Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton now selling upgrades to Gold/Diamond. End of complimentary upgrades imminent?

Hilton now selling upgrades to Gold/Diamond. End of complimentary upgrades imminent?

Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:09 pm
CJN
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, United MileagePlus Platinum

EXCLUSIVE: Hilton Starts Selling Upgrades To Gold And Diamond Members

• Digital check-in upsells for elites. Honors Gold and Diamond members are supposed to receive upgrades. However, while hotels are allowed to upgrade to suites they are not required to do so. That’s a more limited benefit than what’s offered by Marriott and Hyatt.

Beginning today, paid upgrade offers that have been tested with base and silver members during digital check-in will be offered to Gold and Diamond members as well. As Hilton explained in an internal document reviewed by View From The Wing, “[t]his will offer Elite members the ability to choose a paid upgrade when they check-in via the mobile app.”

Looks like a pretty significant devaluation to status is on the horizon. If this is the beginning of the end for complimentary upgrades I don't know that there's any use to loyalty anymore.

Free breakfast? Properties never apply the F&B credits correctly - it's a constant hassle of having to scan your bill and calling the hotel the next day.

Executive Lounge? They're all closed.

This was the one last perk that enticed me to stay with Hilton.

Last edited by CJN; Oct 18, 2022 at 5:23 pm
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by CJN
EXCLUSIVE: Hilton Starts Selling Upgrades To Gold And Diamond Members

Looks like a pretty significant devaluation to status is on the horizon. If this is the beginning of the end for complimentary upgrades I don't know that there's any use to loyalty anymore.

Free breakfast? Properties never apply the F&B credits correctly - it's a constant hassle of having to scan your bill and calling the hotel the next day.

Executive Lounge? They're all closed.

This was the one last perk that enticed me to stay with Hilton.
It might be helpful to quote part of VFTW article to make it clearer, and not just clickbait.

Hilton has for years offered NOR1 upgrades online, for all members. Never booked one yet. Plenty of lounges are still open. Maybe not so many in the US, but there are many Hiltons outside the US. If my favorite Hiltons really get rid of complimentary upgrades, then theyll lose out.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:29 pm
CJN
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, United MileagePlus Platinum
Updated my post with the relevant text from the article.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:46 pm

The question is how this upsell is set up. Is this across the board? If the upsell price is exactly the price difference between room booked and the upsell room, no one will take the bait. If I am at London Conrad and booked a cheap room, then they offer the Conrad Suite to me for another $200, I will take it. Better yet. If you booked the Conrad Suite and they offer the P suite for another $300. Usually price difference between Conrad Suite and P Suite is 2x to 4X
becks1 and rt23456p like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
As I've said before - upgrades are mostly irrelevant for me, don't find them that meaningful or useful when I do get them, certainly won't pay for them. YMMV.
royalbrett and joeyE like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
I’ve seen these recently in the app.

One of the tiles on the main display of your stay says “request upgrade”. In the past, tapping this usually just popped up an alert saying “thanks we’ll do our best”

Recently, tapping that button takes you to a new page where the various upsells are listed. I think these should be available to view for Diamonds at 72-hours from check-in, then golds and silvers each 24 hours after that.

I’m a road warrior with 80% of my stays in Hamptons, HGIs. We burn our points on nicer properties and the occasional upgrade is always appreciated. Having to pay for these adds an interesting option… guaranteed upgrade for a fee, or play the upgrade lottery at no expense.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:24 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by aww3583
Ive seen these recently in the app.

One of the tiles on the main display of your stay says request upgrade. In the past, tapping this usually just popped up an alert saying thanks well do our best

Recently, tapping that button takes you to a new page where the various upsells are listed. I think these should be available to view for Diamonds at 72-hours from check-in, then golds and silvers each 24 hours after that.

Im a road warrior with 80% of my stays in Hamptons, HGIs. We burn our points on nicer properties and the occasional upgrade is always appreciated. Having to pay for these adds an interesting option guaranteed upgrade for a fee, or play the upgrade lottery at no expense.
Sounds a lot like the airlines.
kevino, hi55us, becks1 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Always had the option to pay for an upgrade with Hilton in the app, as someone above pointed out

Have a stay in 6 days in the Hilton Miami Downtown, got our first free upgrade yesterday (on all 3 rooms, and my name/account is the only one on all 3 rooms)
kevino and rt23456p like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:44 pm

I'm guessing nobody knows since this is new info, but any idea if it will fall along the same patterns of "mostly in the US, Asia will still be competitive for free upgrades?"

Asia is a lot more competitive than the US in the hospitality industry. Good luck to Hilton if they get get rid of comp upgrades in Asia too
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alany611
I'm guessing nobody knows since this is new info, but any idea if it will fall along the same patterns of "mostly in the US, Asia will still be competitive for free upgrades?"

Asia is a lot more competitive than the US in the hospitality industry. Good luck to Hilton if they get get rid of comp upgrades in Asia too
Given paid upgrades have always been available via Nor1 or whatever its called I don't think it'll change anything in Asia.

By the way I thought the US was a lot more competitive- hence why its comparably less service driven?
Old Oct 19, 2022, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The hotel room upgrade has got to be the most useless perk for me as a business traveler. Give me a bed, a desk and a toilet/shower. I dont need a living room.

Never understood the allure of this, nor the consternation around not receiving one.
cblaisd, Redhead, fatmac70 and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
First experience with this new paid upgrade program. Ofcourse, the hotel did not give an upgrade in advance anymore. Every upgrade is ridiculous expensive.

Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:39 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I don't understand this. It seems like they were always supposed to offer a comp upgrade to Gold/Diamond if a room was available. Of course, that was not always the case.

So will they be allocating a certain number of rooms for comp upgrade and a certain number of rooms for paid upgrade? I wonder how this will work.

I've gotten quite a few Suites at Hampton Inns over the years; a few times at HGIs too. I felt like Executive upgrades were more common on weekends when fewer business travelers were around, in years past. Now, everything is different.

Hilton sort of behaves like it doesn't care about elites much anymore. I think there are so many leisure travelers at this point... paying incredibly high rates, far higher than the industry ever dreamed they'd pay pre-COVID...
Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jongesander
First experience with this new paid upgrade program. Ofcourse, the hotel did not give an upgrade in advance anymore. Every upgrade is ridiculous expensive.

Wow. But as long as a Diamond member ends up with executive lounge access, does it really matter if Hilton tried to sell an upgrade via an App that nobody is forced to use?
Old Oct 19, 2022, 4:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Wow. But as long as a Diamond member ends up with executive lounge access, does it really matter if Hilton tried to sell an upgrade via an App that nobody is forced to use?
It depends. In this case, I don't care about any upgrade (besides the fact a token of appreciation for my loyalty) at this specific occasion. But for other stays the impact will be more significant: you pay for an upgrade first and then they see if they want to upgrade you any further. So my guess is that complimentary upgrades to Executive Rooms for Gold members will be less common. Complimentary suite upgrades for Diamond will be more rare as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.