Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton now selling upgrades to Gold/Diamond. End of complimentary upgrades imminent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton now selling upgrades to Gold/Diamond. End of complimentary upgrades imminent?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2022, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
I've been seeing in-app upgrade offers the entire year, so I'm not sure why it's mentioned that this is new? I've seen in-app offers and gotten upgraded for free upon check in anyway, as well as in-app in spite of Hilton selling room upgrades. I doubt many customers are biting because they're expensive for little value. I don't go to hotels to stare out the window at a beautiful view.
I wouldn't pay for an upgraded view. But when traveling with family larger room upgrades are nice.

I am a strong believer in book a room you are happy with. Book a 1 bedroom and hope for a 2 bedroom, sure. But I'd never book a single room for a family of 6
kevino likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Schnit
I wouldn't pay for an upgraded view. But when traveling with family larger room upgrades are nice.

I am a strong believer in book a room you are happy with. Book a 1 bedroom and hope for a 2 bedroom, sure. But I'd never book a single room for a family of 6
I don't have kids but as you said, I wouldn't rely on the upgrade mechanism to get a bigger room if I did. I also think Hilton does have a guest limit on 1 bedroom rooms (I think it's four but maybe five for certain properties).
Old Oct 19, 2022, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
I don't have kids but as you said, I wouldn't rely on the upgrade mechanism to get a bigger room if I did. I also think Hilton does have a guest limit on 1 bedroom rooms (I think it's four but maybe five for certain properties).
Not always. I just checked. London Hilton Bankside Penthouse Suite sleeps 2
Old Oct 20, 2022, 12:34 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The hotel room upgrade has got to be the most useless perk for me as a business traveler. Give me a bed, a desk and a toilet/shower. I dont need a living room.

Never understood the allure of this, nor the consternation around not receiving one.
Of course, each person has their own needs and desires. When I travel for business I enjoy the separation between my bed and my work area, particularly if I am in a trial and have tons of files to manager. In fact, depending on the suite, it may even be appropriate for meeting clients.
dw, kevino and hbtr like this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 8:57 am
CJN
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, United MileagePlus Platinum
Originally Posted by Schnit

I always book/pay for suites when it's higher priority. But it's still a bit dismaying that it looks like they're encouraging franchisees to monetize upgrades. It's not even about the room itself - it's about being appreciated for spending 60+ nights/year with the brand. I always felt like the upgrades were the biggest sign of recognition we got as elites (even if it's just a view of the ocean as opposed to the parking lot).
dw and the810 like this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
If Hilton expects a conversion rate for Gold/Diamond members, who are accustomed to complimentary upgrades, anywhere near that of the base/Silver members in their past trial, well lets prove them wrong.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:22 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
You have 10 upgrades available. Before they'd just allocate them all as comp upgrades to Gold/Diamond. Now, 5 go out as comp upgrades via the system 3 days before stays. 5 more upgrades go in the system as "pay for upgrade" to base/Silver/Gold/Diamond.

If even one Gold/Diamond pays for the upgrade, Hilton wins.
If even one base/Silver pays for the upgrade, Hilton wins.

So what if the other 40 Gold/Diamond on property a given night don't pay for the upgrade, and just get whatever room the book. Hilton wins.

Bottom line, as other here have said, book the room you want.

I still expect some properties to give upgrades though... similar to the really bad execution on the food credit for gold/diamond, it is difficult to get all of these properties on the same page.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:23 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
If Hilton expects a conversion rate for Gold/Diamond members, who are accustomed to complimentary upgrades, anywhere near that of the base/Silver members in their past trial, well lets prove them wrong.
Even a 5% conversion rate and... they win.

You figure they've already annoyed/run off how many Gold/Diamond with the awful execution of the food credit in the US. This is just another little thing. Almost as if they are trying to get rid of Gold/Diamond guests.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Even a 5% conversion rate and... they win.

You figure they've already annoyed/run off how many Gold/Diamond with the awful execution of the food credit in the US.
I figure - outside of the FT Hilton forum echo chamber - that they've "run off" very few gold/diamonds with that awful program.

I despise that food credit, but I'm sitting here typing this from a Hilton. I've stopped spending money on on-site dining because of that stupid credit, but it doesn't stop me from booking Hilton portfolio hotels when they make sense for the trip.

Last edited by bse118; Oct 21, 2022 at 7:59 am
Old Oct 23, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Looking at online check-in for a stay starting tomorrow. This is an HGI where upgrades are not a Diamond benefit, but I have received complementary upgrades before.

Counting the total rooms available, there are 70+ unoccupied rooms. Rather than upgrade a repeat customer, the only options are to buy up.

Old Oct 23, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Looks like this might be mostly aimed at the US market? Hopefully they can keep it along with their F&B credit....
Old Oct 23, 2022, 5:12 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by aww3583
Looking at online check-in for a stay starting tomorrow. This is an HGI where upgrades are not a Diamond benefit, but I have received complementary upgrades before.

Counting the total rooms available, there are 70+ unoccupied rooms. Rather than upgrade a repeat customer, the only options are to buy up.

The sad thing is, I would definitely pay the $20 for the suite upgrade. (The pricing is totally off in general though- who would pay the $25 for the other rooms that come with some crappy packaged snacks?)
Old Oct 23, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dw
The sad thing is, I would definitely pay the $20 for the suite upgrade. (The pricing is totally off in general though- who would pay the $25 for the other rooms that come with some crappy packaged snacks?)
This is a work trip, so upgrades come out of my pocket, and Im only needing somewhere to rest my head.

I have a 7-day stay at a large resort coming up. Did a dummy booking last night and plenty of suites are available. Im interested to see what offers, if any, will be made.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 7:11 pm

For what its worth -
stayed at the Rockwall Hilton last night. Booked a normal king room, no early indication of an upgrade etc. I didnt care. However upon check in, we were upgraded to the King Suite with Balcony. I saw they were available on the site for around $400 more than I paid. So it seems like its not effecting upgrades when available for diamonds. and there was a MASSIVE event at the resort that night.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 8:21 pm

No difference at all now, and I stay at multiple properties most weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.