Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Whistler Resort & Spa {CAN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Whistler Resort & Spa {CAN}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Lots of days for Dec for this place on PS's right now.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:49 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Lots of days for Dec for this place on PS's right now.
Yes, but only a King standard not even a double and the not so popular 30 days non refundable cancellation policy.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: DL-PLATINUM, HH-DIAMOND
Originally Posted by birdyy
I just tried the Diamond Desk but they were only offering standard rooms. So, are you saying I would probably not get the standard room? They also said that only a King standard (no kitchen) was available even though doubles are available for a paid stay. I didn't push the Diamond force yet because on top of that, they want a 30 day non refundable deposit. I haven't stayed at a Hilton in a while but what's the deal with a 30 day cancellation policy. That's a total joke.

You're right, you get none of that nonsense at Westin. Hilton needs to take a few lessons.
Have booked rewards at this hotel 5 times. As a Gold and Diamond have been upgraded for free and also given the option of a paid upgrade. There are only a handful of "standard" rooms so unlikely they will even have that inventory when you check in!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Yes, but only a King standard not even a double and the not so popular 30 days non refundable cancellation policy.
30 days, that's ridiculous. Sounds like recent changes are afoot.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:03 am

Programs: DL-PLATINUM, HH-DIAMOND
This hilton has had the 30days cancellation penalty for award stays for at least the past 2 years.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BDABOY
This hilton has had the 30days cancellation penalty for award stays for at least the past 2 years.
Yes but they don't actually charge a cancellation deposit up front do they? I wasn't charged up front when I had my stay there but I was aware of the cancellation fee and conditions. I also expected to be charged upfront but it never happened, so I am not sure whether I was just lucky or there is some confusion about the normal practice (i.e. you only get charged if you cancel within the 30 days). I have no real issue with a long cancellation for a resort property with a very limited peak season and where rooms during this time are valuable commodities.

I can't work out quite what the problem is with standard rooms. When I last booked at the Hilton Whistler the problem I had was that they had no standard rooms left available so I couldn't book. My issue was that since only 8 rooms out of 200+ (or way less than 5% of all rooms) were "standard", the standard room category is just a device to limit redemption awards. Of the standard rooms some are "handicapped accessible" which limits the real number still further IIRC.

After much arguing and escalation I was able to book a Queen with Kitchen. I would hate to actually occupy one of these rooms as it seems to essentially be a standard room with kitchen facilities. HH though will only ever issue a redemption in the standard room category, you then either roll the upgrade dice or agree to extra payment per night (charge only due at the end of your stay like any room charges).

So is the issue that they have no standard rooms available (in which case you need to go down the Diamond Force/escalation route) or is it that they will only issue an award in a "standard" room (which would be standard practice if you pardon the pun)?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:26 pm
Original Member

And now the Westin is doing the same thing. First year doing so. I've stayed there half dozen times and this has never been an issue. I don't mind a one night (for points) cancellation policy but I believe the Westin Whistler is 25,000 points for any cancellation less than 30 days out. Nice treat for the most loyal of us, isn't it.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:31 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Yes but they don't actually charge a cancellation deposit up front do they? I wasn't charged up front when I had my stay there but I was aware of the cancellation fee and conditions. I also expected to be charged upfront but it never happened, so I am not sure whether I was just lucky or there is some confusion about the normal practice (i.e. you only get charged if you cancel within the 30 days). I have no real issue with a long cancellation for a resort property with a very limited peak season and where rooms during this time are valuable commodities.

I can't work out quite what the problem is with standard rooms. When I last booked at the Hilton Whistler the problem I had was that they had no standard rooms left available so I couldn't book. My issue was that since only 8 rooms out of 200+ (or way less than 5% of all rooms) were "standard", the standard room category is just a device to limit redemption awards. Of the standard rooms some are "handicapped accessible" which limits the real number still further IIRC.

After much arguing and escalation I was able to book a Queen with Kitchen. I would hate to actually occupy one of these rooms as it seems to essentially be a standard room with kitchen facilities. HH though will only ever issue a redemption in the standard room category, you then either roll the upgrade dice or agree to extra payment per night (charge only due at the end of your stay like any room charges).

So is the issue that they have no standard rooms available (in which case you need to go down the Diamond Force/escalation route) or is it that they will only issue an award in a "standard" room (which would be standard practice if you pardon the pun)?
For the time I needed they only had a King standard room available. I asked if they can do a Diamond Force for a double but she wouldn't. I could've pushed but wasn't 100% sure about my plans. I would assume that request is not so outrageous that it couldn't be done.

I see the problem with the 8 standard rooms. It sure does seem like a way to limit redemption.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:32 pm
Original Member

Have booked rewards at this hotel 5 times. As a Gold and Diamond have been upgraded for free and also given the option of a paid upgrade. There are only a handful of "standard" rooms so unlikely they will even have that inventory when you check in!
Have you ever done an award stay for the first week of the year? If so, were you upgraded?

Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the time I needed they only had a King standard room available. I asked if they can do a Diamond Force for a double but she wouldn't. I could've pushed but wasn't 100% sure about my plans. I would assume that request is not so outrageous that it couldn't be done.

I see the problem with the 8 standard rooms. It sure does seem like a way to limit redemption.
Am I missing something or isn't a King better than a double? Do you mean a twin? I don't think they have many twin rooms at this property. the Exec Rooms/Junior Suites however have a sofabed which achieves much the same thing. You can upgrade to one of these in advance for a small fee. They would probably accommodate your request for a given bed type but they won't guarantee this in advance for a redemption (especially at a busy period where their system is showing no availability for the given room type).

You cannot Diamond force a room type only availability of a standard room if the property is sold out of standard rooms. So they will commit to giving you a room for 2 (usually) but not specify King, Double or Twin. I really don't see why anyone would want a "Double" over a King, the difference is marginal at best (I could see why someone would want a King over a double though, as I would always go for this). If you want a twin then pay the smallish upgrade cost to move to an Executive room.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Dec 7, 2010 at 5:09 am
Old Dec 7, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Have you ever done an award stay for the first week of the year? If so, were you upgraded?

Thanks.
Christmas and around the new year are typically very busy times here which mean your upgrade chances decline. Shorter length of stays have a better chance of an upgrade.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:07 am

Interesting. I was there 3 years ago and for sure they didn't have it then, so sounds like you are right about the 2 years ago.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:59 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
Christmas and around the new year are typically very busy times here which mean your upgrade chances decline. Shorter length of stays have a better chance of an upgrade.
I go almost every year during this time or a little earlier in Dec but have always only stayed at the Westin. Never had a problem upgrading. I wondered if it was the same at Hilton.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 6:04 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Am I missing something or isn't a King better than a double? Do you mean a twin? I don't think they have many twin rooms at this property. the Exec Rooms/Junior Suites however have a sofabed which achieves much the same thing. You can upgrade to one of these in advance for a small fee. They would probably accommodate your request for a given bed type but they won't guarantee this in advance for a redemption (especially at a busy period where their system is showing no availability for the given room type).

You cannot Diamond force a room type only availability of a standard room if the property is sold out of standard rooms. So they will commit to giving you a room for 2 (usually) but not specify King, Double or Twin. I really don't see why anyone would want a "Double" over a King, the difference is marginal at best (I could see why someone would want a King over a double though, as I would always go for this). If you want a twin then pay the smallish upgrade cost to move to an Executive room.
Thanks for clarifying. I haven't redeemed for Hilton points in forever and maybe never at a place so tight with standard rooms.

I want a double (two queen beds) because I travel with my sister.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I want a double (two queen beds) because I travel with my sister.
A double means something entirely different here in Europe it generally means one queen type bed for 2 people sharing, hence the confusion.

The Exec Fireplace rooms give you what you are looking for with a sofabed and a King bed, I think they notionally sleep 4. From my rough comparisons they are similar to a standard studio suite at the Westin Whistler except perhaps they are rather bigger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.