Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by neuro0
Can someone point out to me on the resort map where are the Grand water villas and all other new types of water villas are? I know they are the former retreat water villas but that's all I know?
Booked a standard WV now, hoping to upgrade to one with a whirlpool and not far from the beach. Thank you!
Did you check the maps in the wiki? There is at least one that has labels.

Originally Posted by PowerMan572
Due to the nature of our hotel we have aligned our standards with our sister properties in Maldives therefor the Afternoon Tea is no longer available however as a Diamond member you can always enjoy Cocktail Hour.
What a crock of.....well, you know.....
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
In this context, the meaning of sister hotels may be other Blackstone properties in the maldives and not other Hilton hotels.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by high_dang

Unless they are talking about WA, which is brand new and price point wise isn't even close to each other.
  • Complimentary daily breakfast for two at Tasting Table.
  • In-villa VIP welcome champagne, sweet and savory amenities.
  • With a selected 60-minute massage, enjoy a complimentary additional 30-minute at Waldorf Astoria Spa.
  • Complimentary daily afternoon delights with a fine selection of beverages crafted by mixologist and sommelier from 16:00 to 17:00 at Peacock Alley.
  • 50% special offer on selected beverages at Nava Beach Club from 22:00 to 23:30.
All these changes are a huge disappointment especially for those that already been contacted by the reservation department with a list of benefits and now they are taking away most of it without even updating anyone on it.
Well to be fair the benefits match the WA now. Might make switching decisions become easier.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by mendezka
Well to be fair the benefits match the WA now. Might make switching decisions become easier.
We are quite late to this since our honeymoon will be in mid Jan. I just checked and they only have premium award left which cost north of 1 million points/night... I don't know what to say to that.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by high_dang
We are quite late to this since our honeymoon will be in mid Jan. I just checked and they only have premium award left which cost north of 1 million points/night... I don't know what to say to that.
😂 and that's why Blackstone isnt gonna be too worried about these changes hurting them.

I just want it to be said, as annoying as a lot of the changes are, my wife and I still had the best vacation of our lives. It was our first time at rangali, we're mid 20's. We snorkel'd every day, ocean was great, so many of the staff were amazing. (Funnily enough, the nicest staff members were the ones that mentioned they were doing an internship &#128514.

I used credit card points saved up over the past couple years and felt I got the best value I could have ever gotten.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:25 pm

Rangali Bar menu, SWV & TQZ condition, Koko Grill etc - DoO's replies

Rangali Bar
I C+P'd (and linked to) a couple of @Lobonomnom's posts and sent it to Alex, the DoO. This is his response
As for Rangali Bar we do still serve dinners there but this will change within this month to a snack menu for a more casual and lighter dining options verses the buffet or a la carte outlets.
So it's not going to be barren, just limited and different. Still a mistake IMHO. I will post pics in a few weeks when I arrive if someone else hasn't already. As you can imagine, I was pretty concerned as it's getting pretty close to our trip and we'll be staying for a whole month. We weren't planning on dining at Rangali Bar more than twice a week but still, I thought it was pretty disasterous when I first read the news.

SWVs, TQZ & General Maintenance
As for the comments made about the SWVs, TQZ etc, I also C+P'd (and linked to) the two posts a few pages back. Here are Alex's replies
Beach Villas where renovated 3 years ago an Delux BV last year and this. We are repairing and patching the Water Villas but full refurbishment will not start until end of April of next year. The Quiet Zone pool tiles on the engineering side need constant repair and is done periodically. The boards where all ripped off during a storm and have been replaced.
We had a particular long spell of rainy and sometimes very rainy weather unexpectedly and for such a long time which has put us behind a bit in maintenance, but rest assured this will be attended too [sic] before your arrival.
I've upgraded to a SWV for 10 of our 32 nights so was pretty worried about that too. However, after receiving that reply I do have confidence that whatever SWV we get will be in the best condition that it can be in when we check in.

Koko Grill
We've never tried this on previous visits so the negative review sounded a bit scary as well. Here's the reply to my C+P of the complaints a few pages back regarding the dinner
Mise en place(raw food items) are pre-portioned in a plate as per number of bookings, and cling wrapped for hygiene standard purposes and All courses are cooked individually in front of the guest and are plated in front of them, and nothing is pre-cooked

Comments welcome, ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Dec 7, 2019 at 3:30 pm
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jtz
Been a couple of months now since I visited Rangali. I was wondering what other Hilton/Conrads are worth going to after visiting somewhere like Rangali.
Note sure where my next redemption should be. I loved the quiet secluded island life of Rangali, but would like to stay somewhere similar but with a little bit more going on.
Would love your reccommendations
Thanks

I just visited WA Casa Marina Key West and was very disappointed, it is a WA in name only but is a run down property.

I also recently visited WA Grand Wailea and it is a huge step down from WA Ithaafushi and Conrad Maldives, because it's a high property with lots of families and you feel like cattle.

Conrad Koh Samui and Hilton Northolme Seychelles are very nice but just lack the amazing beach access of the Maldives properties.

Conrad Osaka is fantastic if you want an urban property.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Rangali Bar
I C+P'd (and linked to) a couple of @Lobonomnom's posts and sent it to Alex, the DoO. This is his response
Thanks. My follow up questions would be why does the website say food until 6 and recent guests say food are reporting food was served until 6 if you are still serving dinners now?

What will be on the snack menu?

And why this move to cut out dinners and a la carte meals from Rangali Bar (in the future, he claims) in favor of "snack" items after 6 pm? And has Quiet Zone stopped serving the room service Rangali Bar food after 6 too? Because the webpage for Quiet Zone says 10am - 10 pm and "all day menu."

I've never heard of a food outlet anywhere that serves food all day and then switches to snacks at 6 pm. See if you can find out the "why" from Alex or other staff members when you are there.

Last edited by jphripjah; Dec 7, 2019 at 4:53 pm
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
The link you posted is taking you to the lunch menu at Rangali Bar, which is available until 6pm.

The old Dinner menu Is removed from the website, whereas the new „snack menu“ is not posted yet.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:37 pm

Rangali Bar

So it's not going to be barren, just limited and different. Still a mistake IMHO. I will post pics in a few weeks when I arrive if someone else hasn't already. As you can imagine, I was pretty concerned as it's getting pretty close to our trip and we'll be staying for a whole month. We weren't planning on dining at Rangali Bar more than twice a week but still, I thought it was pretty disasterous when I first read the news.

SWVs, TQZ & General Maintenance
As for the comments made about the SWVs, TQZ etc, I also C+P'd (and linked to) the two posts a few pages back. Here are Alex's replies

I've upgraded to a SWV for 10 of our 32 nights so was pretty worried about that too. However, after receiving that reply I do have confidence that whatever SWV we get will be in the best condition that it can be in when we check in.

Koko Grill
We've never tried this on previous visits so the negative review sounded a bit scary as well. Here's the reply to my C+P of the complaints a few pages back regarding the dinner

Comments welcome, ladies and gentlemen.
So rangai bar has a regular menu until 6p then a snack menu from that point forward?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by mb123
The link you posted is taking you to the lunch menu at Rangali Bar, which is available until 6pm.

The old Dinner menu Is removed from the website, whereas the new „snack menu“ is not posted yet.

OK. I didn't look at the menu, I just looked at the bottom of the page and it says Lunch 11-6 and Happy Hour 5-6. This, plus the removal of the dinner menu online, plus the reports of recent visitors saying they couldn't get any food after 6, seems to contradict the info from Alex that they are currently still serving dinners in Rangali Bar as of right now.

Last edited by jphripjah; Dec 7, 2019 at 5:08 pm
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Lobonomnom
The dining was okay. Like the other person discovered, the most economically friendly way to eat on the island is to order in villa dining. You don’t spend $15 for each bottle of water by doing so. We had both lunch and dinner at Ufaa, enjoyed both, and the prices there are fairly affordable. This may not be new, but we were surprised that Rangali Bar does not serve food after 6, which makes in villa dining the only non fine dining on the island which does not require a reservation in the evenings. We had diamond breakfast at both Atoll and Vilu and enjoyed Vilu more just because Atoll had zero breeze or airflow and was uncomfortably hot while Vilu always had a nice breeze. I’m not sure when it changed, but the wiki stated diamond members can order in villa breakfast for a $15++ tray charge but this is no longer the case. Our last day we ordered in villa breakfast and were charged $30++ per person for it and they said it is no longer a diamond benefit.
Your $30 per person charge for in-villa breakfast seems inconsistent with the $18 delivery charge that someone else mentioned (that's $18 per order, right?). Or did the $18 thing also go out the window?

Rangali Bar
I'm sure you'll be fine. As I said in my review upthread, I thought our SWV 334 was fantastic. I can't say it felt brand spanking new, but it was clean and in great shape, everything worked and it felt very luxurious. Then again I live in a tiny place full of junk, so my standards may be different.

I should add that I was very impressed by turndown service. The turndown service here is essentially a second full housekeeping service of the day, and that was so nice because you go through so many towels and bring in so much sand throughout the day at a beach resort like this.

This Rangali Bar change is annoying and I agree with someone who said that it is a way to steer people towards the $95 buffet. We have that, plus the elimination of afternoon tea, elimination of free Conrad departure lounge use for Diamonds, elimination of kids-eat-free off kids' menu. But this is the only 5-star property in the world where one can stay in an above-water villa for 95k points, isn't it? I've looked into Grand Wailea, Koh Samui, Bora Bora. There's no better alternative imho, erosion of benefits notwithstanding. At least the in-room water and full breakfast buffet are still free, so let's hope those continue. As long as they continue to offer WV for 95k, I will count my blessings and will surely be back. I do understand why people are complaining, though.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
I've looked into Grand Wailea,
Don't do it. I was just there for 5 nights wondering "Why would anyone spend 380,000 points to spend 5 nights here when they could stay at Conrad Maldives instead?"
Old Dec 8, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)

Koko Grill

Aside from the beef and lobster (the meat itself), nothing else was cooked on that teppan (or indeed anywhere else in the Koko kitchen).

Not to say we didn't enjoy the meal, it was decent. Service was on point as well. But at $740 inc for two and an entry level bottle of white, the price is way too high for pre-prepared food. We'd have much rather done the Wine Cellar dinner again (and still saved $100 off the total in doing so).

As for other comments - TQZ bar was open later than 6pm when we were there, but did stop serving food at 6. And yes, the singer at Rangali was hilarious
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
Your $30 per person charge for in-villa breakfast seems inconsistent with the $18 delivery charge that someone else mentioned (that's $18 per order, right?). Or did the $18 thing also go out the window? .
Ordering off of the In Villa dining menu for lunch, dinner, or late-night has an $18++ delivery fee per order. If you order the in villa continental breakfast, it is $30++ per person and they do not charge the $18++ delivery fee. You used to be able to get in villa breakfast for $15++ delivery fee as a diamond but that benefit is gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.