Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by FlugE
What is this Tapas dinner, is it a new thing? Where is it served?
No idea for how long they've been doing this now. It's in the Cheese & Wine Bar where the Cheese Fondue is served as well. It's a 2-course-set for 132++ pp excluding drinks and it's Wednesdays and Sundays only, reservation required. First course is a 10 items Tapas Platter including softshell-crab, prawns, beef tenderloin with foie gras and others. Second course is a cheese platter with three cheeses of your choice from their selection.
You can email them, if you wanna know what restaurants and options they have and where and when things happening. Or I can forward the reply-email I received a month ago (pretty up-to-date) to anyone, PM me.

Last edited by alp67; Feb 19, 2018 at 4:19 am
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by alp67
Absolutely agree, way overpriced but what can you do? They are charging retail price x5 to x10 plus plus. IMO, there's only one "bargain" on their extensive winelist and maybe a couple of others not heavily overpriced wines. The one is just double the retail price, so my guess is that might be an "error fare"?
Would you mind sharing which wines you feel are good value on their list?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by p78
I'm Planing next year trip,

Diamond Cruise is still on Thursdays?
Yes, it is.

Originally Posted by alp67
No idea for how long they've been doing this now. It's in the Cheese & Wine Bar where the Cheese Fondue is served as well. It's a 2-course-set for 132++ pp excluding drinks and it's Wednesdays and Sundays only, reservation required. First course is a 10 items Tapas Platter including softshell-crab, prawns, beef tenderloin with foie gras and others. Second course is a cheese platter with three cheeses of your choice from their selection.
As well as delicious it's reeeaally filling. We've never been able to finish ours. It's been running for at least 5 years, probably a lot longer. I guess some of the regulars who've been going for 10 or more years could tell you. And thanks for the update on the price.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Feb 19, 2018 at 6:58 am
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
Hi Maldives Freak,

I have stayed a few times as Diamond and never was offered a diamond cruise. Do you know who I need to ask for this? I am leaving on Wednesday for 8 nights.

Thanks,

Timo

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Yes, it is.

As well as delicious it's reeeaally filling. We've never been able to finish ours. It's been running for at least 5 years, probably a lot longer. I guess some of the regulars who've been going for 10 or more years could tell you. And thanks for the update on the price.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:39 am

do you guys have any must-do recommendations while in Rangali except just relaxing on the beach? what's worth the $ and what's not worth doing? Do they have jetski to rent? Any other recommended excursions for the first timers on the honeymoon?

Thanks as always
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
As for the water debate, just drink the water from the bottles. Plenty of it as staff does good job replenishing it. We shoved a few in the fridge and rotated them through always having cold bottles. Why risk tap if you don’t have to?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:43 pm

does conrad rangali still offer free male city tour on the day of departure from the resort? i have read abt this on some blogs, who also mention it's not advertised but only given when inquired abt it.

most international flights leave later in the night, while seaplane only operate before sunset. so this leaves perhaps 5+ hrs or so free time at the airport.(and you cant enter airport that early)
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gnomey
does conrad rangali still offer free male city tour on the day of departure from the resort? i have read abt this on some blogs, who also mention it's not advertised but only given when inquired abt it.

most international flights leave later in the night, while seaplane only operate before sunset. so this leaves perhaps 5+ hrs or so free time at the airport.(and you cant enter airport that early)
When we visited 2 years ago they definitely offered the free city tour. Found it really interesting.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by jozdemir
When we visited 2 years ago they definitely offered the free city tour. Found it really interesting.
thanks - where did the guide bring you btw? am i right it's not a conrad guide, but rather some freelance guy that hang about airport area?

is it truly free or is it expected that you tip?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:47 pm

Just a guess but with the current political/security situation in Male, I would be surprised if they currently still offered or recommended this (liability reasons etc).
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by timo469
Hi Maldives Freak,

I have stayed a few times as Diamond and never was offered a diamond cruise. Do you know who I need to ask for this? I am leaving on Wednesday for 8 nights.

Thanks,

Timo
There's no use in asking. This is by invitation only. It's only for certain guests who meet certain requirements (of which I've promised not to publically disclose, sorry).

Originally Posted by MJJW1985
do you guys have any must-do recommendations while in Rangali except just relaxing on the beach? what's worth the $ and what's not worth doing? Do they have jetski to rent? Any other recommended excursions for the first timers on the honeymoon?

Thanks as always
They most certainly have jet skis. Do the Deserted Island Picnic if you like the sound of it. Great value for money. The Adventure Snorkelling (on jet skis) is something we're going to do next time round. Sounds good.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by MJJW1985

Thanks as always
Snorkel every day. They'll rent you the gear for free, and you can also borrow a life jacket to make things even more relaxing. You'll see some amazing sea life, and the light physical activity will help you adjust to the time zone and sleep better.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
Unless you're on a flight that departs after midnight or your flight is around 11PM and you get an early seaplane back you don't really have 5 hours, it's more like 3 or 3 1/2 on average because, even though you gain an hour, you have to consider the time it takes to get back (seaplanes are often not on schedule) and then from the seaplane terminal to the airport and the fact that most people enter the airport around an hour before their flight.

And the guide is not a Hilton employee. You may tip if you wish.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Feb 19, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Unless you're on a flight that departs after midnight or your flight is around 11PM and you get an early seaplane back you don't really have 5 hours, it's more like 3 or 3 1/2 on average because of the time difference (you lose an hour when you get back to Male) and the fact that most people enter the airport around an hour before their flight.
I think you got confused there: You "lose" an hour when you get to Rangali, but going back from Rangali to Male you "win" an hour because they are 1hr ahead of Male ;-)
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Snorkel every day. They'll rent you the gear for free, and you can also borrow a life jacket to make things even more relaxing. You'll see some amazing sea life, and the light physical activity will help you adjust to the time zone and sleep better.
I presume life jacket is available in villa, right? how many do they have per villa?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.