Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton McLean Tysons {US-VA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Surprised to see there wasn't a thread for this property; it was reflagged to a Doubletree in 2017. Apologies if I've missed a thread or am violating new-thread protocols.

In my travels I've stayed here a few times over the years, both as when it was a Crowne Plaza and after the reflag. The pros are that it has a great location if you have business in Tyson's -- it's right across the street from the malls and parking in the Before Times was a lot easier than some other places.

This past weekend, the DT was offering one of the lowest prices in the area from a full-service property, without going far off into the suburbs, like out by Dulles. However, the April 2021 service levels lag limited-service property offerings.

As HH Diamond, I received free parking (snagged a spot right outside the front door) and comp'd grab-and-go breakfast. There is a coffee machine and the front-desk clerk apologetically said he needed to charge me for the coffee. Note, the on-property restaurant is open for dinner during the weekdays, so providing this level of service is a choice.

This is a sprawling property and I do love the murals (old Virginia maps) in the rooms. It's a Doubletree with character! I did not receive a discernible upgrade, nor was one available when I asked at check-in.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:22 pm

Thanks for this - did not even put one and one together and realize that the old Crowne Plaza had reflagged.

In the absence of real travel I’ve been doing a lot of random weekend nights local to DC, so maybe I will check it out.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by QuantumMeruit
Surprised to see there wasn't a thread for this property; it was reflagged to a Doubletree in 2017. Apologies if I've missed a thread or am violating new-thread protocols.

In my travels I've stayed here a few times over the years, both as when it was a Crowne Plaza and after the reflag. The pros are that it has a great location if you have business in Tyson's -- it's right across the street from the malls and parking in the Before Times was a lot easier than some other places.

This past weekend, the DT was offering one of the lowest prices in the area from a full-service property, without going far off into the suburbs, like out by Dulles. However, the April 2021 service levels lag limited-service property offerings.

As HH Diamond, I received free parking (snagged a spot right outside the front door) and comp'd grab-and-go breakfast. There is a coffee machine and the front-desk clerk apologetically said he needed to charge me for the coffee. Note, the on-property restaurant is open for dinner during the weekdays, so providing this level of service is a choice.

This is a sprawling property and I do love the murals (old Virginia maps) in the rooms. It's a Doubletree with character! I did not receive a discernible upgrade, nor was one available when I asked at check-in.
So $10 self park fee is waived for Diamonds?

David
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
This property was originally a Holiday Inn before it became a Crowne Plaza a little over a decade ago. And when did they start charging for parking, when the Metro station nearby opened up? Fee for parking seems to be the new revenue-generator for a lot of suburban hotels that used to provide it for free. Next thing you'll see is an "amenity fee" at these locations.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 1:12 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Back in my mattress running days, once it became a DT, it gave me several cheap options. HGI, this DT, and a HL all within walking distance (a healthy walk) of each other.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Back in my mattress running days, once it became a DT, nice options. HGI, this DT, and a HL all within walking distance (a healthy walk) of each other.
HL?

David
Old Apr 19, 2021, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Fee for parking seems to be the new revenue-generator for a lot of suburban hotels that used to provide it for free
Tysons isn't really suburban at this point, considering that it's home to the region's tallest buildings and many large corporate headquarters. It has densified by a significant amount and is really a standalone urban center.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:44 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
HL?

David
Hilton McLean Tysons Corner
Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
So $10 self park fee is waived for Diamonds?
That was my experience this past weekend, yes.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by QuantumMeruit
There is another DT closer to IAD at Sterling with more character in the way of a rare exec lounge at a DT !
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
There is another DT closer to IAD at Sterling with more character in the way of a rare exec lounge at a DT !
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport {US-VA}

Note that the exec lounge was not operating last time I was there (end of July 2020).

David
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Any recent stays here? Debating between here or the Hilton. Anything walkable in the area or are the roads too busy?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by dmarge18
Any recent stays here? Debating between here or the Hilton. Anything walkable in the area or are the roads too busy?
No recent stays, but live in the area. The Hilton is a pretty nice property because it's right next to HQ; they sometimes use it as a testbed for new features.

Tysons is becoming more walkable than it used to be, which I suppose isn't saying much, but one can walk in the area if they just take their time and are careful. From the Hilton, it's a very easy walk - all sidewalks and right turns - to the Capital One development (with Wegmans, Starr Hill Biergarten, Wren). Also easy to walk to the back side of Tysons Galleria. From the DT you have to cross Int'l Drive - so a very big road - but then you're right at Tysons Galleria. Or cross Chain Bridge and you're at Tysons I.
dmarge18 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.