Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Waldorf Hilton, London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by wizla
I’m here Friday night with a old mate of mine, no particular reason just on a jolly .
Twin guest room booked and just noticed preupgraded to a twin deluxe room....... should arrive mid morning and the plan is to have a poke around the west end , afternoon tea ( in the lounge ) swim and sauna then relax in the executive lounge in the evening .
I have noticed that valet parking Is no longer an option here so will park at Q Park tower bridge and cab in.
If anyone wants me to find anything out during my stay please feel free to ask .
Will do the usual live reporting.
I have a stay in July. Can you find out if they still have the breakfast buffet in the restaurant and if the restaurant in the restaurant is still an option for diamonds? The last couple stays I had precovid you could eat in the restaurant for free as a diamond and they would let you order off the menu for free as well.

Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I have a stay in July. Can you find out if they still have the breakfast buffet in the restaurant and if the restaurant in the restaurant is still an option for diamonds? The last couple stays I had precovid you could eat in the restaurant for free as a diamond and they would let you order off the menu for free as well.

Thanks!
Yep, leave it with me, we plan on having breakfast in the restaurant Saturday morning so will report on what happens.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:55 pm

Programs: CX Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Is this still a 5-star property? I have read somewhere that it is now 4-star.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 1:59 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Originally Posted by lesteryen
Is this still a 5-star property? I have read somewhere that it is now 4-star.
I doubt it ever was a 5* property, but it definitely is 4* now, and in my opinion only worth 3*.
lesteryen and hugolover like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Winniesbestfriend
I doubt it ever was a 5* property, but it definitely is 4* now, and in my opinion only worth 3*.
I haven't stayed there since pre-covid but I would have given it four stars back then. Beautiful historic building. Could use a few upgrades but still well maintained.

Main reasons I like staying there are the treatment of diamonds and location.
wizla likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Winniesbestfriend
It used to be 5-star (based on the official, objective criteria) but dropped to 4 some years ago.
wizla likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 9:57 am

Arrived 10-30am after a great breakfast at the Delaunay restaurant next door ( expensive but very nice ) , swift check in , room ready so up we go....

BEDROOM - it’s a reasonable size, twin deluxe room...... will upload some photos later but very much the same as my last trips here, it’s spotless but slightly worn.

BATHROOM - it’s long , twin sinks, large bath and separate shower, again clean and tidy.....I like the temple spa toiletries.

We popped to the lounge for a quick coffee before going out for a walk around, I noticed a new machine but unfortunately it kept failing so host got me a cappuccino from restaurant.
There is no longer afternoon tea served but there was some crisps and cinnamon popcorn along with. Fruit bowl.

Now returned to use spa....... will report back!
Old Mar 25, 2022, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrived 10-30am after a great breakfast at the Delaunay restaurant next door ( expensive but very nice ) , swift check in , room ready so up we go....

BEDROOM - it’s a reasonable size, twin deluxe room...... will upload some photos later but very much the same as my last trips here, it’s spotless but slightly worn.

BATHROOM - it’s long , twin sinks, large bath and separate shower, again clean and tidy.....I like the temple spa toiletries.

We popped to the lounge for a quick coffee before going out for a walk around, I noticed a new machine but unfortunately it kept failing so host got me a cappuccino from restaurant.
There is no longer afternoon tea served but there was some crisps and cinnamon popcorn along with. Fruit bowl.

Now returned to use spa....... will report back!
That sucks about afternoon tea. I loved their clotted cream and scones and in fact would sometimes make a special trip back to the hotel in the afternoon if I was out and about just for one.
wizla likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 11:54 am

SPA - pleasant.... it’s not changed at all but had a lick of paint, it was quiet and a great place to relax for a while , sauna particularly hot...bliss!.... ice shower next to sauna too.

EXECUTIVE LOUNGE - 5pm - 7pm ( happy hour )

Arrived 5-30pm , it’s fairly full but filling quickly, in fact as I type it’s now just about full

CANAPÉS - so far very disappointing, it’s no longer self serve, we was presented with some nuts , olives and dates to start occasionally a waiter walks around with a platter of food, we was offered some duck on brussetta but these are tiny , I know that’s kinda the idea of canapés but it used to be a great selection here before covid.
Obviously the night is young so I will report back later on the offerings .

SPIRITS - Jameson’s whisky, Havana club, beeefeater gin, martini and vodka.

BEERS - Heineken and Stella.

WINE - red / white and prosseco

Will report back!
Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They don't have bailey's anymore??? That stinks. Hopefully the vodka is still absolut. Is the beverages still self servce?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
They don't have bailey's anymore??? That stinks. Hopefully the vodka is still absolut. Is the beverages still self servce?
Nope, no baileys and the vodka is not absolut.

So far the waiter has come around with some barbecue cauliflower and some mango/ham sticks..... disappointing!.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 25, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Oh Wizla, that sounds really disappointing! I wouldn’t be impressed by those canapés at all, barbecued cauliflower really?? And they are probably the only lounge to offer Russian vodka!
They used to have a fantastic spread. And I loved their fruitcake at afternoon tea.

Thanks for the report, always enjoy reading them!!
wizla likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Nope, no baileys and the vodka is not absolut.

So far the waiter has come around with some barbecue cauliflower and some mango/ham sticks..... disappointing!.

Hi,

Thanks for that.Food ( and drink) sounds a bit disappointing. I wonder if they are getting their cauliflower from British Airways! ( a common complaint on the BA board is that a common starter in Club World is ....Cauliflower!)

Regards

TBS
wizla and Winniesbestfriend like this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 1:44 pm

Thanks for the comments folks, to be honest is isn’t all bad, I’m trying to remain impartial but yes a little disappointed.
I’ve had a great evening, yes the canapés are somewhat disappointing, to be honest everything they served was tasty and nice, I guess I’m the kinda guy who likes to nibble on cheese and biscuits over a glass or two of prosseco, I also think 5-7pm is too early .....it used to be 6-8:30pm.
We are off for a walk to find a restaurant, the lounge is now very quiet, just a couple of folk left.
It’s a tricky one to review, it’s no secret the Waldorf is my favourite but it’s handy that there is not many foods I dislike but for some it could be tricky.
Will report back!
Old Mar 25, 2022, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The lounge is part of the reason I stay there. Disappointing there is no longer afternoon tea or Bailey's or Absolut ( At least it's Stoli's and not the DuNord crap Delta serves and is drinkable. I may look at the DT West End and see what their rates are like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.