Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton McLean Tysons {US-VA}

DoubleTree by Hilton McLean Tysons {US-VA}

Old Apr 18, 21, 6:50 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 128
DoubleTree by Hilton McLean Tysons {US-VA}

Surprised to see there wasn't a thread for this property; it was reflagged to a Doubletree in 2017. Apologies if I've missed a thread or am violating new-thread protocols.

In my travels I've stayed here a few times over the years, both as when it was a Crowne Plaza and after the reflag. The pros are that it has a great location if you have business in Tyson's -- it's right across the street from the malls and parking in the Before Times was a lot easier than some other places.

This past weekend, the DT was offering one of the lowest prices in the area from a full-service property, without going far off into the suburbs, like out by Dulles. However, the April 2021 service levels lag limited-service property offerings.

As HH Diamond, I received free parking (snagged a spot right outside the front door) and comp'd grab-and-go breakfast. There is a coffee machine and the front-desk clerk apologetically said he needed to charge me for the coffee. Note, the on-property restaurant is open for dinner during the weekdays, so providing this level of service is a choice.

This is a sprawling property and I do love the murals (old Virginia maps) in the rooms. It's a Doubletree with character! I did not receive a discernible upgrade, nor was one available when I asked at check-in.
QuantumMeruit is offline  
Old Apr 18, 21, 2:22 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DCA
Posts: 7,056
Thanks for this - did not even put one and one together and realize that the old Crowne Plaza had reflagged.

In the absence of real travel Iíve been doing a lot of random weekend nights local to DC, so maybe I will check it out.
arlflyer is offline  
Old Apr 18, 21, 8:39 pm
  #3  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 7,414
Originally Posted by QuantumMeruit View Post
Surprised to see there wasn't a thread for this property; it was reflagged to a Doubletree in 2017. Apologies if I've missed a thread or am violating new-thread protocols.

In my travels I've stayed here a few times over the years, both as when it was a Crowne Plaza and after the reflag. The pros are that it has a great location if you have business in Tyson's -- it's right across the street from the malls and parking in the Before Times was a lot easier than some other places.

This past weekend, the DT was offering one of the lowest prices in the area from a full-service property, without going far off into the suburbs, like out by Dulles. However, the April 2021 service levels lag limited-service property offerings.

As HH Diamond, I received free parking (snagged a spot right outside the front door) and comp'd grab-and-go breakfast. There is a coffee machine and the front-desk clerk apologetically said he needed to charge me for the coffee. Note, the on-property restaurant is open for dinner during the weekdays, so providing this level of service is a choice.

This is a sprawling property and I do love the murals (old Virginia maps) in the rooms. It's a Doubletree with character! I did not receive a discernible upgrade, nor was one available when I asked at check-in.
So $10 self park fee is waived for Diamonds?

David
DELee is offline  
Old Apr 18, 21, 10:03 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Usually in SAN or Central Europe.
Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Posts: 21,986
This property was originally a Holiday Inn before it became a Crowne Plaza a little over a decade ago. And when did they start charging for parking, when the Metro station nearby opened up? Fee for parking seems to be the new revenue-generator for a lot of suburban hotels that used to provide it for free. Next thing you'll see is an "amenity fee" at these locations.
Fanjet is offline  
Old Apr 19, 21, 1:12 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cote d'Ivoire
Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Posts: 3,181
Back in my mattress running days, once it became a DT, it gave me several cheap options. HGI, this DT, and a HL all within walking distance (a healthy walk) of each other.
Abidjan is offline  
Old Apr 19, 21, 1:14 am
  #6  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 7,414
Originally Posted by Abidjan View Post
Back in my mattress running days, once it became a DT, nice options. HGI, this DT, and a HL all within walking distance (a healthy walk) of each other.
HL?

David
DELee is offline  
Old Apr 19, 21, 3:28 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DCA
Posts: 7,056
Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
Fee for parking seems to be the new revenue-generator for a lot of suburban hotels that used to provide it for free
Tysons isn't really suburban at this point, considering that it's home to the region's tallest buildings and many large corporate headquarters. It has densified by a significant amount and is really a standalone urban center.
arlflyer is offline  
Old Apr 19, 21, 6:44 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cote d'Ivoire
Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Posts: 3,181
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
HL?

David
Hilton McLean Tysons Corner
Abidjan is offline  
Old Apr 19, 21, 6:58 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 128
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
So $10 self park fee is waived for Diamonds?
That was my experience this past weekend, yes.
QuantumMeruit is offline  
Old Apr 19, 21, 8:46 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: ORD, HKG
Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 9,865
Originally Posted by QuantumMeruit View Post
This is a sprawling property and I do love the murals (old Virginia maps) in the rooms. It's a Doubletree with character! I did not receive a discernible upgrade, nor was one available when I asked at check-in.
There is another DT closer to IAD at Sterling with more character in the way of a rare exec lounge at a DT !
ORDnHKG is offline  
Old Apr 19, 21, 10:59 pm
  #11  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 7,414
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
There is another DT closer to IAD at Sterling with more character in the way of a rare exec lounge at a DT !
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport {US-VA}

Note that the exec lounge was not operating last time I was there (end of July 2020).

David
DELee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: