Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport {US-VA}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport {US-VA}

Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBD, HH Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond, Nordic Choice Club Platinum, Sixt Diamond, Avis President
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport {US-VA}

Got late in to IAD yesterday from Europe and went straigth to bed,

When waking up in the morning I saw that there was an empty almonds bag in my bed. Easy to conclude, bed linens had not been changed from previous guest.

Complained at check out, further by complaining same day through HH app and thirdly to HH diamond customer service.

So far HH Diamond desk has been the only one to respond :
"I understand your frustration and will address your concerns with the hotel. Please allow three business days for a member of management at the hotel to review and respond to you directly."

Three business days to deal with a situation like this ? For me this is extremely poor customer service.

Just before posting this post, I received email from the hotel. Hotel is regretting this incident and is offering me 20.000 points as compensation for my bad experience.

What do you think ? Is 20.000 points and a apology enough ? Should I escalate this complaint or leave it with the 20.000 points ?

Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:49 pm

20,000 points? That's like a hundred bucks, roughly. For something you didn't notice until the meaningful part of your stay (the sleeping) had already concluded? We all have our own personal standards (hint, mine are low), and I do understand the point of making a philosophical argument for the greater good...but I'd be like "Count it!".

If it were me I'd have just blamed myself, figuring it was some night munchies I'd forgotten about after the long flight.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Musta Pekka
Got late in to IAD yesterday from Europe and went straigth to bed,

When waking up in the morning I saw that there was an empty almonds bag in my bed. Easy to conclude, bed linens had not been changed from previous guest.

Complained at check out, further by complaining same day through HH app and thirdly to HH diamond customer service.

So far HH Diamond desk has been the only one to respond :
"I understand your frustration and will address your concerns with the hotel. Please allow three business days for a member of management at the hotel to review and respond to you directly."

Three business days to deal with a situation like this ? For me this is extremely poor customer service.

Just before posting this post, I received email from the hotel. Hotel is regretting this incident and is offering me 20.000 points as compensation for my bad experience.

What do you think ? Is 20.000 points and a apology enough ? Should I escalate this complaint or leave it with the 20.000 points ?

Aw nuts.

David
Old Aug 1, 2020, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(following CMK10 's format, minus a few pics)

Stay Report: 07/30/20 - 07/31/20

Location: 6 miles north of IAD off Route 28. Hotel continues to have an airport shuttle in this CV-19 era but had a rental vehicle so used free self parking.

Hotel: Been staying at this property for a number of years so I think the last remodel was over a half decade ago.

Check In: Got into lobby just after 6 pm - the shuttle brought a bunch of folks. Had checked in via the app and requested a digital key but unfortunately told the app I would get in after 7 pm so no digital key available yet. When less than clueful FDA noted that all shuttle folks were using vouchers, he told them that he needed a few more minutes. That's when I and my colleague stepped forward to ask to get our room keys. Oh, FDA podia have plexiglass in front now and customer/guest can insert their credit cards into machine in front of each podium.

Room: I'd preselected 410 but FDA offered key to 310. Didn't want to go to the mat on the 1 floor change so took the key. Perhaps if I were by myself I might have pushed back.

310 (and 410): 2 queen room:

note safety sticker was broken - others in the hallway were intact:

received a letter confirming what was available (and 2 bottles of water as Diamond at check in):

note that even number rooms look out over Atlantic Boulevard and the warehouse across the street:

other room features:

(forgot to photo mini fridge)

hotel layout+:

Grab n go breakfast since restaurant and Executive Lounge are closed:

why both apple and apple juice? FWIW, my colleague received an orange and OJ.

Will I return? Probably/eventually. But I would have picked somewhere else instead of here at this time since I'd called ahead and unfortunately knew that there wasn't much of value as a Diamond now. However, since my colleague had set up the trip, this time it wasn't my decision.

David
Old Apr 9, 2022, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Notes from 04/07/22-04/08/22 stay:

Executive Lounge is still closed but the restaurant is open; coffee machine in Executive Lounge is inop
Breakfast buffet option in the restaurant is ~$12 so $15 F/B credit can cover the whole meal; breakfast is served 6 am - 10 am
Kitchen is so-so at keeping the buffet stations replenished and restaurant is short staffed with only one server who can easily get tied up by one guest
Odd mix of soap/toiletries now provided:

David
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 5:32 am

FYI - I remember when they were building this. It was built as a Sheraton and was completed around the time of the 2008 economic collapse, but never opened. They had the name up top and everything. It sat there vacant for ages until it was finally opened as a DoubleTree in 2010.

It was built to the Sheraton design standards, that's why it looks a lot like Sheratons built around the same time like Tarrytown, Rockville, Augusta, Erie, Jacksonville, BWI, JFK (closed), Dulles (now a Courtyard) etc.

I seem to remember they even had some of the geegaws around the roof line, and removed them when it switched to Doubleree...

This hotel:

Sheraton Tarrytown:

Sheraton Jacksonville:

Sheraton Rockville:

Last edited by James Luckard; Apr 10, 2022 at 5:37 am
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by James Luckard
FYI - I remember when they were building this. It was built as a Sheraton and was completed around the time of the 2008 economic collapse, but never opened. They had the name up top and everything. It sat there vacant for ages until it was finally opened as a DoubleTree in 2010.

It was built to the Sheraton design standards, that's why it looks a lot like Sheratons built around the same time like Tarrytown, Rockville, Augusta, Erie, Jacksonville, BWI, JFK (closed), Dulles (now a Courtyard) etc.

I seem to remember they even had some of the geegaws around the roof line, and removed them when it switched to Doubleree...

This hotel:

Sheraton Tarrytown:

Sheraton Jacksonville:

Sheraton Rockville:
Well, that explains the lounge on the top floor exiting the elevator..

David
James Luckard likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.