Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
My girlfriend really likes seeing the fish around the resort. We ate at Ithaa when we visited a few years ago, but I doubt we'll do that again when we return next month.

I recently read some old blogs mentioning a daily fish feeding at Mandhoo, do they still do that, can anyone go and watch that?

Has anyone ever brought there own fish food to throw to the fish around the bridge and walkways? What works? Last time, I smuggled a roll out of the buffet and threw them pieces of that but some of the fish didn't seem too interested.
I'll see what I can find out since I'm here now. Also smuggled in some Cheez-its and Oreos, maybe they've big Oreo fans?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Smaller fish work well. Plankton is best if you can find it. The Plankton King at the airport has a decent variety, but the prices are murder.
Thanks, I'll be in Bangkok for a few days before the trip should I look for a pet/aquarium store that sells some kind of plankton fish food? I'd rather not bring actual fish in my luggage I'm sure there must be rules against that.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:16 pm

Thanks, I'll be in Bangkok for a few days before the trip should I look for a pet/aquarium store that sells some kind of plankton fish food? I'd rather not bring actual fish in my luggage I'm sure there must be rules against that.
I don't think it would be wise to bring any of these things into the country. Customs rules and all. Maybe nick some sushi from breakfast? No word on whether the fish like wasabi or soy sauce.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Shark feeding

As far as I recall from 3 years ago it's not a fish feeding really, more of a small reef shark feeding. My son was swimming just off ManDoo and they asked him to get out before they threw in the food. I appreciated that.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:45 am

My girlfriend really likes seeing the fish around the resort. We ate at Ithaa when we visited a few years ago, but I doubt we'll do that again when we return next month.

I recently read some old blogs mentioning a daily fish feeding at Mandhoo, do they still do that, can anyone go and watch that?

Has anyone ever brought there own fish food to throw to the fish around the bridge and walkways? What works? Last time, I smuggled a roll out of the buffet and threw them pieces of that but some of the fish didn't seem too interested.
1:30pm daily fish feeding at Mandhoo except for Mondays. I'll probably go at some point this trip and will report back with how it is.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:16 am

Please, please, pleeeeease don't feed bread (or oreos!) to the fish. They can't digest it, it does horrible things to their insides: some die, others just get very unwell. Fish aren't the smartest animals and they'll eat pretty much whatever you feed them.

It's not good to feed them at all (see here: http://www.reeftraveler.com/2012/02/...-the-fish.html) and is against all good environmental practices. Yes, you'll see staff and and guests still feeding the fish but that doesn't make it ok. If you decide to ignore this, please only feed them what they can eat: you could try fish food (no problem bringing this through customs if it's the dried stuff although I've no idea if they'll like it) or fish. If you ask nicely, I'm sure the waiters will let you have some sushi from the buffet.

Sorry, this wasn't meant to be a lecture, but I think this isn't something that everyone knows.

Last edited by passionforhotels; Jul 21, 2018 at 3:26 am
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by passionforhotels
Please, please, pleeeeease don't feed bread (or oreos!) to the fish. They can't digest it, it does horrible things to their insides: some die, others just get very unwell. Fish aren't the smartest animals and they'll eat pretty much whatever you feed them.

It's not good to feed them at all (see here: http://www.reeftraveler.com/2012/02/...-the-fish.html) and is against all good environmental practices. Yes, you'll see staff and and guests still feeding the fish but that doesn't make it ok. If you decide to ignore this, please only feed them what they can eat: you could try fish food (no problem bringing this through customs if it's the dried stuff although I've no idea if they'll like it) or fish. If you ask nicely, I'm sure the waiters will let you have some sushi from the buffet.

Sorry, this wasn't meant to be a lecture, but I think this isn't something that everyone knows.
OK, I'll stick with the Cheez-its.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:17 pm

Private whale shark

Has anyone ever done a private whale shark excursion from Conrad? I recall reading a post in this forum about it, but can't find it. In the past, we've done it through the Conrad's excursion desk (twice) but are thinking of trying to do a private one on a day when the resort is not operating it's excursion. We will be there November 15-21. Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:36 pm

Agree.
It's just like if you are on a safari, you shouldnt be giving raw meat to lions to get them to come closer.
It disrupts the ecosystem and their natural survival instinct of hunting for food themselves.

Even stray cats stop catching mice when someone feeds them leftover every evening.

I was quite upset when I went out on a snorkeling trip in South Pacific and they throw bread crumbs to get the fishes to congregate.
Or throw small fishes to get the rays and black tip sharks to come.
These surprised me, as I wasnt prepared to see that.
But after spending some time mulling over my conflicting emotions, I concluded that I am the naive one here.

How else can the tour operators keep customers happy if they spend $$$ to fly 10+ hrs to a dream destination, stay in $$$ resorts, and then go on an expensive boat trip and see nothing?
I wouldnt be surprised if it's the same in Maldives as well when you go out on an ocean excursion.

I should emphasize that, by no means, I am a tree hugger.
Far from that in fact
But I think many are simply not aware of this or thought from another perspective, just like what passionforhotels said.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
Agree.
It's just like if you are on a safari, you shouldnt be giving raw meat to lions to get them to come closer.
It disrupts the ecosystem and their natural survival instinct of hunting for food themselves.
100%. My previous answers were tongue-in-cheek. You do not want to upset the ecosystem or train the fish to see humans as a source of food. If nothing else, it would make snorkeling unpleasant.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:18 pm

The sarcasm clearly didn't land - thought suggesting they're big Oreo fans would do it. It took up a lot of bag space to smuggle in my food, I'm not wasting it on fish and it's obviously not fish food. Plus there are plenty of fish around anyways without the need to feed them anything. You can find plenty of reef sharks and rays just walking the beach or hanging at the bungalow it really doesn't seem necessary.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by lizakramer
Has anyone ever done a private whale shark excursion from Conrad? I recall reading a post in this forum about it, but can't find it. In the past, we've done it through the Conrad's excursion desk (twice) but are thinking of trying to do a private one on a day when the resort is not operating it's excursion. We will be there November 15-21. Thanks.
We did a few years ago. (Wasn’t me that posted about it previously so is still worth you seeing if you can track down that post if it had the info you were looking for.). Not sure what you’re keen to know? Was pretty pricey; was (obviously!) private; was good; was totally bespoke to what you ask for; happened to not see a single one that time (but that’s just luck).
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:02 am

Went to the feeding at Mandhoo today - there were probably a dozen reef sharks in total in the vicinity and a bunch of other fish. The most interesting part was that they were feeding the fish Oreos. I stand corrected - apparently they are big fans.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:15 am

Are there any benefits at this property for returning Diamond members that first time Diamond members don't get? I thought I remembered that. Was the Vilu happy hour or afternoon tea previously for returning Diamonds only or something like that?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Are there any benefits at this property for returning Diamond members that first time Diamond members don't get?
No, I don't remember / know of any.

Was the Vilu happy hour or afternoon tea previously for returning Diamonds only or something like that?
Both are open even for Gold "first timers".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.