it's cheaper than the Doubletree west end. The DT is just as convenient location wise and no big deal not having a lounge now.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:22 am

They didn’t even have coke when I visited!

I took Breakfast in the restaurant, seeing the size of the lounge I thought it would be the best option.

Buffet and menu were free for Diamonds. Though somehow I ended up with two omelettes after ordering one, not really sure how that is even possible to happen!

Yes sounds a good plan, we only stayed here for a change from our normal choice of the Conrad or the Hilton at Tower Bridge. Really wish we hadn’t bothered!

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Agree about the lounge. Pre-Covid I always liked the lounge but they did away with the clotted cream and scones and sandwiches in the afternoon and happy hour sucks. They don't even have OJ anymore. I use to enjoy going there for a cocktail or diet coke and appetizers before a show, too bad they ruined the lounge. I wish they would just give vouchers for the bar or for their afternoon tea instead to diamonds. Ive never had an issue with hot water but last stay arrived the day after they had the record heat wave and was having issues getting the room to a comfortable tempereature.

Did you try the breakfast in the restaurant or was it the lounge? I was there in July and the restaurant buffet that was free for diamonds had plenty of hot food. Hope they didn't eliminate that. Precovid they would allow you to order off the menu for free also but didn't in July.

My next London stay, I'll only stay there if it's cheaper than the Doubletree west end. The DT is just as convenient location wise and no big deal not having a lounge now.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:41 am

I agree regarding the lounges unfortunately there has been an ongoing decline with a few exceptions.

A fair point, without Diamond status probably not. But we have been exceptionally lucky with a lot of the upgrades we’ve had over the years and still have a lot of points to burn.

To be fair to the hotel they’ve now given me a full refund but would rather the experience never happened!

Originally Posted by hugolover
Unfortunately your experience mirrors my own a few months ago. There's not many refurbished Hiltons that are very un-Travelodge though and they're probably franchised. It's the way of the world to use the cheapest MDF crap. I've no specifics on this hotel but properties I do know about, the owners were over leveraged from the start (general property market) and took out way too much cash when times were good. Plus, Hilton's lawyers seem rubbish at either writing or enforcing management contracts with owners to get the cash to refurbish properly.

Generally, lounges are on their way way out.
Trying not to be negative but I can see breakfast going continental or that F&B discount coming in.

Lots of us need to ask ourselves, would we stay at these hotels if you didn't have status, would you make your journey 7 hours via some hub cos you've invested in some status than 2 with Ryanair. Loyalty is dying.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 10:35 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Wow, the last couple of posts are 100% the same experience as my stay on Dec 30th. Scrum to check in, no mention of my diamond benefits when I checked in (I had to run through with the agent to make sure what was on offer). No hot water out of main shower so had to use the bath attachment, bed wheeled itself all over, carpets thread bare, rooms a mess, exec lounge over run during happy hour, no diet coke (only coke zero!!)

We did have breakfast in the main restaurant and was free as was Diamond (in fact we had eggs benedict which was supposed to be a £7 supplement but that was not charged). Coffee took an age to come out and the hot (ordered) food was luke warm when delivered.

Only thing that was quick was the checkout and my wife and I agreed that this would be the last time we visited this particular hotel. Great location but seriously overpriced and needs new management and a complete re-furb
Old Nov 3, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Stayed here recently and was NOT impressed.

-Executive Club lounge has one of the stingiest offerings I've ever seen in a Hilton hotel. No buffet at all for food. They deliver a bowl with about 20 pitted (mini) olives and later bring a plate with 6 (or 3 if you're really unlucky) very small cold canapes. That's it in terms of food !!

-Executive Club lounge often full at peak times and you will have to wait for a table

-Toilet flush in my room was half broken....would flush ok, but water would keep coming out after main flush. Had to press to 3 or 4 times to make the water stop.

-NO walk in shower....just old fashioned bathtub

-Windows can NOT be opened for fresh air

-In room safe was not bolted down and could theoretically be pulled out and carried away.

-Despite having a check out at 2p.m. (confirmed on morning of departure) I was bothered TWICE by cleaning staff between midday and 2p.m. despite my do not disturb sign being clearly on the outside door handle.

-Long lines ad long waits to get a table at breakfast

-Half of the items on breakfast menu have a surcharge such as eggs Benedict

-Grand breakfast hall wooden floor trembles...A LOT ! Feels like a mini earthquake every day at breakfast.

-No tube (metro) station nearby

Last edited by est-gratuite; Nov 3, 2023 at 2:12 pm
Old Nov 3, 2023, 2:53 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by est-gratuite

-Executive Club lounge has one of the stingiest offerings I've ever seen in a Hilton hotel. No buffet at all for food. They deliver a bowl with about 20 pitted (mini) olives and later bring a plate with 6 (or 3 if you're really unlucky) very small cold canapes. That's it in terms of food !!

-Executive Club lounge often full at peak times and you will have to wait for a table

-Toilet flush in my room was half broken....would flush ok, but water would keep coming out after main flush. Had to press to 3 or 4 times to make the water stop.

-In room safe was not bolted down and could theoretically be pulled out and carried away.

-Despite having a check out at 2p.m. (confirmed on morning of departure) I was bothered TWICE by cleaning staff between midday and 2p.m. despite my do not disturb sign being clearly on the outside door handle.

-Grand breakfast hall wooden floor trembles...A LOT ! Feels like a mini earthquake every day at breakfast.

It’s definitely gone downhill here, this used to be my favourite Hilton….
Also add to the list … no afternoon tea anymore, lounge 5-7pm ( was pre covid 6-8:30pm ) .
I particularly dislike the served canapés idea, it’s simply a cost cutting measure, if they laid on some cheese and biscuits, fruit and perhaps some salads alongside those stupid served canapés it would be okay, not great but okay…..to think they used to serve steak kebabs during happy hour a few years back.
I still love the buzz of the bar and the spa is great too but I cannot justify the price to stay here anymore…..it’s a shame.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was there in July and the eggs benedict was free. hope that's not a new policy and you had a misinformed server.

I'm going back for New Years for a wuick trip Rate was over 500UK a night but only 60K points a night and I"m using a FNC from AmEx for one night so a decent deal. I agree about happy hour, wish they'd bring back the self serve items and cheese board. I really miss the scones and clotted cream.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
I was there in July and the eggs benedict was free. hope that's not a new policy and you had a misinformed server.

The price was on a printed laminated menu they give to all breakfast patrons.
Some items on the menu were still free, but eggs Benedict or eggs Florentine was definitely not.
I think the surcharge was around 7 or 8 pounds.

The evening lounge food offerings suck big time.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 3:29 am

POOL, SAUNA AND STEAM ROOM - PERMANENTLY CLOSED !

Yet another cost cutting measure to add to the list for this once great property, this definitely rules out any future stay for me.

So let’s round up the cutbacks since covid…..

No afternoon tea in lounge
Happy hour moved and cut by half hour
No valet parking anymore
Rubbish served canapés in lounge
Extra costs for breakfast items
No longer has a spa.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting.. didn't they outsource it to Fitness First a very long time ago? The link is dead https://www.fitnessfirst.co.uk/find-...aldorf-aldwych

I don't know if FF manage or had ownership of the spa, on some kind of agreement? It would seem the gym is closed however. The spa and sauna were out of order for months.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The price was on a printed laminated menu they give to all breakfast patrons.
Some items on the menu were still free, but eggs Benedict or eggs Florentine was definitely not.
I think the surcharge was around 7 or 8 pounds.

The evening lounge food offerings suck big time.
There were prices on the menu but the server told me it was waived for diamonds. Someone else posted the same thing so they must be enforcing it for diamonds now. Too bad.

At least they replaced the vodka back to Absolut from that swill they replaced it with in 2022 and had OJ avialable at happy hour, you just had to ask for it. I'm seirously thinking of changing my stay during new years to the DT West End. It's just such a great use of poitns though since rates are almost 700UK a night and I'm using a free night for one night and 80K a night for the other two. I can't believe anyone would pay those kind of rates. Maybe I'll do the free night at the waldorf and move to the DT since it's only 60K points a night for the other two.

It really sucks they closed the pool and spa for good at those rates. I just relally like the location more than anything
Old Nov 5, 2023, 1:06 pm

There were prices on the menu but the server told me it was waived for diamonds. Someone else posted the same thing so they must be enforcing it for diamonds now. Too bad.

At least they replaced the vodka back to Absolut from that swill they replaced it with in 2022 and had OJ avialable at happy hour, you just had to ask for it. I'm seirously thinking of changing my stay during new years to the DT West End. It's just such a great use of poitns though since rates are almost 700UK a night and I'm using a free night for one night and 80K a night for the other two. I can't believe anyone would pay those kind of rates. Maybe I'll do the free night at the waldorf and move to the DT since it's only 60K points a night for the other two.

It really sucks they closed the pool and spa for good at those rates. I just relally like the location more than anything
Agree about the location, I also like the buzz of the place, I’ve often in the past spent an evening in the lounge relaxing with a few drinks with friends and then gone out trough the doors, down the staircase and through the lobby where the doorman hails me a cab to a restaurant, gig or comedy club….. I kinda love the atmosphere in the bar too….i just simply can’t no longer justify the high rate’s anymore with all the cutbacks ….such a shame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.