Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have always found the service and the food selection at the Conrad EL to be very good ( my last visit was in Jan 2019) ( I have not tried the breakfast downstairs as the EL food was more than adequate) The evening snacks have been very good . I did think that the afternoon tea selection was not as good as that at the Hilton EL in Shinjuku ( have not been since the Hilton EL has been renovated)

I personally found the rooms to be in excellent condition (similar to the Conrad Osaka) and loved the Bay view suite- but do appreciate that due to the shape of the building the lower floors ( 30) sees less of the nearby garden than the higher floors.

In Jan 2018 ( just before the coming of age holiday) the lounge had a waiting time of 1hr so gave up and went out ( did not have this problem in 2019)

The Conrad is a higher standard than the Hilton but depending on your location plans the Hilton can be handier.

I am planning on coming back to Japan in late november ( seeing some of the Christmas decorations) and would love to stay at the Conrad but the main problem is the price;

Hilton: 27000Y per night ( 24-30 Nov)
Conrad 72000 Y Per night ( same date -standard city view room)
both befoe taxes and service charge
Whilst the Conrad is a better hotel it is not worth 2.5x the Hilton IMHO ( and GBP 500+ is too much)

( also note the pool will be closed from 6-10 jan 2020 with the gym closed 6-7 jan)

Regards

TBS
antebellum likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I have always found the service and the food selection at the Conrad EL to be very good ( my last visit was in Jan 2019) ( I have not tried the breakfast downstairs as the EL food was more than adequate) The evening snacks have been very good . I did think that the afternoon tea selection was not as good as that at the Hilton EL in Shinjuku ( have not been since the Hilton EL has been renovated)

I personally found the rooms to be in excellent condition (similar to the Conrad Osaka) and loved the Bay view suite- but do appreciate that due to the shape of the building the lower floors ( 30) sees less of the nearby garden than the higher floors.

In Jan 2018 ( just before the coming of age holiday) the lounge had a waiting time of 1hr so gave up and went out ( did not have this problem in 2019)

The Conrad is a higher standard than the Hilton but depending on your location plans the Hilton can be handier.

I am planning on coming back to Japan in late november ( seeing some of the Christmas decorations) and would love to stay at the Conrad but the main problem is the price;

Whilst the Conrad is a better hotel it is not worth 2.5x the Hilton IMHO ( and GBP 500+ is too much)

( also note the pool will be closed from 6-10 jan 2020 with the gym closed 6-7 jan)

Regards

TBS
What do you think about doing the conrad over the hilton using a weekend cert or points as a diamond? I have stayed at the conrad before but never the tokyo hilton. Point difference is 35k.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red259
What do you think about doing the conrad over the hilton using a weekend cert or points as a diamond? I have stayed at the conrad before but never the tokyo hilton. Point difference is 35k.
Hi,

Have not stayed at the Hilton as a diamond ( as a gold I paid for an EL room at the Hilton to guarantee access) but in Jan this year ( I was moved from a Bay view to a Bay view suite with nice views of the bay after the first night which was excellent ( liked the underfloor heating in the suite bathroom). Being a weeked ( lots of staycationers in Tokyo)? may lower your chances of an upgrade.

I have not been to the Hilton since the refurbished EL opened ( but the location is pretty good) .

Depending on your plans for sightseeing or business the Conrad/Hilton might be more convenient.

The Conrad is closer to HND for transport but the bus from the Hilton to NRT is pretty good.

The pools are about the same dimensions but the 29th floor pool at the Conrad can offer a view of the skytree at one end,

If you have sufficient points then both will be good experiences and with no preference over the location I would go for the Conrad ( if only to say you have tried it)

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:39 pm

Hi,

Have not stayed at the Hilton as a diamond but in Jan this year ( I was moved from a Bay view to a Bay view suite with nice views of the bay after the first night which was excellent ( liked the underfloor heating in the suite bathroom). Being a weeked ( lots of staycationers in Tokyo)? may lower your chances of an upgrade.

I have not been to the Hilton since the refurbished EL opened ( but the location is pretty good) .

Depending on your plans for sightseeing or business the Conrad/Hilton might be more convenient.

The Conrad is closer to HND for transport but the bus from the Hilton to NRT is pretty good.

The pools are about the same dimensions but the 29th floor pool at the Conrad can offer a view of the skytree at one end,

If you have sufficient points then both will be good experiences and with no preference over the location I would go for the Conrad ( if only to say you have tried it)

Regards

TBS
Do you have Amex plat? Conrad has a 3 nights for the price of 2 deal with FHR, and I'm seeing rooms for like $400 a night ish during your dates and you also get $125 credit.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NightFury1
Do you have Amex plat? Conrad has a 3 nights for the price of 2 deal with FHR, and I'm seeing rooms for like $400 a night ish during your dates and you also get $125 credit.

Hi,

Thanks for that Nightfury1! I do have the Amex plat so will look into it.

Regards

TBS

PS I have had a look and it is coming out at GBP 478 ( c $583) per night Mon-Fri ( and if you include the Sun and Friday night it jumps to GBP 600 pn) but thanks anyway.
The pricing for the WA Las Vegas in late September is more reasonable ( plus a 4pm late check out- useful for a 9pm flight back to LHR) so might consider LAS for a late summer break

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Aug 11, 2019 at 2:35 pm
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Definitely a suite upgrade is not an entitlement for Diamond members but I have asked nicely on a number of stays: "By any chance, is a suite upgrade during my stay" and have had positive results on more than one occasion. I certainly don't think it is rude to ask and staff never seem to take it as rude. They will either respond with "unfortunately, no" or "let me see what I can do". But certainly not something you are entitled to, just a bonus if you get one.
FWIW, I stayed in the Conrad earlier this month. Was preupgraded to executive room. Asked politely at checkin whether a suite was available and was upgraded to a bay view suite without hesitation. I find this approach works more often than not at Hiltons and Conrads even though I am never pre upgraded to a suite. Service at this hotel is excellent. I didn't like the location though.
NW-A332 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:08 pm

Hi,

Thanks for that Nightfury1! I do have the Amex plat so will look into it.

Regards

TBS

PS I have had a look and it is coming out at GBP 478 ( c $583) per night Mon-Fri ( and if you include the Sun and Friday night it jumps to GBP 600 pn) but thanks anyway.
The pricing for the WA Las Vegas in late September is more reasonable ( plus a 4pm late check out- useful for a 9pm flight back to LHR) so might consider LAS for a late summer break
Did you check night by night? You have to check 3 days at a time in order to get the 3rd night free promo to be counted. I swear I saw the per room nights were like $600, but with the 3 nights combined it should come out to be $400.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Hi,

Regards

TBS
1. Definitely not worth the price premium, in this case.
2. When I stayed in Conrad (early January), they closed the pools too. I suppose it's around the same time period every year. However Conrad check-in was nice enough to give me 500 points as compensation.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. Prices are coming down ( Y 21,600 for Hilton and Y50,330 for Conrad) and can get the Conrad for the 24/26 Nov for Y48k. Might split my stay now.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I had made reservations for December, but we've had to postpone our trip to June. However, there are zero rooms available at this property after the month of May. Does anyone else see rooms here? I'm not even seeing any for Diamond Guarantee.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:43 pm

Keep in mind the summer Olympics may be related. Olympics begin 7/23.
TravelLawyer and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi
The Conrad looks sold out ( or awards not available) but other hiltons in tokyo show availability and reaonable cash rates ( ie the Hilton Tokyo Shinjuku is 70k pts or 22k Yen for 15th to 18th Jun)

Regards

TBS
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
I had made reservations for December, but we've had to postpone our trip to June. However, there are zero rooms available at this property after the month of May. Does anyone else see rooms here? I'm not even seeing any for Diamond Guarantee.
Not sure what's going on with Conrad.
I asked them about next summer when I stayed in July. They said that next July-Aug will be blocked out for Olympics. But they didn't say anything about June.
It's possible that they'll release rooms down the road for June, although it's hard to say.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
Not sure what's going on with Conrad.
I asked them about next summer when I stayed in July. They said that next July-Aug will be blocked out for Olympics. But they didn't say anything about June.
It's possible that they'll release rooms down the road for June, although it's hard to say.
I'm hoping at some point they open up some availability (for any of the 5 Hilton/Conrad Tokyo hotels). I understand there is high demand for the Olympics, but I'm not even seeing packages with these hotels included. So unless they're all being used for athletes, or other organizational (large volume) bookings, I would think some rooms should come available at some point. At least that is what I am hoping.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Yes, we are looking for early June - which is nearly 7 weeks before the olympics. Hoping that the hotel will release availability - because if no one is able to even book at all under any option, how are they gauging occupancy?

We have tentatively booked the Hilton shinjuku for now, but I did not have a great experience staying there in 2016. (The manager on duty was arguing with me about elite upgrades, even though hotel was not sold out and they were selling upgraded rooms online - I had booked best room category immediately under junior suite, but they wouldn’t give it to me.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.