Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Went to The Ledge for dinner last night. Worth noting that the Chicken people have pointed out as being good value was not on the dinner menu this evening. Furthermore, if you are not ‘foodies’ I would hesitate to
recommend this place to you - particularly the small plates section. For us however, we found the whole thing fantastic. Highlight being the steak and lobster. The whole lobster seemed like a relative (note -
‘relative’!) bargain at 120. The small plates’ are literally single bites. Delicious but expensive single bites. So when we asked for 1 of the fish and chips, they said get 2. Similarly with scotch eggs. One mouthful.

I have incl. pics below of each dish we had. Full disclosure: This meal was complimentary following our disappointing room service the prev night. They were v quick to put that right by offering us this on the house. We were going anyway, but I would be lying if I said we would have ran up the same 900 dollar bill. We are going again this evening at 17:00 for the lunch menu which is more reasonably priced and has burgers, chicken sandwiches etc. Oh the sourdough at 8 dollars is massive btw - fill your boots!

Interestingly only The Ledge, Terra and Li Long are open tonight. We were looking forward to a return to Yasmeen but found out they had closed it for this evenings service at breakfast. Not sure why!

Overall the food was a delight, but a pricey one!

again - apologies for sore necks. I promise they are uploaded the right way round!

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Thing is, whether you agree with me or not, I haven't seen a single post here or anywhere else on the net that says "the food here is good value". Maybe one or two about the chicken but that's it. I rest my case, LOL
Oh no. Wait til you see my latest post regarding the Chicken... it’s not there!

Originally Posted by flyerchatter
Does anyone know the pricing for the dinner buffet held tonight at Tasting Table?
It’s not a buffet. I did ask about this and was told it’s just the IVD menu but in the restaurant...

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 13, 2019 at 10:28 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by james0499
It’s not a buffet. I did ask about this and was told it’s just the IVD menu but in the restaurant...
No there was a buffet on last night. Complete with a sushi and sashimi bar, racks of roasted chicken, and an outdoor fish grill. Thanks for sharing your photos from The Ledge.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by flyerchatter
No there was a buffet on last night. Complete with a sushi and sashimi bar, racks of roasted chicken, and an outdoor fish grill. Thanks for sharing your photos from The Ledge.
DAMN! Was it just last night?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by james0499
DAMN! Was it just last night?
Yes I believe so. The sushi looked good!

You should make a suggestion for there to be sushi at breakfast. The breakfast looks pretty bare bones at the moment. A bigger made-to-order menu and a sushi section would be lovely!

Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:11 am

People asking about how to eat more cost effectively*...
the Ledge is open and serving the lunch menu til 5:30 (not 4:30 as it says on the iPad). So if you arrive at 5:15 you can order from that and it’s great value vs evening and it still is getting into the evening. The burger is fantastic (32) as is the chicken sandwich (30), fries (12) and sourdough (8).

We also got the lobster again as it was ace and they only charged 95 (as opposed to 120 on the menu). Great experience all round.

*note I didn’t say ‘cheap’!!!

Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Francesca Anwari
Hi! So excited to arrive next week for a 5 night stay and enjoyed reading up on the reviews and tips on this thread. One thing that I haven't seen discussed much was the complimentary photo shoot that is provided. Has anyone who has already stayed at the property taken advantage of this? My husband and I are celebrating our wedding anniversary while down there and would like to do this or one of the private photo shoots that they provide but would like to know other people's experiences as well as the quality of the photos taken prior to booking the service.
We did the complimentary photo shoot. It won't be advertised as much so you will have to ask your concierge to get it scheduled for you. We wanted to do it around sunset hours. Since that is close to closing time for the photographer on the island, we were given an option to do only 15 minutes of photo shoot, and that was fine with me and my wife. We had the photos hoot on the beach near the wedding pavilion with the sunset in the background. Since we only did 15 minutes, the photographer was nice to give us electronic copies of our high resolution photos - which we were able to print for cheap after coming back!

The photographer's good and skilled.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:07 pm

Current upgrade/downgrade pricing? I have 5 nights booked on points in BV - we'd like at least a few nights in OWV, but I've seen some conflicting info here re: moving from BV to OWV. Really I have identical reservations booked at StR and WA and am leaning towards WA all else equal. I expect StR upgrade (which must be for entire stay) to run me around $2,500.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by thetaxman29
Current upgrade/downgrade pricing? I have 5 nights booked on points in BV - we'd like at least a few nights in OWV, but I've seen some conflicting info here re: moving from BV to OWV. Really I have identical reservations booked at StR and WA and am leaning towards WA all else equal. I expect StR upgrade (which must be for entire stay) to run me around $2,500.
If your reservation is for 2020, you should be able to upgrade to RV or OV for free.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by thetaxman29
I recently booked BV on points for 2020, and then contacted the hotel directly after the reservation was confirmed. They changed us to a Reef Villa no problem.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:50 pm

Lol, ive asked this like 1000 times but..
If you already booked a grand reef upgrade for 400++ in 2020. Will they refund you 200$ if you were to ask (due to the current "free upgrade or whatnot from standard BV to RV")
Is the grand upgrade still at 200$ is what I'm mainly asking.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:58 pm

Since I’m new to the Maldives. Question, how should I determine gratuity for Butler and Housekeeping ?

Originally Posted by Ejdndkak
Hi.do they charge extra for a third person? I mean your kids.

Dose any one know do they charge extra for a third person?
I will take my daughter there(3 years old)
sorry I missed this. I booked on points and searched with 2 adults 2 kids selected. Which is why availability for 2 queens only came up I’m assuming.

No extra charge that I’m aware of. They also had a roll away ready when we arrived that we didn’t ask for which has been utilized

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 27, 2019 at 7:00 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by kellyjo7
Since I’m new to the Maldives. Question, how should I determine gratuity for Butler and Housekeeping ?
None. Employees share the mandatory 10% service charge.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:03 pm

No tipping needed.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Hilton, Marriot, United, Amex, Cit
Hey Everyone,

thanks for all of the reviews/tips/pointers so far on this forum!

I am on my way to the airport now for a 7 night stay ( 6 nights pts, 1 weekend cert) and will be documenting the adventure on my instagram page TravelLikeTommy so tune in for detailed reviews.

I am a diamond member & booked a beach villa but have already been given a complimentary upgrade to a king OWV. No luck with getting the outrageous transfer reduced yet but am going to keep at it.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by rish
We did the complimentary photo shoot. It won't be advertised as much so you will have to ask your concierge to get it scheduled for you. We wanted to do it around sunset hours. Since that is close to closing time for the photographer on the island, we were given an option to do only 15 minutes of photo shoot, and that was fine with me and my wife. We had the photos hoot on the beach near the wedding pavilion with the sunset in the background. Since we only did 15 minutes, the photographer was nice to give us electronic copies of our high resolution photos - which we were able to print for cheap after coming back!

The photographer's good and skilled.
Thanks for the reply! That sounds like a good deal, did they give you all the images that they took? Were they edited at all? Leaning more towards doing one of their private photo shoots since it includes all the images plus a couple of prints for less than their other packages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.