Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Phoenix, Arizona, USA {US-AZ}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Phoenix, Arizona, USA {US-AZ}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi evergrn.

When are you planning on going? ( Weekends can be busy no matter where you go)

I do not think any hiltons have sandy beach or parts of pools but I like the following

Pointe hilton tapatio cliffs ( 8 pools around the resort with 2 main one one of which has a sloping entry to the pool and the othert has a water slide ( rooms are suite type with a living room , small hallway with the bathroom off it then the bedroom ( plus larger suites) and hiking trails nearby
Pointe hilton Squaw peak ( lazy river, water slide , crzy golf and similar room types to the tapatio cliffs

They are generally well kept ( not the best but pretty good)

Arizona Biltmore ( more adult orintated but very historic, with water slides also

The Boulders might be another option but it is on the outskirts of Phoenix

Not Hilton but I liked the Marriott Camelback inn ( main pool is ok) and the Marriott buttes ( water slides and in a rocky landscape)
Regards

TBS
Wow you've sure stayed at a lot of places.
Thinking about going the last weekend of August. Not sure yet, though.
We used to live in PHX and did a lot of staycations April-Sept. Since we're primarily there for the pool (we don't play golf and we don't sightsee), it doesn't make sense to go Nov-March when the rates are high and the weather's usually too cool for the pool. We've stayed at Hyatt Gainey Ranch a lot. That's really our favorite. But back then I wasn't tied to any chain. I think any weekend during the summer is going to be crazy busy. But for some reason, Hyatt's pools never felt crowded or chaotic. I don't know if that's because of the size of their facility or because of difference in policies amongst hotels as far as letting the locals in for day use.

I will research Tapatio Cliff. I've always stayed away from Pointe Squaw Peak because I was under the impression that the property was not well-kept and the pool was often chaotic... but that impression was from 7-8 yrs ago. But maybe things have changed. Which Pointe is better in terms of maintenance/elegance and in terms of pool? Not real big on lazy river btw... it's hard to play or exercise on lazy river (part of the problem with Westin Kierland where the lazy river takes up so much real estate and yet most people are just crowding their main pool).

I don't mind the location of Boulder... that is near Pinnacle Peak which is one of my favorite spots. But it doesn't seem to be big on pools there.

Perhaps, by process of elimination, it ends up being the Biltmore. You say it's adult-oriented, but kids are also welcome, right?

I'd love to stay at Hyatt, but Biltmore and Tapatio Cliff are half the price (with Diamond benefits to boot).
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

In the past I have been to Phoenix and arizona at least one ( often twice a year tying it in with a trip to Las vegas ) ( before discovering Japan)

The tapatio cliffs have 2 main buildingd iwth an interior courtyard with pools plus lots of buildings dotted around the hillside ( so there can be a bit of uphill.downhill walking to/from your room and parking with a larger vehicle close to your room can be awkward ( there is a shuttle)

When I was last there the rooms were ok , the bathrooms could be modernised ( but looking at the pictures on the website it looks loke the rooms and bathrooms have been updated ( there is a combined bath/shower rather than a standalone shower)

There is now a resort fee.

The Village falls has the easy slope entry pool at lower half of the bottom , the main pool and the water slide ( totally encllosed so you go down in the dark (couple of small lights en route) with other pools and the fitness centre dotted around. I saw the occasional pool tile missing ( side of the pool only) but otherwise it was reasonably well maintained with no complaints

As a gold I got vouchers for a pretty good continental breakfast buffet with a small ($5-7 upcharge for the full buffet with made to order omellettes at busier times

No Executive lounge
Rooms have balconies ( handy to dry your pool outfits)

There is hiking trails nearby with lots of saguaro cactii and a vistior centre for the north mountain preserve across the road ( subway tunnel for walking across is beside the tennis courts
The arziona Biltmore is more historic ( not all rooms have balconies) but the looby has been renovated recently. The water slide is bigger and slightly faster than the Tapatio cliffs with again various pools
The architecture is amazing ( based on Frank Lloyd Wright) and massive gardens/lawns

Not sure about the Diamond breakfast benefit ( as is is a Waldorf Astoria)

You may see mention of the Ocatilla club lounge ( this is in a separate building with its own rooms and diamonds would not get upgraded to it unless paying for an ocactila room). In the summer the Ocatilla can be reasonably priced and offers a very good continental breakfast spread, all day soft drinks. lemonade, iced tea and cofee and evening snacks and an honor bar. Yuo may need to get a golf cart to/from parking
The Biltmore is a higher quality than the Tapatio ( expected as a WA) but loved the tapatio environment.

If you do decide to go to the Biltmore there is a free history tour of the resort ( several times a week at 10am) and you might go up into the 'hidden room' upstairs near the lobby ( used in the prohbition era) as well historic photographs on the walls of the lobby sarea ( I liked the one of the hotel soon after opening showing the hotel and ....nothing else ( as it was about 9 miles from the then railway station) just barren land.

Just outside the hotel grounds and up a small hill there is the Wrigley mansion ( after the chewing gum magnate family) They do tours ( you pay a special tour membership fee of $17 for the tour) and you can have lunch in the restaurant ( I had a burger with fries for around $10 a few years back. The tour is interesting and saw the phone operators room with the walls covered by the silver foil from the chewing gum wrappers). It is a short walk from the hotel.

Food and drinks wil be more expensive at the biltmore than tapatio ( but not that bad)

As Labor day is 2nd september it is likey to be busy over that weekend then quietens down.

If you wanted to go outside of PHX, the Hilton Sedona at Bell rock ( village of oak creek outside sedona is very nice ( and being higher up is cooler than PHX in the summer) or the Hilton El Conquistador ( just outside tucson) is good also.

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jun 17, 2019 at 11:32 am
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:13 pm

@The _Banking_Scot

Thanks a lot for the additional info!

I can see what you're saying about Tapatio Cliffs vs Biltmore. Looking at the map, Tapatio is right on those stunning mountains that I used to commute through (hwy 51). Biltmore, on the other hand, is more of a flat developed area that is not visually striking. Taking everything into consideration, though, I think we would probably go with Biltmore. Forgot about El Conquistador... thanks for reminding me of that one! If we do decide to take this trip, I think I'd rather just do Phoenix since it's only 2 nights and the drive from PHX to Tucson stresses me out (the drive up north to Sedona is even more stressful). I feel the speed limits are way too high for a fairly busy freeway with only 2 lanes each direction.

If Biltmore, I would definitely do Ocatillo. Ocatillo is still $30+tax cheaper per night than Hyatt! With Diamond status and my credit card benefit, I believe we get $200 F&B credit for a 2-night stay on top of the included offerings at Ocatillo.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
Any recommendations for best Hilton property near the airport (with shuttle)? Just for an overnight and breakfast before a 10:30 a.m. flight, early December. Diamond status. TIA.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Depends whether you want value or better surroundings. For quick overnights with shuttle near PHX, I would check out Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix North. Everything has been ok on our stays but we aren't venturing off property for anything and always late arrival and early morning departure.

See this thread
Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix North
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi.

I liked the hilton phoenix Airport for an overnight stay. It had an OK lounge the last time I stayed there

Regards

Tbs
Old Sep 22, 2021, 6:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
I have the Amex Aspire offer to get some cash back on a DT stay expiring soon, and I've got a one-nighter in the Phoenix area this week.
A lot of the ES and HGI properties in Phoenix/Scottsdale/Mesa/etc look sketchy and have gotten old. I figure one's good as the other: might as well hit a TreeTree to nab up the Amex benefit. So anyone have an opinion on what's the best DT in the metro area these 2021 fall days?
(Metrics: I'm Diamond, value a good breakfast, abhor paid parking and resort fees, and like to have a hot tub at the pool...)

Options: DT Suites Phoenix, DT Tempe, DT Phoenix-Mesa, DT Phoenix North, or the DT Resort Paradise Valley-Scottsdale.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Biltmore or Boulders in Arizona?

Looking at using some Aspire free nights. We would lay around the pool and go out to eat. Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The locations are really different. Boulders is in Carefree, on the far northern edge of the Phoenix metro area, whereas the Biltmore is in the center of Phoenix. Boulders is in a beautiful natural setting, with desert landscaping, whereas Biltmore is more of an urban resort. If you want to explore restaurants, Biltmore is the better choice. If you want to feel like you're out in the desert, it's Boulders. Both properties have their issues, neither is especially generous with elite benefits.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:45 am

WWYD

Hi,
I have a wedding in October at the Hilton Scottsdale resort and village.staying 2 nights.

gonna make it a long weekend…. Should I just add on 2 nights here…..
or switch to Biltmore or Boulders.

Thanks.
I have a free night certificate also
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by shanna135
Looking at using some Aspire free nights. We would lay around the pool and go out to eat. Thanks for any help.
Originally Posted by Kacee
The locations are really different. Boulders is in Carefree, on the far northern edge of the Phoenix metro area, whereas the Biltmore is in the center of Phoenix. Boulders is in a beautiful natural setting, with desert landscaping, whereas Biltmore is more of an urban resort. If you want to explore restaurants, Biltmore is the better choice. If you want to feel like you're out in the desert, it's Boulders. Both properties have their issues, neither is especially generous with elite benefits.
Originally Posted by Kerrirdh
Hi,
I have a wedding in October at the Hilton Scottsdale resort and village.staying 2 nights.

gonna make it a long weekend…. Should I just add on 2 nights here…..
or switch to Biltmore or Boulders.

Thanks.
I have a free night certificate also
Not that I would make it my deciding factor, but you will get a bigger daily credit at the Biltmore.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Not that I would make it my deciding factor, but you will get a bigger daily credit at the Biltmore.

would you say the setting at Hilton Scottsdale resort and vilas is more similar to Boulders or Biltmore?
thanks
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
would you say the setting at Hilton Scottsdale resort and vilas is more similar to Boulders or Biltmore?
thanks
I don't know. I have only every stayed at the Biltmore.

Just looking at pictures online, I would say neither.
Kerrirdh likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
thanks
Yeah, neither, really. It's not a high end resort. But it's in the middle of a highly developed urban area, so more like Biltmore. Nothing like Boulders.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The Hilton Scottsdale resort is ok, but didn’t impress me as anything out of the ordinary.

I enjoyed the Boulders a great deal more than I did the Biltmore. I found the Biltmore overrated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.