Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What are current Hampton Inn breakfasts during the pandemic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I realize it can differ from one hotel to the next, but if you've stayed at a Hampton since they stopped having an open buffet, what have you found?

Yes, I've seen references to grab-and-go bags in FT threads here and there, but no specifics about what selection was available in the grab-and-go bags.

Thanks for any input.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Been in a handful of Hamptons over the past few weeks.

All bags have included a piece of fresh fruit (orange or banana) and a fruit/granola bar. Some have included a bottle of water and flavoring/supplement packet. One had an individually wrapped muffin.

I'm in a Hilton Garden now and when I asked about breakfast bags, the front desk agent looked at me like I had a 3rd eyeball. They said they have "ceased all foot and beverage service" and a bottle of water would be brought up to my room later. Pretty stingy.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583
They said they have "ceased all foot and beverage service" and a bottle of water would be brought up to my room later. Pretty stingy.
Honestly I can't really fault them. There's no appreciable upside and we haven't even gotten to the phase of this whole mess where the lawyers have started sharpening their knives. F&B at this juncture just sounds like begging to be censured by state/local authorities (with their constantly fluctuating, entangled web of quasi-binding orders) or to invite civil liability on account of any guests that fall ill.
Old May 13, 2020, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I'm in a Hilton Garden now and when I asked about breakfast bags, the front desk agent looked at me like I had a 3rd eyeball. They said they have "ceased all foot and beverage service" and a bottle of water would be brought up to my room later. Pretty stingy.
Boooooo!

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Honestly I can't really fault them. There's no appreciable upside and we haven't even gotten to the phase of this whole mess where the lawyers have started sharpening their knives. F&B at this juncture just sounds like begging to be censured by state/local authorities (with their constantly fluctuating, entangled web of quasi-binding orders) or to invite civil liability on account of any guests that fall ill.
Hate to say it but they had liability before. If someone want to try to prove that they got COVID-19 from a buffet or breakfast service vs. from them simply touching a door knob and scratching their nose, should be an interesting set of cases.

David
the810, strickerj and dmarge18 like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Hampton can easily put together snack bags in lieu of their breakfast offering. HGI positions itself further upmarket from Hampton and offers a brand standard hot breakfast for Diamonds. They can easily put an orange and a water bottle in a paper bag.

This HGI said no food at all, even pre-packaged snacks for purchase.

This is beyond lawyers and liability.
Old May 13, 2020, 8:42 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Hampton can easily put together snack bags in lieu of their breakfast offering. HGI positions itself further upmarket from Hampton and offers a brand standard hot breakfast for Diamonds. They can easily put an orange and a water bottle in a paper bag.

In many places in order to do food service you need a "certified food handler" on staff. It is possibly this individual has been laid off.

I think they are still permitted to give out prepackaged snacks or serve coffee without having a "certified food handler" though.

Maybe they have no money for throwing fruit and water into a paper bag.

I understand cuts in services given low occupancy and they have slashed staffing. I would not expect the usual Cook to Order Breakfast in a Hilton Garden Inn anymore. I would expect a corresponding cut in rates. I am not seeing that.
Old May 14, 2020, 3:33 am

I mentioned not just lawyers but also the tangled mess of various orders/directives/etc. coming out of jurisdictions. Many of them could be interpreted in a way as having a requirement to shut down foodservice operations wholesale, and some may even be explicitly written as such. My point was that from both a liability and a compliance perspective, the property is in a tough spot and the conservative/safe approach would be to completely absolve themselves of it. I'm willing to give them a pass given the unknowns and the fluidity of the situation; if you want to pound the table then go for it.
Old May 14, 2020, 4:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I called the DoubleTree I'll be staying at and they told me no food period. And told me I can order UberEats 🙄
Old May 14, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
A case of YMMV. Two weeks ago stayed in a Hilton Garden Inn and two days latter a Hampton Inn that were sharing the same parking lot. The Hilton Garden Inn offered zip the Hampton Inn had the usual 'Grab and Go' bags. Both hotels had the same health Governor -State and county Virus regs posted.
EDIT: It was a Tru across from the Hampton Inn. The Hilton Garden Inn was a mile away. I checked with the night manager at the Tru and was told they didn't even have coffee in the lobby due to local virus regs.

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; May 14, 2020 at 8:10 am
Old May 14, 2020, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure how one says anything without even knowing either the specific location or the rules applicable to food service licenses in the specific jurisdiction. Many places can't or, would need to dedicate an employee to the process, or would be required to surrender their food service license and then spend however long it takes to go through relicensing with public hearings, after this all passes.

​​​​​​​Best to have all the facts first.
arlflyer likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Not sure how one says anything without even knowing either the specific location or the rules applicable to food service licenses in the specific jurisdiction. Many places can't or, would need to dedicate an employee to the process, or would be required to surrender their food service license and then spend however long it takes to go through relicensing with public hearings, after this all passes.

Best to have all the facts first.
​​​​​​​My issue is, if the hotel is in the same city and state with all other restaurants, grocery stores, UberEats, etc How come they just can't at least contract a vending machine service for chips and candy bars at least. Really sucks 😔 I plan to just walk to a grocery store unfortunately.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
I stayed at the Hampton Inn Waco, TX two nights ago.

Front desk was unmanned every time I passed it. Normal self serve coffee table had been moved behind checkout counter.
There was a sign saying “call us and we’ll get your coffee or tea for you - don’t come behind our front desk.”

I eventually saw a single employee and asked about breakfast. She informed me that there was a to-go bag with drink, fruit, and some bread item. She mentioned bagels. I envisioned, however, it was all probably one of those sticky, Teflon wrapped Sara Lee blueberry muffins, a small Dasani water bottle, and a banana... so I slept in and went out to a very nice Organic-hipster type local eatery instead. (Which had outdoor tables and allowed people to eat food they brought out to them.)

I usually stay at the HGI or Hilton there, but the breakfast and lounge would be the differentiatiors in my down select... and those factors are now moot. So I went with “cheapest” as it was literally just a bed and a shower experience this go-round. I can’t see paying more for a hotel with all the amenities I value being closed.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
I stayed at the Hampton Inn Waco, TX two nights ago.

Front desk was unmanned every time I passed it. Normal self serve coffee table had been moved behind checkout counter.
There was a sign saying “call us and we’ll get your coffee or tea for you - don’t come behind our front desk.”

I eventually saw a single employee and asked about breakfast. She informed me that there was a to-go bag with drink, fruit, and some bread item. She mentioned bagels. I envisioned, however, it was all probably one of those sticky, Teflon wrapped Sara Lee blueberry muffins, a small Dasani water bottle, and a banana... so I slept in and went out to a very nice Organic-hipster type local eatery instead. (Which had outdoor tables and allowed people to eat food they brought out to them.)

I usually stay at the HGI or Hilton there, but the breakfast and lounge would be the differentiatiors in my down select... and those factors are now moot. So I went with “cheapest” as it was literally just a bed and a shower experience this go-round. I can’t see paying more for a hotel with all the amenities I value being closed.
Exactly 💯. I thought of the same thing. Just to stay at a quality inn for half the costs. But, I changed my mind because I need to stay for 10 days, and I rather be in a suite and away from the highway off ramp clientele😃 Besides that I'm using all points. Easy decision.
Old May 14, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
A comparison point- got an e-mail from Motel One (Germany-based 'budget design' chain that is part of the basis for Tru) and here are their 'grab and go' breakfast options:

https://www.motel-one.com/en/food-an...eakfast-to-go/
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Hyatt Globalist
Yesterday I was at a Hampton Inn in Miami that had coffee in the lobby, but no breakfast at all. Last weekend I was at a Home2Suites in Austin that had breakfast bags to go - I don't remember if they had coffee available in the lobby, because my favorite coffee shop was just down the road, which is a factor in booking this hotel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.