Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Doheny Beach - Dana Point {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Doheny Beach - Dana Point {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2001, 3:56 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
Arrow DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Doheny Beach - Dana Point {US-CA}

I'm thinking of planning a meeting at this hotel. Anyone stay here before?

TF
Old Jun 27, 2001, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Hello again tropicalflyer,
I was going to stay in Dana Point last year but found it to be too far away from Anaheim. From what I heard from a colleague- nice hotel with balcony and chiminey in room. Negative was having to pay parking in such a remote area.

Talk to Doubletree in advance as they can engrave cookie tins for purchase for your meeting attendees. Nice touch.

However, the hotel is better than the Dusseldorf Nikko Hotel.

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Jun 27, 2001, 8:29 am

I have stayed there many times. If you have an ocean view (if gold you will,if available),it's quite nice. If no ocean view,do not stay.Somewaht narrow rooms,but right across from ocean and very close to pier area. Nice upper level outside bar with a great view. You do pay for parking and it's often overpriced. I stayed 2 weeks ago at $115.
Other pluses;VCR,small fridge and decks with screen doors.Weather can be great this time of year, but a fog zone at others.Not a 4*,but a nice 3. Do not compare tp newer Doubletree Suites that are much nicer. Rooms are closer to Embassy Suites.
Old Jun 27, 2001, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Copied from six weeks ago (I did a search in this forum on "dana"):

I am currently at the DT Suites Dana Point CA, and it is nicely delightful. I was u/g (without asking) to the Corsica Suite. It is a large corner unit with 2 separate lanais, huge LR with fireplace, sofa, mwave, refrig, VCR tables etc. The BR has a raised whirlpool overlooking the Pacific, a shower, a bidet etc. Nice marble too. All this for $95/night. Such a deal. Sure beats any Hilton Suites I have stayed in or the never available Hyatt suites.

MisterNice

ps: the mwave does a wonderful job on the very nice choc chip cookies.......and leaves a wonderful lingering arona for sleeping (or whatever)
Old Nov 5, 2001, 9:02 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
MisterNice-

Thanks for the heads up on DT - Dana Point. They took care of me too and automatically upgraded to same type room (Tropez).

Great ocean view, full breakfast coupons w/o asking, etc.

I do agree with a prior poster that if you can't get ocean view room, skip the property. Non ocean views have great views of I-5 along with the noise.
Old Nov 5, 2001, 6:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TropicalFlyer:
I'm thinking of planning a meeting at this hotel. Anyone stay here before?

TF
</font>
It is not a good hotel. I would do it at the WaterFront Hilton in Huntington Beach. It is a great hotel. If you want some help with the hotel please let me know. I stay there all the time.
Old Nov 6, 2001, 3:35 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
I have to agree with the negative rating.

It looked like a fabulous resort from the website. When we arrived, we found it to be a glorified roadside motel from the 60's.

First of all, we were not allowed to check in when we arrived at 11am (4pm strict check-in). Not even an offer to pre-register us and check our bags - just "go away and come back later - and this to a diamond VIP.

The rooms were very narrow. Their idea of air conditioning was leave it on for 10 hours with the doors and windows closed, and maybe the room would cool off. There was no trail to walk to the local beaches - just cross the highway. And the local beaches were awful.

It turned out to be a dated property in a dated community. Never again.
Old Nov 8, 2001, 9:00 pm

It's also too near the railroad tracks, and the trains going by are very noisy. I stayed here before and didn't like it for all the reasons in the previous posts.
Old Nov 8, 2001, 9:04 pm

I love the water. I stated at this hotel all of the time about 8 yrs ago. I was a Hilton. I cannot remember what happened but I ended up going to the Water Front Hilton. The person at the Dana Point told me I would never be back after staying at the Water Front. They were correct.

Old Sep 8, 2002, 6:04 pm

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
Doubletree Guest Suites Doheny Beach Trip Reports and Reviews

Hi

Stayed at this hotel this weekend, primarily to complete 50,000 bonus point stays and was pleasantly surprised both at the super treatment they give Honors Gold (which isn't a big deal most places) as well the quality of the hotel. So here goes:

Got the room for $62.00 per night. Arrived and was told they had placed us in their best suite (BTW this is an all-suite hotel). The suite was quite spacious-sitting room with fireplace, 27" TV, VCR, microwave, fridge, etc. Bedroom equally large with same size TV and very comfortable beds. But the best part of this suite were the two large balconies outside each room with a panoramic view of the ocean. From one end to the other, you could see the sailboats in Dana Point Harbor-just an incredible view.

Was given breakfast coupons for choice of very good breakfast buffet or order your own. Small gym with tall glass windows all round for views of ocean made the workout a treat.

Staff, hotel, guest, ambience was very upbeat-people really seemed to be having a good time. Bar on 4th floor with live music and good restaurant in lobby.

Oh almost forgot-very nice letter from manager in room welcoming us to hotel. This is my third stay for the promotion:

first was at Hilton Long Beach-quite good.

second at Doubletree Pasadena-very good-coincierge level access and upgraded to suite

third one at this hotel-outstanding

There is a parking fee of about 13 dollars, I believe.

Old Sep 8, 2002, 6:10 pm

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
Ooops! Forgot to mention, the bathroom was huge with shower and jacuzzi tub!
Old Sep 9, 2002, 5:23 am

Dana Point DT is one of my favorite little hotels. It does a little upgrading (already in process), but it's got great views and even good food. Parking fee is too much,but the sundowns from there aregreat.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
DT Doheny Beach

All:

I couldn't find anything on this property, so I was wondering: has anyone stayed at the Doubletree Doheny Beach (near Dana Point)? Specifically, I'm interested in:

a) Rooms (quality, etc.)
b) Gold Amenities
c) Gold Upgrades

I'm specifically interested in *not* paying for the OceanView rooms and rolling the dice on an upgrade to one.

If you have any experiences, that would be great!

Thx,

&lt;G&gt;
Old Apr 21, 2003, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Just FYI, I just did a search on dana point and pulled up a number of threads. Did you try that?
Old Apr 21, 2003, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Thanks! The Dana Point tip really helped out.

I'll write up a report after my stay in July if nothing else!

&lt;G&gt;

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.